Join Early Retirement Today

Bad metal plating?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bad metal plating?

I should probably resurrect the "everything from china sucks" thread, but this is an interesting observation.

It seems like a huge percentage of the plated goods i've bought in the past 12-18 months are all experiencing problems. The chrome hinges on the toilet seats I bought are turning green and peeling after less than a year. The chrome shower caddy I bought is rusting at several seams after 3 months. The gold tone shower drain cover is peeling at the edges. Today I noticed that the stainless steel soap dispenser I got for the kitchen is rusting around the nozzle.

None of this is walmart crap, its all home depot (okay, not much better), linens and things, etc. $12 for the drain cover, $40/ea for the seats, $40 for the caddy, $25 for the soap dispenser.

I guess it never occurred to me that there could be some money saving process involved with plating that would produce a significant cost savings with a truly inferior product.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Walmart = inexpensive cheap Chinese $hit
Home Depot = moderately expensive cheap Chinese $hit
Linens and Things/Bed, Bath, and Beyond = really expensive cheap Chinese $hit

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

So it seems.

I just cant recall any chrome/plated items coming apart like this so quickly, and a lot of them all at once, all recently bought.

In fact, i'm 99% sure I bought the same gold drain cover for the shower in my old mcmansion...maybe 11 years ago and when I sold the house seven years later it still looked like new.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We have a chrome plate toilet paper free standing holder. It is also starting to corrode. It should last indefinitely. Ha!

After we had our first microwave for years and years, we got a new one. Not because the old one broke, but it was just too huge and ugly and low powered. The new microwave is about 4 years old and the interior paint is starting to bubble so it is not long for the world. POS.

I am thinking that it is next to impossible to get stuff that are well made. Everything is disposable and most people don't care.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me this is the niche for a Merkin manufacturing comeback: solid, dependable, quality goods... for a stiff premia, of course!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All good comments.....getting to be a daily observation of mine how crappy this stuff is, but it seems like people don't notice or don't care. I would rather pay more for something that will last
Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
We have a chrome plate toilet paper free standing holder. It is also starting to corrode. It should last indefinitely. Ha!

After we had our first microwave for years and years, we got a new one. Not because the old one broke, but it was just too huge and ugly and low powered. The new microwave is about 4 years old and the interior paint is starting to bubble so it is not long for the world. POS.

I am thinking that it is next to impossible to get stuff that are well made. Everything is disposable and most people don't care.
Interesting about your microwave..... I bought one about 22 to 24 years ago from JC Penney and it is still going strong... my sister came over and put something in and nuked it... was surprised that it heated things up faster than her new one that was supposed to be high powered...

those single serve popcorn bags that are supposed to be 3 minutes are 2:33 max or you get burn.. I will keep it until it conks out...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I would rather pay more for something that will last
Me too...problem is, paying more doesn't guarantee anything anymore. You can pay more and still get crap that doesn't last.

I have a GE refrigerator in my garage, has been running for over 40 years and has never been serviced. Everyone I know who has bought one recently has had repair people in to fix them multiple times....from the cheap ones at home depot to the expensive ones at appliances stores.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #9

In Panama its even worse. Seems they send the junk that the US won't import here. After six months here I stopped saying "wow look how inexpensive this is." It has been replaced with "don't buy that because it will literaly fall apart before you get home".
We're building a house and starting looking at kitchen and bathroom faucets and other parts. Most of the stuff was chrome plated and made in China at about 1/3 of what Moen stuff costs. At least with Moen you get a 10 or 20 year guarantee. I asked if the Chinese stuff had a guarantee and they sales lady just smiled and shook her head "no". I won't even be looking at anything made in China if I can help it.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #10

Same thing here re: a microwave. DH and I bought our first one 31 years ago and finally gave it to my Dad only because we moved to a house that had a combo oven/microwave. He still uses it daily and it IS more powerful even now than any other I've used.

Hmmmm, if I remember correctly the manual did say not to stand within two or three feet of it!

Back to the OP, I've noticed that even high ticket items are much poorer in their construction. They might look the same on the outside, but lots more plastic, cheaper parts inside. I recently bought a pair of sandals to replace a pair that has served me very well for 14 years. Made by the same manufacturer and looked the same, but nowhere the same in the construction or the price!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #11

Is there something in the air at your new house speeding up the corrosion?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Just bought a new Delta faucet for the kitchen sink to replace the one I bought ten years ago. It was made in the USA, but comparing the two (to make sure everything was the right size), I could definitely tell the newer one was of a much shoddier construction. Now, here's the punchline--it has a lifetime guarantee. I turned to the wife and said, "Great--if it breaks I'll just take it out, package it up, send it back for a free replacement, and then wait 6-8 weeks for it to arrive while we're not using the sink for 2 months--NOT".
Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Is there something in the air at your new house speeding up the corrosion?
20% humidity at the highest in the summer, 30-40% in the winter. About 190 miles to the nearest ocean. And no problems with plate prior to just a few years back.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #14

I read "Big Box Swindle" earlier this year. Great book discussing how big boxes have changed the way America consumes. One example stood out: To satisfy Wal-Mart's desire (more like requirement) for lower prices, even name-brand tool manufacturers have to lower their production costs and make poorer quality products. From the outside, these "WalMart-specialties" look just like what you get from any other hardware store, except that they are 1/4 cheaper. Of course unknowing consumers choose WalMart over the local hardware store. Little did they know, the serial number is one digit different for the WalMart special ones, and the interior material is of much worse quality. WalMart uses this technique to force small businesses out of business. Unfortunately, it's been used with significant success.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:59 AM   #15

I have seen the kind of stuff GoodSense is referring to also in places like Home Depot. Cheaply-priced kits of stuff that's marked "Stanley" or "Black & Decker" but when you open it up.. there's something "off".. it doesn't seem the level of quality usually associated w/that brand. Seems like they are selling themselves down the river with that strategy, but I guess volume is everything and quality has gone by the wayside for good.

