Join Early Retirement Today

Balloon child
Old 10-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Balloon child

Anyone else watching that story on the child up in the balloon. My heart goes out to that family. Terrible.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It came down and he isn't inside. Either fell out or who knows what? How awful for the family.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #3

I hope he is hiding or something.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I hope they find him hiding under his bed, too.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Little boys can be so mischievous. I really hope he is hiding in his closet or something. It's awful to think he could have fallen 12,000 feet to his death.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

some in our fine state have become so cynical from the multitude of high profile hoaxes re: disappearances in our state. we had the awol soldier who faked getting hurt and went missing in the wilderness, the guy who reported his 6 year old daughter ran away/amber alert when she had already been gone/dead for 2 years. Sad to say, it just makes you wonder if the whole balloon going up thing is to cover up for something else...?
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
some in our fine state have become so cynical from the multitude of high profile hoaxes re: disappearances in our state. we had the awol soldier who faked getting hurt and went missing in the wilderness, the guy who reported his 6 year old daughter ran away/amber alert when she had already been gone/dead for 2 years. Sad to say, it just makes you wonder if the whole balloon going up thing is to cover up for something else...?
It could be.

When I was a kid, my brothers and I were the kids from h*ll and we used to run wild and play some serious pranks like this. For example, my brother got a ticket for speeding when driving by himself at age 7 about 12 miles from our home, one night when my parents went out to dinner and the babysitter thought we were in bed. So, thinking of the mischief kids can get into, I keep thinking that maybe his big brother tied him up, gagged him, and put him in a drawer or in the attic above the garage.

Probably wishful thinking, as I hate to think of a little six year old falling to his death. His parents must be frantic.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
I, too, hope you are correct. There is this news story which identifies the family as "devote[ing] their time to scientific experiments that include looking for extraterrestrials and building a research-gathering flying saucer to send into the eye of the storm." They, also, participated on the TV show "Wife Swap." (Of course, this story is on Fox so you have to be a little leery.)

Balloon Believed to Be Carrying Boy Lands, Boy Not Inside - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I hate to admit it but I saw that episode of WifeSwap (an occasional guilty pleasure--so sue me). The mom was a nutjob and ironically the family she visited was superparanoid about their children being in danger.

I hope the little boy wandered away after the older child apparently saw him get into the balloon, since the reports are that the home has been thoroughly searched and no sign of the boy found.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

OMG. I do hope that little boy is alive and well, but I can see that whatever his fate is, there is going to be a reality show starring this family, mark my words.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently there was a box on the bottom of the balloon, that wasn't there when they recovered it. They are showing a photo of something apparently dropping from the balloon shortly after it was released. So, there is still a possibility that this will turn out to be a tragedy.

I am just hoping that he is hiding or something and was never inside the balloon.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The reports are now (press Conference with sheriff) that the boy was found at home... alive.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The reports are now (press Conference with sheriff) that the boy was found at home... alive.
Thank goodness!!! I hadn't heard this but I am so glad to know.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
So, thinking of the mischief kids can get into, I keep thinking that maybe his big brother tied him up, gagged him, and put him in a drawer or in the attic above the garage.
Aha! They just said he was in the attic above the garage, inside a box.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

So to follow up on what Igsoy and I said earlier, it is telling that one of the reporters at the press confernece said:

'So this is not another "Reality TV" episode?"

The sheriff wisely answered that someone else would have to determine that.

These people are quite adept at media manipulation. (As Igsoy suggests, maybe it is our state.) So we will see where this goes.

Ain't life fun?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #17

Send the parents the check for the rescue effort.

Glad he is ok
Old 10-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Aha! They just said he was in the attic above the garage, inside a box.
A happy ending, sort of -- which could be made happier by sending his parents the bill for the search and rescue efforts resulting from a prank. A little of that "Wife Swap" money should do the trick...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
A happy ending, sort of -- which could be made happier by sending his parents the bill for the search and rescue efforts resulting from a prank. A little of that "Wife Swap" money should do the trick...
I think they should pay for it, and even more important I think the kid should bear some consequences. Obviously he can't pay for all of it, but his parents should figure out a way that he can earn a few pennies here or there (when he'd rather be playing) to help pay for it.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I wasted all afternoon watching that saga on TV. Glad it all turned out OK for little Falcon.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote