Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I hope her life since her rescue has been happy and fulfilling.
Seems like.

Jessica McClure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And in the "no good deed goes unpunished" category, note what ultimately became of the prominent rescuers.

Remind me not to rescue a toddler that falls into a hole...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Send the parents the check for the rescue effort.

Glad he is ok
You mean a bill, don't you
Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Balloon Boy dad made a charming video on YouTube of the little darlings making booger soup and serving it to mom. Still glad the little tyke is safe, but this family has to be angling for a reality show, perhaps following Octomom....
Old 10-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

As someone else said..... the balloon just did not look like it was carrying any kind of weight.....

ALSO, the brother 'said' he saw him getting into the balloon... but then they say it was tethered and the parents let it go up... how in the heck can the parents even allow the balloon to get in the air with a child inside!!! even tethered

So, from the beginning... this smacks of a 'show'.... and I think they should be prosecuted for lying to the police... pay a fine and pay for the FULL cost of rescue (OH, the full cost also should include the extra gas the airlines had to pay for diverting from Denver airport... that should be a pretty penny)... heck, I would like to see the dad in jail for 30 or so days...

The unfortunate thing is that this might have cost someone their life... not talking about the boy... but there were a lot of resources used on this... and who knows if those resources if used some other way could have prevented someone from dying somewhere else... there is no way that someone can show a link... but who knows for sure...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes
Old 10-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #47

Quote:
In a restaurant, the terms "bill" and "check" are interchangeable...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Of course, this story is on Fox CNN so you have to be a little leery.

But I'm intrigued by all the Monday morning quarterbacks who, after the fact, are so convinced that this balloon could not carry a young child. Apparently, the police, military, and other rescue personnel were not so convinced during the big event (perhaps it's their fault for not checking out internet discussion forums to get the real scoop before launching such an expensive rescue effort). More so, there were multiple interviews with actual balloon experts during the chase. I didn't hear a single one of these experts suggest that "this is a hoax - it's obvious that this balloon cannot carry a young child."

Police investigators are trained to identify truth from deception. They deal with this all the time. "No officer, I don't know how the 20 kilo's of cocaine got in the trunk of my car." OK, that's an easy one, but in more ambiguous situations the police assess communication, emotions, body language, and other factors. They don't always get it right, but as it stands now, the people who have extensively interviewed the family and watched their reactions during the event do not believe it was a hoax.

Quote:
... heck, I would like to see the dad in jail for 30 or so days...
Well, if it turns out to be a hoax, I would like to see the dad *and* the mom in jail for 30 days or so. Mom shouldn't get a free pass just because she's a woman. She was involved too.

However, if it was a hoax, it was a poor one. Personally, if I was trying to fool the news media and others, I wouldn't allow my 6 year old co-conspirator son to be interviewed on TV. I'd leave the lying to the adults.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to agree with an earlier poster, the Dad's body language says he is untruthful. In all the things the police are trained to look for in a liar, he did them all. I bet it all ends up that this whole thing was a stunt. The father took to much time to explain away why his darling son would say that they did it "for a show". There was way to much fluff and detail in his answer. There was to much sobbing and no tears or even damp eyes showing, Plus the kicker for me is the kid now has the flu. That is very convenient. The police can not talk to him much if the poor little thing is sick. That gives them more time to prep the kid in his responses. The truth will come out eventually.

Children up to the age of 6 or so are not generally good fibbers and usually will spill the beans pretty fast when interviewed.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I didn't hear a single one of these experts suggest that "this is a hoax - it's obvious that this balloon cannot carry a young child."
The station I watched had an on-air "expert" (an Investigator of some kind) who mentioned that very thing a couple of times. He also had questions about the photograph of the object "dropped" from the balloon. On the other hand, I suspect that someone in that position has to exercise (tremendous) caution in talking to the press.

I don't have time but you could check the station's website (see link above) to see if they have posted the video.

And I might mention, again, the reporter at the Sheriff's news conference who asked if it was a "Reality TV" episode.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I just did a quick back of the envelope calculation on what it would take to build a helium filled balloon to life a six year old.

I assumed a payload of 40 lbs, 10 pounds of structural material for the balloon and carriage. 50 lbs total or 23 kg. At a height of 3000 ft, density of air is roughly 1.1 kg/m^3, helium is around 0.18 kg/m^3 (at standard temp and pressure, not sure at 3000 ft, but altitude difference for helium density is negligible vs. that of air).

Looking at the buoyancy of the craft filled with helium and surrounded by air, it looks like it would take a sphere of 12' diameter filled with helium to lift the 50 lbs of payload and structure. That thing looked pretty big, so it may have been "light" enough to actually have lifted what would have been Falcon.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Of course, this story is on Fox CNN so you have to be a little leery.