I also have problems with chrome stuff. Our toilet hinges here in Italy started going within just a couple months, although we bought a upper-medium-priced product. (These were replacements for the original toilet seats that came with the house that after 30+years still had perfect hinges..) The problem is, there are no guarantees anymore that you'll receive a well-made product no matter how much you pay. Well, let's not even say "guarantee"; let's say price & quality seem to have become disconnected to a greater extent than ever before.

I think with chrome plating there'd be issues with contaminants like surface oils that would impede a good bond.. also the thinness probably doesn't help. If you are not going to $pring for clean facilities and procedures you're guaranteed a crappy result.

Someone else posted a link to consumerist.com.. Browsing there I found the story of a lady who got chemical burns on her feet from W*M flip-flops. W*M said "take it up with the mfr." (right.). My DH got a similar chemical burn from gardeners' knee pads sold by either BB*Beyond or LNT, I forget which. Obviously something v. nasty in the foam. You could tell it wasn't an allergy thing because it only became noticeable the day after, and got MUCH worse. Washing, steriod and antihistamine-type creams did nothing. If I could boycott everything made in China, I would.. but it's nigh on impossible.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone remember when "Made in Japan" meant the product was a cheap imitation?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #17

In 1997 I bought a brand new Pontiac Sunfire, I absolutely loved it, great on gas, not too big, made a nice commuter car and still looked sporty. The thing was well made, felt solid under me. Fast forward to 2002, I loved the first Sunfire so much I decided to buy another, made a great deal with the dealer, actually paid less for that one than the first.... I sure found out why. From the day I took it home it just didn't feel the same, felt cheap and plasticy. After a week of driving it I needed to go back for an inspection sticker, the salesman came out and asked how I liked the car, my comment was " Have you sent my old car to the auction yet cuz I want it back, this car is horrible". I could not believe the difference, even dh who only drives it once a month when it needs an oil change said it wasn't the same. I kept the newer one but never really liked it and couldn't wait for the day I could trade it in on something better. So it's not just China making the crappola, it's everyone.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
Does anyone remember when "Made in Japan" meant the product was a cheap imitation?
Yup. And i have a 1/4" drive socket set made in Japan from about 25-20 years ago that is outstanding - they turned their quality around. Think the root problem is the same for almost everything: too many people. Too many new customers to fleece, er, market too. If CrappCo can make a toilet seat for $30 and it lasts 30 years that's one thing, but if they can sell one that lasts 3 years for $10 they sell a lot more of them and the corporate officers all look good - and the feller who fell in when his toilet sitter failed isn't dissuading many customers compared to the new population. We can claim a desire to buy quality, but at least i buy with an eye toward expected use and aggressively price shop. (Bunny buys nail guns?) As Farmer said, paying more is also no longer a guarantee of getting more.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've posted this before, but
Slashdot | The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart

Basically the brand name products you buy at walmart, even though they may be in the same box or have the same appearance as products sold elsewhere...are in fact cheapened versions. Seems that cheapening is spreading to other stores.

It was interesting watching a CNBC special "The age of walmart". The best part of it was where they followed a husband and wife team who wanted to sell a product to walmart...some kind of stick-on-the-wall thing to put bills and stuff into IIRC. They were so happy at the beginning. Then they started getting worn down a little at a time. By the end, they looked despondent. They'd had to make the product smaller and thinner and from crappier materials than the product they sold in other stores. After turning the screws on their long time manufacturing company too many times they'd had to go to a cheaper manufacturer.

I guess this is what happens when we buy based on price. Except the leakage into higher cost stuff that still sucks is very, very concerning.

What was interesting regarding the lawnmower maker...a few weeks after the article came out, consumer reports reviewed lawn mowers and the 'high end expensive, made to last' mowers from this company didnt fare that well. Middle of the pack.

Its one thing when you buy an overpriced, underperforming "destination product". At least you get the marketing, for what thats worth. What sucks is paying a good price for some utility item, expecting a reasonable life span and performance, and having it be a lousy product.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I've posted this before, but
Slashdot | The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart

Basically the brand name products you buy at walmart, even though they may be in the same box or have the same appearance as products sold elsewhere...are in fact cheapened versions. Seems that cheapening is spreading to other stores.

It was interesting watching a CNBC special "The age of walmart". The best part of it was where they followed a husband and wife team who wanted to sell a product to walmart...some kind of stick-on-the-wall thing to put bills and stuff into IIRC. They were so happy at the beginning. Then they started getting worn down a little at a time. By the end, they looked despondent. They'd had to make the product smaller and thinner and from crappier materials than the product they sold in other stores. After turning the screws on their long time manufacturing company too many times they'd had to go to a cheaper manufacturer.

I guess this is what happens when we buy based on price. Except the leakage into higher cost stuff that still sucks is very, very concerning.

What was interesting regarding the lawnmower maker...a few weeks after the article came out, consumer reports reviewed lawn mowers and the 'high end expensive, made to last' mowers from this company didnt fare that well. Middle of the pack.

Its one thing when you buy an overpriced, underperforming "destination product". At least you get the marketing, for what thats worth. What sucks is paying a good price for some utility item, expecting a reasonable life span and performance, and having it be a lousy product.
I think it's easier with some things:

My John Deere lawn mower is 12 years old. It has a cast aluminum deck so it doesn't rust. BOTH neighbors on each side of me have replaced their mowers twice in the last 10 years. They buy the low-end stuff, and they spend extra money fixing it. My lawn mower was $650 12 years ago, not cheap by any means, but the darn thing keeps going and going..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote