Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Might be different now vs 12 years ago. My old neighbor worked for john deere and strangely didnt have one piece of their equipment. I always meant to ask him about that.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Now, here's the punchline--it has a lifetime guarantee. I turned to the wife and said, "Great--if it breaks I'll just take it out, package it up, send it back for a free replacement, and then wait 6-8 weeks for it to arrive while we're not using the sink for 2 months--NOT".
For reasons I can't remember I once looked up the warranty on my 40 gallon water heater. They would gladly fix it for free any time...as long as I removed it from my house and shipped it to Ohio!

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how many stamps that'd be?

If you lived in the same town as the repair facility, be pretty cool to throw it on the trailer and take it over just to see the look on their faces...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

CFB,
Sounds like most of the things that are rusting out are exposed to the water in your new house. Is it possible that's the culprit? (Different water hardness/pH, use of a softener, etc?)

Most likely it is just junky stuff, though.

Is too soon for me to extol the virtues of my bulletproof Staber washing machine again?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #25

I pretty much buy the cheapest crap possible assuming all the stuff is going to break anyway. I just plan on throwing it away soon and buying new cheap crap when it does break.

And paying $5 for some cheap crap at walmart makes sense versus buying essentially the same cheap crap at Pottery Barn for $50, only to have the item fail very quickly. I haven't really seen much of a quality improvement by consuming Made in USA products either. Could be because ~95% of everything I buy comes from Walmart...

And it's convenient! Where else can you buy a shovel, industrial grade pesticide, a toilet seat, paint, chains, motor oil, windshield wiper blades, children's undergarments, diapers, formula, a baby seat, fresh imported cheeses, fresh cherries, a dvd player, ammo, 2 paddles, 3 life jackets, a boat, 5 lb tube of ground meat, fresh baked bread, a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a bag full of ghetto Big Macs? All in an hour*?

*25 minutes of shopping, 35 minutes of waiting in line to check out...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
CFB,
Sounds like most of the things that are rusting out are exposed to the water in your new house. Is it possible that's the culprit? (Different water hardness/pH, use of a softener, etc?)
I'd love to have an easy culprit like that, but where I live now is 3 miles from where I lived for 7 years...same water supply...nice naturally medium soft water from the sierra nevada runoff. Actually pretty dang close to the same supply we had at my last house as well. No problems with flaking/rusting/peeling before this batch of stuff I bought over the last few months.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Could be because ~95% of everything I buy comes from Walmart...
Heyyyy...are you still working for walmart?

I had to quit walmart shopping for two reasons.

One is that when they went "super", so much stuff got displaced by the food that I always had one or two things on my list that the old 'regular' walmart carried, but the new superwalmart did not.

The other was stocking. Again, at least one or two things I wanted to buy were sold there, but there was an empty space on the shelf where it was supposed to be. An employee told me that when they went "super" they also cut back on inventory stocks so they ran out of stuff all the time.

Nice.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Heyyyy...are you still working for walmart?

The other was stocking. Again, at least one or two things I wanted to buy were sold there, but there was an empty space on the shelf where it was supposed to be. An employee told me that when they went "super" they also cut back on inventory stocks so they ran out of stuff all the time.

Nice.
Still consulting for Walmart every time I get a chance. They are being more conservative in the new store construction so that has reduced how much work I get from them.

I can't stand em, but like capitalism, they are the worst except for every other option available. They are always out of stock of a couple of key items on my list. Lately, it's been the 24 count case of canned cat food of a particular variety. Gone. Shelf empty. When I do see it, I just buy all of the supply they have. Same way with the store brand baby formula. They would hardly ever have it, but when they did, I bought it all. DW has the same problem with cosmetic stuff she uses (high margin beauty supplies too like $12 jars of mystery creams and pastes). You'd think they could figure out that they were constantly running out of stuff and not selling any of a particular item within a few hours after they restocked, what with their fancy-shmancy inventory tracking computer system page screen and all.

If a competitor provided superior service with similar prices a 2 min drive from my neighborhood, I'd be patronizing them instead of Walmart. I can't complain about spending approximately 1-1.5 hours once per week to complete essentially all the shopping for our family of 4 while getting just about the cheapest retail prices available, on average. I hate shopping, by the way.

If costco wasn't rude and incompetent (like walmart) and didn't charge me $50 for the privilege of paying 2-3% extra for most items even though I'm buying them by the gross, I'd probably shop there instead. But why pay extra for crappy customer service when I can get treated like crap much cheaper at walmart, right?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I get the best (actually the ONLY) customer service at costco.

Shoot I just got back from there, and on the way in I dropped off three pages of blue cross paperwork I needed them to fill out to get reimbursed for all the dope drugs we bought over the last 3 months and had to pay cash for, since BC never bothered to send us our insurance cards.

She asks "You have some shopping to do? I'll do these right now and have them ready when you're done".
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Wow, I get the best (actually the ONLY) customer service at costco.

Shoot I just got back from there, and on the way in I dropped off three pages of blue cross paperwork I needed them to fill out to get reimbursed for all the dope drugs we bought over the last 3 months and had to pay cash for, since BC never bothered to send us our insurance cards.

She asks "You have some shopping to do? I'll do these right now and have them ready when you're done".

Ditto that on customer service. I've a downright proprietary feeling about Costco, scowling at people taking advantage of their liberal return policy (bringing back dust coated flatscreens to get a newer model). Aside from my gal or me, they're the best customer service I know of. Were we to move having a Costco near would rank right along with airport and decent hospital in making a location choice.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Hah!

I noticed a while back that every place I enjoyed living had a costco and trader joes within a 15-20 minute drive.

Checked through their store locations, and in fact, every place I hadnt liked living in lacked both.

So was I happier because I had the two stores to shop at, or do those stores tend to co-locate in happy towns to live in?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
If costco wasn't rude and incompetent (like walmart) and didn't charge me $50 for the privilege of paying 2-3% extra for most items even though I'm buying them by the gross, I'd probably shop there instead. But why pay extra for crappy customer service when I can get treated like crap much cheaper at walmart, right?
You can score a trifecta by complaining about expenses of Vanguard mutual funds, and the lousy CD rates from PenFed.

Put me in Costco camp, good prices, reasonable quality, surprisingly good customer service. The recent Costco connections magazine even had an article about the Costco board members defending the high pay and good benefit of Costco employees.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
You can score a trifecta by complaining about expenses of Vanguard mutual funds, and the lousy CD rates from PenFed.
I like vanguard. Best prices with good customer service in my experience.

Penfed - I have no relationship, therefore no comment.

Costco - I have visited once to check out prices and the "costco experience". I got hassled at the door for not having a membership. Membership itself is $50. I wanted to order a pizza to try it - sorry, can't do it without a membership. I snuck over to the pizza section and ordered one anyway. Very low quality. 25% more expensive than Sam's Club (their nearest competitor). All their merchandise was similar in nature in price and quantity as Sam's club. Long lines at checkout with two out of the dozen or so checkout aisles open. If I wanted a crappy membership club experience, I could go to Sam's and pay them $30 for the same experience. But to each their own. I'll just continue spending my $8000-9000 per year at superwalmart. Costco does have one redeeming feature - I wasn't ignored, insulted, or cussed at which happens occasionally at Sam's club.