But I'm intrigued by all the Monday morning quarterbacks who, after the fact, are so convinced that this balloon could not carry a young child. Apparently, the police, military, and other rescue personnel were not so convinced during the big event (perhaps it's their fault for not checking out internet discussion forums to get the real scoop before launching such an expensive rescue effort). More so, there were multiple interviews with actual balloon experts during the chase. I didn't hear a single one of these experts suggest that "this is a hoax - it's obvious that this balloon cannot carry a young child."

Police investigators are trained to identify truth from deception. They deal with this all the time. "No officer, I don't know how the 20 kilo's of cocaine got in the trunk of my car." OK, that's an easy one, but in more ambiguous situations the police assess communication, emotions, body language, and other factors. They don't always get it right, but as it stands now, the people who have extensively interviewed the family and watched their reactions during the event do not believe it was a hoax.

Well, if it turns out to be a hoax, I would like to see the dad *and* the mom in jail for 30 days or so. Mom shouldn't get a free pass just because she's a woman. She was involved too.

However, if it was a hoax, it was a poor one. Personally, if I was trying to fool the news media and others, I wouldn't allow my 6 year old co-conspirator son to be interviewed on TV. I'd leave the lying to the adults.

I am one who was skepitcal when I first saw the video... not that it could not lift someone off the ground... but that the payload area did not look like it had much weight to it... the balloon was pretty flat.. if a boy was inside, I would assume that it would hang down more.... they did say it was a 'weather balloon'.... so I would think it would be enough to lift 50 lbs...

I agree... put them all in jail...

OK... I now see the 'check' reference...
Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I think they should be arrested for bad acting -- especially the mom.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I am in a holding pattern waiting for the 10:00AM Sheriff's Press Conference -- its incredible that the highest crime commited would be "False Reporting" -- a low-grade misdemeanor.

Anyway, this just popped up on my News Monitoring:

I Helped Richard Heene Plan A Balloon Hoax
Quote:
Can we attract UFO's with a homemade flying saucer? We will modify a weather balloon, so that it resembles a UFO and will electrically charge the skin of the craft (Biefield-Brown Effect). We will capture the footage on film, and will utilize the media as a means with which to make our presence known to the masses. This will not only provide us with incredible footage, but will also generate a tremendous amount of controversy among the public, as well as publicity within the mainstream media. This will be the most significant UFO-related news event to take place since the Roswell Crash of 1947, and the result will be a dramatic increase in local and national awareness about The Heene Family, our Reality Series, as well as the UFO Phenomenon in general.
I clearly remember Richard telling me that, if we accomplish this, it would be the most controversial and widespread UFO news story since Roswell in 1947. (See audio at top of post.)
Old 10-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Well, it seems like they are going to go after him with charges.... but the charges seem to be minor.... so I guess the price they will pay will be small compared to the whole hoopla....

And I bet there will be SOMEONE who will try to put him on a cable show or something... but it will fade quickly (at least I hope)...

I still would like to see him get the whole bill... which I am sure if you added up everything it would be over $100,000....
Old 10-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Just watched the press conference with the Sheriff in CO. Will file 2 felony and a misdemeanor against them. The lawman thinks it was all a big hoax now that was being used to develop a TV script that was dreamed up a couple of weeks ago (checked out Mr. Heene's computer). It's up to the DA now.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Just watched the press conference with the Sheriff in CO. Will file 2 felony and a misdemeanor against them. The lawman thinks it was all a big hoax now that was being used to develop a TV script that was dreamed up a couple of weeks ago (checked out Mr. Heene's computer). It's up to the DA now.
Well good for him:

Sheriff Calls Balloon Chase a Hoax

Quote:
Richard Heene and his wife Mayumi have not yet been arrested, but the sheriff said that among the charges being considered are three felonies: conspiracy between the husband and the wife to commit a crime, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and an attempt to influence a public servant., the last of which carries a prison term of six years. The charges could also include a misdemeanor, filing a false report.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

An old expression about "feeding them a little rope so they hang themselves" comes to mind. So glad LE is following up.
Parents are pure goofballs. Kids are too young IMHO to have made an independent decision to make up a story about the youngest being inside the compartment when it went aloft.
Parents will be darn lucky if federal charges aren't filed, since the FAA was involved (what I meant earlier about national radar resources being used).
One news report I read online indicated the father called a TV station, not 911.
I asked my housecleaner what she would have done if one of her 2 young boys were really in danger like this. She did not hesitate with her answer...she would call 911.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Kids are too young IMHO to have made an independent decision to make up a story about the youngest being inside the compartment when it went aloft.
Here is a well done article with Bullet Points:

Sheriff: Balloon Boy incident 'was a hoax,' parents are actors

Quote:
Although the authorities believe the children were fully involved with the hoax, Alderden doubts the kids will face criminal charges considering their ages: 6, 8 and 10.
Quote:
There are still plans to meet with the FBI and FAA to see if additional federal charges are appropriate in this circumstance.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

One of the most damaging things here is that the parents have really corrupted their children. That is a big no-no in my world.

Ha