Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Bahamas... 395 thousand people and....
Old 09-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Bahamas... 395 thousand people and....

The high point is 206 above sea level. 80% of the islands have an elevation of less than three feet above sea level... (coral ridges, lagoons)

Storm surge estimates 15 to 30 feet...

Did you know? Better still... did any of the TV news programs know?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The highest point in Florida is 312 feet above sea level.

Florida has a population of 21 million plus.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cat 5 now with 185 sustained and 220 gusts. That's like an F-5 tornado that parks on top of your ass for a day or two. May God have mercy on those who couldn't leave. The rest? ISTBY.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Video.... Lucky to have his his house.... neighbors have none. See the wrecked boats.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...ation-n1048756
Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Video.... Lucky to have his his house.... neighbors have none. See the wrecked boats.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...ation-n1048756
Where's the video? Just a picture of a beach.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Did you know?
No.
Quote:
Better still... did any of the TV news programs know?
Yes.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Where's the video? Just a picture of a beach.
Video is further below the photo.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Video is further below the photo.
Found it, thanks!
Old 09-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
The highest point in Florida is 312 feet above sea level.

Florida has a population of 21 million plus.

and Florida has roads that lead to places that won't have a hurricane, with tons of advanced warning.

The Bahamas have roads that go around the island.

And the Bahamas took a direct hit, from a stalled hurricane. Florida is forecast to get a glancing blow - bad, but not as bad as a direct hit.

The Bahamans might be worthy of a tiny bit of sympathy and help...
DenverGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #10

This is a big one. It's the season. I hope everyone heeds advice. Good luck
Old 09-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #11

Part of that footage taken from a 2nd story screened in porch, creaking. Wonder how long that house will last. Where does one go? What sort of rescue is available? The cell phones still work. Unbelievable.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGuy42 View Post
and Florida has roads that lead to places that won't have a hurricane, with tons of advanced warning.

And the Bahamas took a direct hit, from a stalled hurricane. Florida is forecast to get a glancing blow - bad, but not as bad as a direct hit.

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing. I would much rather be in Florida than the Bahamas right now. Fortunately, I am in neither.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Cat 5 now with 185 sustained and 220 gusts. That's like an F-5 tornado that parks on top of your ass for a day or two. May God have mercy on those who couldn't leave. The rest? ISTBY.
+1
Old 09-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Rant....

The degree of total ignorance on the part of the news media is appalling. The overhead colored map video is about all that is being shown. the amount of devastation on the Bahamas is almost totally ignored visually. A few camera videos... no on the scene persons for any of the major news or weather channels. For he most, a picture taken a day or two ago of one of the reporters blowing in a 10 mile/hr wind, and wearing a wet shirt., but virtually nothing current. Checking on line pictures some many destroyed homes, downed power lined, water on streets up to 6 feet high, and almost up to second floors of homes.

More ignorance... Talking about beaches... with storm surges from 5 to 23 feet, the on rushing waves will take away all of the white sand. think Daytona Beach.... Haven't heard word one about this. When the white sand is gone, the packed sand that's left is like a sidewalk. No way to replace the white soft sand.... You can'r just plow up the wet dark color packed sand. It has to be brought in . think of replacing, to a one or two foot depth, several hundred miles of white sand.

We remember Andrew and how long it took the eastern beaches to recover.

And so it goes... the TV announcer showing the map, talking about the speed of the wind, and the forward speed. Much, much too much of too little.

Inquiring minds want to know...

YMMV
Old 09-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGuy42 View Post

My post was not intended as comparing or contrasting the OP; it was in addition to the OP. Note the lack of quoting the OP and the absence of comparative or contrasting adverbs.

People in hurricanes, especially those with limited resources to protect themselves and their loved ones, have my sympathy and my help.

TBH, I didn't really understand where the OP was going with his OP. I knew about the Bahamas before Dorian, and assumed that TV news crews were similarly knowledgeable.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

So what are you complaining/insulting us about.?? You don't seem to know squat yourself-just regurgitating some facts from a "influencer"
Where is the relief for the Bahamas coming from. Ships with supplies, hospital ship needed? Normally people put aside their differences and just reach out with help.
Nobody admits to liking the Red Cross or International Aid charities but we all expect them to show up in a crisis.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The Bahamas are being reported right now on the Weather Channel. Here also is a current article from the BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49554537 (the Bahamas being a commonwealth realm of the UK, I believe, maybe the OP would find better reporting about the Bahamas in his opinion on British media?). At any rate, I think there is a lot of reporting on the Bahamas and don't really understand the issue. It's hard to get on-the-ground reporting at ground zero during a category 5 hurricane. Bless them all.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #18

Here is an interesting video of the inside of someones home in the Bahamas. Scroll to the headline "Inside a flooded home in Grand Bahama".

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hur...019/index.html

At least it's 'only' a CAT 4 now.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

According to headlines, only 13,000 homes damaged and destroyed in the Bahamas.

Here's a current link to more videos. May be changed...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hur...019/index.html

And a quote:

Quote:
"The Bahamas minister for agriculture shared a video showing flood waters creeping into his home in Grand Bahama. You can hear Michael Pintard explaining the situation in the video: “That’s water hitting my front window which is extremely high. Of course I’m already completely flooded out. That’s my kitchen window that water is hitting and that has to be a minimum of about 20 feet above the ground. This is water by my back door that came from the canal that height has to be 20 to 25 feet above sea level. This is what I’m facing at the moment. I have neighbors who are in a far worse position than me and my family. That’s my bedroom water hitting there," Pintard says."]The Bahamas minister for agriculture shared a video showing flood waters creeping into his home in Grand Bahama. You can hear Michael Pintard explaining the situation in the video: “That’s water hitting my front window which is extremely high. Of course I’m already completely flooded out. That’s my kitchen window that water is hitting and that has to be a minimum of about 20 feet above the ground. This is water by my back door that came from the canal that height has to be 20 to 25 feet above sea level. This is what I’m facing at the moment. I have neighbors who are in a far worse position than me and my family. That’s my bedroom water hitting there," Pintard says.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Not much interest in this subject, so let it go...
....but... something to think about...

Quote:
The administration has proposed cutting NOAA's budget to about $4.5 billion for fiscal year (FY) 2020, a drop of about 18%, nearly $1 billion, compared with the agency's FY 2019 enacted budget.