Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Bad year for electronics...
Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Who you gonna believe? Random epinions guy, or wab the compulsive computer consumer?
In the interests of cute and fuzzy bunniness, the cute and fuzzy bunny would rather not say

Actually I use epinions a lot. I make about $80 a year from the reviews I've submitted. I dont really consider outliers as I know everyone has good and bad product and service days, but I take a stack of mostly good or mostly bad very seriously.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

And I "made" about 12k in the market today, so I guess I can go buy 11 more of these puppies...

If I keep saving money on stuff I buy like this, my wife can afford to fully retire too! :P

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
And I "made" about 12k in the market today, so I guess I can go buy 11 more of these puppies...
That's a fine way to think about it, as long as you sell your possessions on down days.

Damn, I just looked at the market. My Sony stock was up 12% today (I heart Japan!). I take back everything bad I said about the Vaio.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Hey wab...did you ever buy an outlet machine and have it ship within a couple of business days?

I have a curious suspicion...
Old 01-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Hey wab...did you ever buy an outlet machine and have it ship within a couple of business days?
That's the beauty of the outlet (well, and the price). All of those machines are in stock and usually ship the next day.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, mine did this afternoon. They had originally quoted me a ship date middle of next week and I started thinking...

heyyyy...I wonder if these really ARE cancelled orders, or if they've just implemented a system to fill their manufacturing capacity and empty out overloads of parts...

Looks like I'll have it by wednesday. My wife will be getting HER toy before I get mine, however.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #47

Quote:
I wonder if these really ARE cancelled orders
Dell recently added attributes to their outlet listings.* *"Previously ordered new" are canceled/refused orders.* *"Certified refurbished" are machines they got back, typically during the 21-day return period, but there are some older ones in there too.* "Scratch and dent" is supposed to mean cosmetic damage, but I've ordered a couple of those and couldn't find the scratch or dent (one had a miniscule dent in the case that you could see if the light hit it just right).

Of the "certified refurbished" machines* I've received, 90%+ were indistinguishable from new.* *One had minor scratches on the case paint.* *And one smelled like aftershave.* *:P

The only ones I avoid are the out-of-date models, since you can be pretty sure those really are refurbished machines that got returned due to some sort of problem.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

So Dad calls me up today and asks me to recommend a laptop. Like Sheryl said in a earlier post, I think I've been too dependant on this forum 'cause I immediately thought about you guys!

While he also mentioned the four most sweetest words in the English language ("Money is no object"), in reality I think he says his company will pay for somewhere around $1500. His company is also buying one additional laptop for another employee and they insist that they be Dell machines.

So I was thinking about suggesting either the 9300/9400 based on Wab/(CFB)'s posts. I did see something called the e1705 on their web site, but now can't find it anywhere. Now, Dad's not the most tech savvy guy, he's probably only going to use it for browsing and some accounting software. He might use it for movies as well.

So what do you guys think? Also, where's a good place for the discount codes? I found some Inspiron codes on fatwallet and some other sites, but was wondering if there's one site that people recommend. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #49

The E1705 (also called the 9400) replaces the 9300.* *It just started shipping a week or so ago, but so far the few reports I've heard are all good.

E1705
Old 02-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

So far so good. I've been largely overcommunicated with, receiving an order placement confirmation, an order acceptance confirmation, and an order shipment confirmation.

However, I never got anything with a shipper tracking number on it nor could I find that info on any of the order or shipping status pages on dell.com

It was recommended in the shipping email that I enter a livechat with a support representative to find any further info I needed, so I did so.

After filling in my info, order # and my question, I was immediately connected to Kunaldeep Boparai, who quickly coughed up my UPS tracking number.

I subsequently received an email that contained a log of the entire livechat session, which is handy as I didnt feel like writing down the tracking number.

Lappies coming tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #51

Quote:
However, I never got anything with a shipper tracking number on it nor could I find that info on any of the order or shipping status pages on dell.com
One of the quirks of the outlet -- they never send you the tracking number.

However, go to your account online. Look at your order history (not order status). You should be able to view your invoice (doesn't work all the time, for some odd reason). At the top of the invoice, you'll find the waybill number. Prepend a "1Z" to it, and that's your UPS tracking number.

At the bottom of the invoice, you'll find your service tag. Enter it under "my systems" and you'll find details of your system, including individual component brands and when your system shipped to the original buyer.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Yep that works. Pretty cool stuff.

Got a lot of fun stuff for a penny each.

Didnt see anything about an original shipment...this was a cancelled order so I dont think it went anywhere.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Now that i've had the machine for a good 12 hours...first blush opinions.

Its big. About what you'd expect for a system with a 15.4" screen. After using the 13" stinkpad for a week the physical size is immediately apparent, although for me thats a good thing. The keyboard is back and up on the base, leaving plenty of room even for my ham hands to rest palms on for typing. Its back to the touchpad from the trackpoint I had just regotten used to on the thinkpad. And back to a 'standard' pc key layout from the ibm keyboard layout. Pretty much have it now.

The case is pretty solid. I could torque it if I tried but I can pick it up from one corner and its not floppy or wiggly. As with many laptops I've bought, it is deciding to hold one "leg" up in the air and isnt perfectly flat. In my experience, they settle down flat after a day or two. Even the thinkpad had a 'lame leg' for a couple of days. The case is attractive, all silver with a white trim piece that seems to be adding rigidity. Pushbuttons on the front to control play/pause/volume control such that I could use it as a dvd or mpeg4 player with the screen shut. Built in speakers located up near the top and to the sides of the keyboard, rather than the idiotic IBM approach of putting them right where the palms of your hands rest.

Screen looks just fine, its bright and the detail is pleasing. I have a 2 year old dell top of the line 17" lcd screen and side by side I dont see much difference in quality.

Keyboard is better than my old HP, on par with my toshiba, not as good as my ibm.

Included s/w is decent and not overbearing. My HP came with so much crap on it I just did a fresh install of XP over the top of it and called it even. Full copy of Word, full copy of Works, virus scan, some music jukebox and photo manager software.

Machine booted right up, found my wireless hub no problem, and after a half dozen update/reboots to get the latest s/w and fixes, Office installed with no problems.

Later I'll transfer all our files and settings; I already used XP's 'file and settings transfer wizard' to copy our stuff from the old desktop to the external firewire hard drive, which should make that easy enough.

A day or two of tweaking settings and whatnot, and we're in business. We like it. Cant beat the price.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #54

Yeah, the 6000's a nice 'puter. Hopefully, you'll resist the itch to check out the outlet periodically and sample every machine Dell makes. Like I did.

BTW, try hitting that play button while the computer is off. They have a feature called Media Direct that will let you play a CD/DVD that way, but I'm curious to see if the newer version still boots up Windows or if they included a player in ROM.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Question for you...

The system I bought said it contained the ATI graphics chip, but what I got has the Intel 915GM/910GML integrated.

I havent kept up much on the relative goodness of the integrated intel stuff, in your opinion am I better off with what I got or what I ordered?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #56

First, complain to Dell. Even if you're happy with the machine, they'll make you happier after that kind of screw-up.

And it depends on whether you want to play 3D games (I know you do). The ATI is probably twice as fast for 3D stuff. And it's a different mobo, so with the ATI you have the option of swapping out the graphics card for something better down the road (maybe), and you don't have that option with the integrated video.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Thats what I figured. Original order definitely says "dedicated ati graphics processor" although in looking at the options in building one from scratch, there are two...radeon x300 and x300 pci express. $75 and $150 options.

I'm gonna give them a call...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a ~35% perf advantage for the ati part; the newer integrated stuff is doing a bit better than the old stuff. And allegedly better battery life for the ati part as well.

My "whine" form has been submitted...
Old 02-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Well the whine form that will be responded to in 6-12 hours wasnt responded to.

After pressing 4/2/1/4/2/3/2/1/2/4/5/6/7/1/2/3/45/5/3/2/23/123/32/12/43/423/234 I was informed that customer care only works on weekdays.

After trying the 'get a human', I got a human who verified every possible thing about me (name, address, phone, ord#, cust #) and so forth, looked at a lot of stuff, and then informed me that they could do nothing, I needed to talk to customer care, who wont be in until monday.

So far I've gotten the wrong machine, less than I ordered, its slightly defective, and a huge megabillion dollar company cant put people on the phones to handle problems for home and home office users on the days they have off.

One thumb down, second thumb slowly turning downwards...
Old 02-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #60

Dell customer service sux0rs. Except when compared to any other computer company....