Join Early Retirement Today

Bad job or no job?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bad job or no job?

Save this for the next person who tells you, "Well, at least be happy you have a job."

Quote:
A new study says that, income notwithstanding, having a demanding, unstable and thankless job may make you even unhappier than not having a job at all.
Bad Job Blues: Poor-Quality Work Worse For Mental Health Than Unemployment, Study Says - TIME Healthland
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #2

These findings are hard to believe IMO.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Short term, I would rather be unemployed than have a job I hate. However, if I need the money then eventuallly any job is better than no job.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I believe it. I don't have a job and I'm very happy.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It's an easy attitude to have when you're FI. But if you are dependent on the income (and perhaps the Megacorp health insurance), when the rubber hits the road this survey fails the reality test. If people actually practiced what they preach here, a lot more people would be quitting their stressful jobs even with nothing else lined up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The finding doesn't really surprise me. Having no job but still looking for one is purgatory. Stuck in a job that you hate is hell.

FIRE'ing and just doing what you feel like doing is heaven
Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #7

The ego damage from a bad job can be much worse than the ego damage of being unemployed.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #8

All I know is that even when I had a crummy job that I wanted out of, I turned up to work every day, did my very best, and went home with my self-respect intact knowing that I was giving it all I'd got. I made sure not to hang out with the whiners, as they just brought me down.

Even though I didn't like the job that much, some interesting stories came out of it, and it paid my rent - a big plus.

It's wonderful if you can have a job that you love (I did, for a long time), but nowhere is it written that we all have a right to a job we adore. In my mind, a contract of work goes like this: your employer tells you what to do, you do it, and in return, you get paid. Everything else is a bonus.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote