Join Early Retirement Today

Banks Ain't What They Used to Be
Old 02-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Banks Ain't What They Used to Be

Hanging out at the bank today waiting to get a safe deposit box, I was reading a lot of the promotional literature there. It looked like it actually cost a few books to open up a savings account! I can remember years ago when savings accounts, even Christmas clubs, were free! And when banks would give gifts for opening up a checking/savings acount. I don't think my parents ever bought a toaster---they got it directly from the bank or through green stamps that the bank gave to redeem.

I know I'm dating myself and things have changed---but I as wondering why. Does it really cost banks that much more now to do business?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure if you have your accounts at a large national bank or a small community bank but larger banks have alot of overhead that smaller community banks don't have. There are more branches to pay for and larger ATM and online networks to maintain. Another reason is that banks are taking larger losses due to identity theft and fradulent debit and credit card transactions. Not to mention higher default rates on credit cards. Of course they're not going to eat those fees, they're passed along to the consumer.

So, yes, it does cost banks more to do business now than it did even 20 years ago when there was no online banking, no ATM's, no identity theft, fewer branches and very few credit cards to take losses on.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I know I'm dating myself and things have changed---but I as wondering why. Does it really cost banks that much more now to do business?
For-profit banks think that non-profit credit unions are the worst evil invention ever to be seen in a capitalistic society.

But I wonder who has more deposits...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
For-profit banks think that non-profit credit unions are the worst evil invention ever to be seen in a capitalistic society.

But I wonder who has more deposits...
The entirety of the credit union industry balance sheet is rounding error to US banks.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not sure, but what I do know is that it is possible for me to do all the banking I need to do at virtually zero cost.

I have two checking accounts, three savings accounts, three retirement accounts, nine college accounts, a mortgage, a student loan, and about 25 or 30 credit cards. I have electronic access to all of those accounts, online bill pay, checks, ATMs, debit cards, etc. I pay interest on the mortgage and student loan, of course, but not much beyond that. According to Quicken in the last six months I have spent a total of about $12 in bank charges across all of those accounts. Most of that money is interest payments when I overdraft my checking account when my large transfers in and out miss by a day or two. I've made much more than that $12 back in bank interest, account opening bonuses, and so forth.

I doubt I am unusual on these boards, but whenever I see people paying for banking services I just don't get it, since it seems easy to get those services for free.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
The entirety of the credit union industry balance sheet is rounding error to US banks.
Amazing-- I wonder why the banks bother lobbying so aggressively against legislation perpetuating the CU industry.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Amazing-- I wonder why the banks bother lobbying so aggressively against legislation perpetuating the CU industry.
Like you said: because they are EVIL!

I think the banks most threatened by the CUs are the community banks who look a lot like credit unions to begin with. The megabanks don't really care either way what the peasants of their industry choose to squabble over.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was a lad ('60s) the banks used to be open 'til 3 pm.

Mike D.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, lets see...Wells Fargo and Bank of America, the two local humongobanks...both have huge and very attractively appointed buildings in the main city near me. One of my credit unions has no building downtown, just the branches. I'm betting the Penfed building, wherever it is, is pretty mundane and grim looking.

You do the math.

Funny thing though, my dad wont put his money in a credit union, even though wells fargo hits him up monthly for various vague and often incorrect fees. When I suggest he try something like penfed, he looks like I just suggested he put his money in a paper bag and bury it in the yard.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'm betting the Penfed building, wherever it is, is pretty mundane and grim looking.
Wouldn't know. I've been a customer for two years and never set foot in the nearest branch, let alone been on the base where it's located. Of course I've been giving them money for months but I've never tried to get any of it back.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm hoping to achieve the same distinction with Navy Federal as soon as I can deposit checks from my scanner.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been giving them money for months but I've never tried to get any of it back.
Me neither.

Hmm, we're pumping money into the Pentagon credit union, and the government is about to give us all tax rebates and ... and...

Ruh roh...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hmm, we're pumping money into the Pentagon credit union, and the government is about to give us all tax rebates and ... and...
Can I save money on the actual thank you card and just maybe send an e-card or something instead?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
I'm not sure if you have your accounts at a large national bank or a small community bank but larger banks have alot of overhead that smaller community banks don't have. There are more branches to pay for and larger ATM and online networks to maintain. Another reason is that banks are taking larger losses due to identity theft and fradulent debit and credit card transactions. Not to mention higher default rates on credit cards. Of course they're not going to eat those fees, they're passed along to the consumer.

So, yes, it does cost banks more to do business now than it did even 20 years ago when there was no online banking, no ATM's, no identity theft, fewer branches and very few credit cards to take losses on.
That almost sounds like the large national banks could shrink and attract fewer customers to cut down on overhead. I wish they could find a way to not transfer the identity theft expenses to the honest customers, but as with everything else, in the end, the customer ALWAYS pays.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The biggest money maker for the mega banks is not the fees (even though that is in the many billions), but the float on the deposits...

My 'high' interest checking account at mega pays a WHOPPING .15%... it was way up there at .20% until the fed cut the rate down so I don't get as much now...

When you think that I probably have an average balance of.... say $5,000, then it is costing me about $200 or so to have a checking account.. even though I don't 'pay'...

Nobody should pay 'fees' unless they can not handle money at all... to many free checking accounts out there...