Join Early Retirement Today

Bank screwed us!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bank screwed us!

Just venting...found out thursday night by logging in to get missing tax document for a rental property(with good equity) that it is currently in foreclosure! Apparently the bank increased escrow about $50/month in October and never told us! They sent statements to the wrong address(they have our primary home mortgage too) and only called old work numbers...not my main cell that they have which I've had for over a decade. Anyway...calls and calls later it sounds like we will need to pay attorneys costs, late fees, etc and then dispute later. So frustrating...our perfect credit has been destroyed and we still dont know if the bank will fix it all. Been lied to about everything...so shady.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never been involved in anything like this, so unfortunately I can't give you any advice.
All I can say is that if everything you said is true, you have every right to vent.

Hope it works out

Old 02-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did not think they could foreclose on escrow.... and only since Oct...

Heck, I am surprised they would foreclose that quickly....

ALSO, you were making payments (I assume), so they should not be able to foreclose anyhow..... IIRC, you actually have to stop paying all together... as long as they accept some money, you are not behind....

Check it out... maybe go to an attorney and see what your options are...
Old 02-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Agreed... sounds fishy.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes we paid...they cashed...then they said they tried to mail checks back to us...but they supposedly went to wrong address.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #6

When I bought a house after my divorce the bank would routinely be late with insurance and property tax payments and I'd get nastygrams from the County and the insurance company. When I refinanced later for a lower rate (at a different bank!) I did not escrow those payments and just paid them myself to make sure they were paid on time. So there is a way to prevent this from happening.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Might be a good chance to refinance the property with another bank if possible.

Might also be a good idea to pay property taxes directly if possible and avoid escrow.

-gauss
Old 02-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

No escrow for many many years. I've been pleasantly surprised how easily several mortgage companies have agreed to this. You sound like you need to get away from those folks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Yes we paid...they cashed...then they said they tried to mail checks back to us...but they supposedly went to wrong address.

Did they cash the checks or send them back? If they mailed refund checks back to you they know you never deposited them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
This doesn't make sense my checks all have my current address on them. I feel like we are getting only part of the story here.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I haven't had an escrow account for a mortgage in nearly 30 years. The first mortgage I had the company kept screwing up the estimates and not withholding enough, so from then on I've paid (and am still paying) the insurance and taxes myself. I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to finances, and it makes me feel more secure to know and manage what's going on myself. I've never had a company refuse to do it, over a probably 7-8 mortgage and refi lifetime.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I haven't had an escrow account for a mortgage in nearly 30 years. The first mortgage I had the company kept screwing up the estimates and not withholding enough, so from then on I've paid (and am still paying) the insurance and taxes myself. I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to finances, and it makes me feel more secure to know and manage what's going on myself. I've never had a company refuse to do it, over a probably 7-8 mortgage and refi lifetime.
I have never had one refuse, but every one has charged me a fee so I can pay on my own...

Usually the fee is $100 or so...
Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #13

If your escrow was increased by $50, there should have still been enough to make the P&I payments.

The bank can only foreclose on the P&I portion, not escrow. You could have made your own property tax and insurance payments.

Somewhere along the line, you would have received a non-payment indicator for property taxes.

Who manages these properties? If it is yourself, it's time to sell.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #14

Since the servicer did not accept and attempted to return the entire payment instead of crediting the P&I and billing the escrow shortage, the property probably IS in foreclosure. Whether the law and your mortgage contract permit this are the questions that need to be answered. My guess is you will need an attorney to take a hard line with the lender that services the loan.

A lot of servicing companies, especially the ones that handle the riskier loans, are bad actors. Look up the company that services the loan and find the complaints. You may also have a case for approaching the state agency that supervises mortgage lending, if your state has one.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have never had one refuse, but every one has charged me a fee so I can pay on my own...

Ooh! Not me. I'd probably have to really consider it if I had to pay a fee. Cheap vs. control...which one would win?
Old 02-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Ooh! Not me. I'd probably have to really consider it if I had to pay a fee. Cheap vs. control...which one would win?

EASILY control.... I have had too many problems when I had escrow... and I did not have it that many years....

Also, I can double up my property taxes every other year for a larger itemized deduction and use the standard deduction the other years.... cannot do that with an escrow....
Old 02-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bank screwed us....

And I didn't even get a calendar...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #18

Quote:

YIKES! A hundred dollars? Per year or one time fee? The last mortgage we got from Quicken and I was really expecting they would resist giving me a mortgage with no escrow but they didn't bat an eye when I told them I would pay taxes and insurance myself. I assume once you have a track record they don't insist. Between the county, the insurance company, and the mortgage company there are too many chances for one of 'em to screw something up.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Also, I can double up my property taxes every other year for a larger itemized deduction and use the standard deduction the other years.... cannot do that with an escrow....
Interesting, I didn't realize you could over pay on your property taxes and deduct the whole amount you paid vs what you are actually billed....

Something I wouldn't mind utilizing when I get to the standard deduction phase...
Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
YIKES! A hundred dollars? Per year or one time fee? The last mortgage we got from Quicken and I was really expecting they would resist giving me a mortgage with no escrow but they didn't bat an eye when I told them I would pay taxes and insurance myself. I assume once you have a track record they don't insist. Between the county, the insurance company, and the mortgage company there are too many chances for one of 'em to screw something up.
One time fee when closing... kinda to try and discourage you...

They used to make a lot of money on the float... even if they tell you they do not make any... they lied...