Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Bad year for electronics...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
While I recommend and use a Dell, I also use a G4 powerbook.

Here is an Apple commercial showing a 12 in and 17 in powerbook
http://www.advertisementave.com/tv/ad.asp?adid=494
I agree I use nothing but Mac myself, I'm on a 12" PB right now. Since I'm in my den "working" instead of the recliner I have it connected to a 17" LCD giving me two displays wide area to play. The 17" LCD is also hooked to an old Mac tower I use as server with a switch so it is playing a little Mannheim Steamroller off iTunes.

In my past life I recommended and bought a lot of Dells (for the un-enlighten) and the only negative is their terrible phone system if you have to call them. The web site and eMail service was good. Never had any problem with any of the Dells we bought other than an occasional disk drive failure.

Jeb

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
You can significantly reduce your costs. Depends on what you are willing to give up - 20 GB less hard drive, save $51. 512 RAM, save $140. 1.6Ghz CPU, save $140, 1 yr warranty, save $125, etc.
I checked out the SB site, as you're right...sometimes you can get a better deal from the biz site than the home site. Which I still think is weird, but Dells got their own thing going.

I could pare a few bucks off, but I've found with computers that shaving a few dollars off for a slightly lesser machine just shortens the time you're happy with it and a new machine bought early and copying your stuff well offsets the extra cost.

I remember an IT VP telling me "I'll pay an extra $300 for a better machine, because the user will be really thrilled with it at first and still happy with it 3 years from now...I save that money and its good enough now and worthless in 2-3 years". Made sense to me. Made so much sense I talked him into letting me quote him and put the quote on the first slide of the sales peoples marketing deck for sell-up...

My existing rig is a great example...looking back. Three years ago when I built it, a 2.0GHz chip was the 'sweet spot' where the price dropped, 256MB ram sticks were the ones you got the deals on, and 80GB hard drives were priced right. I bought the 2.4GHz chip, a 512MB stick, and a 120GB hard drive. Cost delta was about $250.

Three years, +.4GHz, +256MB, +40GB...seems like a good trade now. Not sure if my needs and the needs of my software will continue at the same pace from 2006-2009 as they did from 2002-2005, but we're not talking about a huge investment either...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)

If you want a big powerhouse machine and you know why you need one (re-read those last six words again please) then the 9300 or e1705 have a bigger screen, can be equipped with very powerful processors, and have very nice quality parts in them. The toshiba Qosmium is also a good contender. The sony and lenovo thinkpads are high end units where you'll be assured the best parts and you'll pay handsomely for the pleasure. I'd seriously consider these if someone else (the company) is buying.

Thanks.

Quote:
Anyone with some info to talk me out of it before I pull the trigger? Going once...
Wab must not be around.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought a cheap Toshiba Satellite A105-S101 from Best Buy on sale Sunday for $579.

I wanted it to take along on trips in the car and motorcycle to use in the motel.

Gonzo
Old 01-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Anyone with some info to talk me out of it before I pull the trigger?* Going once...
Don't do it.

You won't like the WXGA. * Not one of the better panels Dell sources.

You really can't judge a laptop from paper specs. * The 6000 isn't bad, but I'd rank it below their 9300/9400, XPS 140, and 700m in terms of build quality and other factors. * *If you insist on the 6000, at least get the WSXGA+ -- an all-around better panel (especially if you get the Samsung -- they use multiple vendors).
Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #26

Small biz at dell always seems to be a little cheaper than the home section (who knows why? I'm sure some marketing idiot/bean counter genius duo decided it'd sell 3.7% more computers). I guess I'm thinking "spend half as much on a computer, and replace it more often if it breaks or gets outdated". I can tell, based on your tv inventory, you don't think exactly like me re: technology

I'll just add that I have the predecessor to the 6000 at home. The 5100 has been great performance-wise and feature-wise. I got it around 2003 for $700-800 after rebate for a pretty basic system (as basic as the midlevel 5100's got). Performance is still good compared to todays systems. HD is too small now (musta shrunk?). Durable in general. The '7' key broke, and I had to swap out the keyboard under warranty. The last thing to go was the power cord started fraying at the plastic connector where you plug it in the computer. 2 pieces of metal and some machine screws fixed that.

It's heavy and runs hot. But does the job well as a general purpose computer. Games, internet, business software, MS Office stuff, music/DVD's/tv, etc.

I'd say get the 6000 at costco. good balance btw price and performance.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Don't do it.

You won't like the WXGA. Not one of the better panels Dell sources.

You really can't judge a laptop from paper specs. The 6000 isn't bad, but I'd rank it below their 9300/9400, XPS 140, and 700m in terms of build quality and other factors. If you insist on the 6000, at least get the WSXGA+ -- an all-around better panel (especially if you get the Samsung -- they use multiple vendors).
I appreciate your opinion, but I'm using laptops with crappy screens and they're just fine for my needs. I agree that the screens are better on the higher end models but I would have to configure one at the Dell site, and between the premium of buying directly from dell and the cost of the panel, i'm looking at $400-500+. Again, its all relative...compared to HPA screens and passive matrix models a while ago, these are pretty nice!

Same for the higher end models. I've used top end lappies. Still have my toshiba and ibm that the company bought for me and they're still nice. But I get used to what I get and dont miss the "goodness". And nobody for me to impress with it...

Not really worth it for me.

Also not going 100% from paper specs and web sites. I looked at the Dell models in the local office supply store. The 6000 felt and looked ok to me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #28

I have a 6000 in my, err, umm, inventory. Have I got a deal for you. PM me if you want a 2GHz WSXGA+ model for a song....

You can pick up a new (canceled order) 9300 in the outlet with go6800 and WUXGA for about $1000 without searching too long. Drops happen at :30 and :40 past the hour. Orders of magnitude better. Magnesium alloy case. Subwoofer. Nice display. You'll love it.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Anyone with some info to talk me out of it before I pull the trigger? Going once...
You should really try to upgrade the processor to an AMD brand...heck, even a Transmeta or Via would be better than that Intel trash.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Noogie, wedgie, and indian sunburn for you. The works. You get a discount on that. Only MOST of your lunch money...

You know, I thought transmeta would make a go of it. And I actually ran a via 1GHz processor in my shoebox server at the mcmansion. Passively cooled, almost completely quiet box.

Oh Wab, you're gonna try and tickle my cheap get-a-deal parts...its tempting except that I want the full factory warranty and I wouldnt know what you rubbed on the machine before you shipped it. Either that or the first time I made a factory service call I'd see a homeland security truck pulling into my driveway an hour later...

I was planning on looking in the outlet for a while. Makes me feel like that last minute on an ebay auction or when the guy at the roulette table says "all bets down please?".
Old 01-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #31

The outlet is usually the way to go. The scripters scoop up all of the great deals as soon as they drop, but they leave behind some pretty good deals for the unwashed masses.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Well thats annoying. A lot of the outlet systems come with just CD/RW's...in fact all the 9300's they had were cd only. Almost nothing with a gig of ram or a faster cpu. Not many over 60/80gb disks.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...interesting quirks in the search...I fill in some specs in the form and hit submit and get a list of stuff. Then I change all of the specs to "all" and hit submit and there are systems that fit the criteria of my first search that are or arent there anymore. Go back to the first search and there they are again.

So some specific searches give you systems that 'all' doesnt, and 'all' gives you systems that meet specific criteria that dont show up when you specify that criteria.

I looked at the scripting. Sort of interesting. Bunch of people have 3-5 machines running these scripts full time and then turn the machines they get over on ebay. Some are making 3-5k a month just slapping a new address label on the boxes dell sends them and shipping them back out again.

Amazing.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Some are making 3-5k a month just slapping a new address label on the boxes dell sends them and shipping them back out again.

Amazing.
Hey, don't get tempted. The last thing I need is more competition.

OK, I'll let you in on my little secret. I upgrade my computers every six months or so, but I buy a couple of spares from the outlet when I upgrade. Just enough spares so that when I sell them, the computers I keep cost me nothing.... The only flaw in my little plan is that I like buying more than I like selling, so I keep more computers than I really need. I'm trying to thin the heard, though. Really I am....
Old 01-26-2006, 03:30 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

You'd think Dell would smarten up and realize that the ebay buyers are willing to pay a premium and the ebay sellers are skimming off the profit.

Why not just let a customer go through the configuration process and at the end say "There are xx computers available just like this one that are order cancellations and yy that are refurbished...would you like to look at them?". You might scavenge a little bit of new business but you'd pick up that margin the ebay sellers are making.

Capitalism is an amazing little thing...
Old 01-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #36

Dell wants them off their books, and they don't want to canabilize regular end-user sales. They are definitely leaving money on the table, though. I visit the outlet more often than I should. I buy more computers than I should. It's hard to leave $100 bills sitting on the floor. And $1000 bills are even tougher. I have to keep reminding myself how much I hate selling stuff.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Ok so much for my resolve and discipline, the cheap won out.

I proved you dont have to have scripts, 5 computers and a gigabit direct connect to austin texas to do ok with the 'dell outlet'.

It wasnt a particularly enjoyable experience, as systems appear and disappear every time you hit 'refresh', you have to jump on anything good or its gone almost immediately, and you then have 15 minutes to decide if you want to keep it before it goes poof.

I got exactly the same machine Costco was offering for $1299 for $939. Only difference is I have 21 days to tell Dell I dont want it and mail it back to them at my cost and i'm out the original shipping vs taking it into the local Costco store for a full refund, shipping included, and I got a 2 year warranty instead of three.

Basically just traded ~2 hours of my time for $360. Not too shabby. Think I'll go shopping and blow my 'winnings'.

I'll file a full report of the dell outlet experience as it happens, and my life with the inspiron 6000. I read a bazillion epinions (and others) reviews and it was hard to find someone that wasnt happy with it. I did find a few people who tried an XPS or a 9300 and said they were just too bulky and heavy. One epinions guy said he felt the 9300 felt 'flimsy' where the 6000 felt more 'solid'. Couldnt find too many negative 9300 or XPS reviews either.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #38

Good choice!

If I were looking for a more mobile machine I would have gone with the 6000 too. My needs were better suited to the 9300 and I don't regret it; it works fine for what I use it for. Good luck with the 6000 and buy you something nice with the outlet difference in price.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #39

Quote:
One epinions guy said he felt the 9300 felt 'flimsy' where the 6000 felt more 'solid'.
Who you gonna believe?* *Random epinions guy, or wab the compulsive computer consumer?* 9300 has a rigid and light magnesium allow lid and base.* *Sweeeet lappy, d00d.

BTW, I just remembered that Dell sent me some coupons via email today.

$400 off $1499 Dell Home Inspirons: 41BF5123$5MKLQ
Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, I also used the fatwallet.com link to dell home to get 3% 'fatcash' back, and I'm getting 1% for the citibank mastercard. So another 37.56 in my pocket.

For those who dont use fatcash, you set up an account with fatwallets fatcash thing (its a link off the main site page). When you buy from a store they work with...and they work with a heck of a lot...the store kicks them back a percentage and they kick you back a percentage of that. Most stores are in the 3-5% range, some go a lot higher and some only offer a percent or two. It takes anywhere from weeks to months to get the money into your 'account', from which you can request a check.

If you like those 'dividend/cash back' credit cards, its pretty much the same thing. I use it every time I buy a big ticket item. Sears, Blue Nile and places like that work through them, as does Dell.