Join Early Retirement Today

Banner Ads
Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
gone traveling

Banner Ads

The last few times I logged onto FIRE I have been assaulted greeted with a banner ad for "Dump the Pump", an ad for the American Public Transportation Association. Clicking the link takes you to a website touting the moral superiority of public transportation. It's like something from Soviet Central Planning. I grit my teeth every time I see it. I worked hard my whole life so I wouldn't have to ride the damn bus. I'll enjoy driving on Dump the Pump Day, because all the brainwashed lumpen proletariat citizens who lap up this pablum will be crammed together on the buses singing "Kumbaya" ...

But, maybe that's just me...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They'll be driving to the Gulf coast for vacation...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't see the ad. Firefox at work!

When I find out what day they want to boycott the pumps I'll be sure to fill up my gas guzzler Suburban with 7.4 litre engine. Drive around and will floor it every chance I get. My even drag my trailer around town for a good measure.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
The last few times I logged onto FIRE I have been assaulted greeted with a banner ad for "Dump the Pump", an ad for the American Public Transportation Association. Clicking the link takes you to a website touting the moral superiority of public transportation. It's like something from Soviet Central Planning. I grit my teeth every time I see it. I worked hard my whole life so I wouldn't have to ride the damn bus. I'll enjoy driving on Dump the Pump Day, because all the brainwashed lumpen proletariat citizens who lap up this pablum will be crammed together on the buses singing "Kumbaya" ...

Give ad-block a go. Be warned however that it might have been
written by a member of the brainwashed lumpen proletariat
Old 06-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:

A lot of those ads are 'served' based on your geo location or maybe a keyword on the page you are reading. I've been seeing ads for tractors, home radiation detection kits and wrinkle products. Wanna trade?
Paleeze....?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I got a banner ad for "Lump Sum" somethingsomething that no doubt was triggered by the "lumpen proletariat" comment WS made! The banner ad generator tests a little low on the artificial intelligence quotients
Old 06-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #7

Must be you. I got ads from Amex Bank, Comerica Bank and Ameritrade.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I got a banner ad for "Lump Sum" somethingsomething that no doubt was triggered by the "lumpen proletariat" comment WS made! The banner ad generator tests a little low on the artificial intelligence quotients
I guess you're lust lumpen slummin'...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Don't those ads pay or generate income for this forum?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
I got a banner ad for "Lump Sum" somethingsomething that no doubt was triggered by the "lumpen proletariat" comment WS made!

Shouldn't it have been a banner ad for Lump Sum if it was looking for keywords?
Quote:
The banner ad generator tests a little low on the artificial intelligence quotients
Or, maybe the ad generator is grading us on some kind of AI curve?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHLnFLA View Post
Don't those ads pay or generate income for this forum?
More exactly, they generate income for the forum owners.

Ha
Old 06-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty good at ignoring the ads even though I don't block them. Had to look, Betty White wants to chat!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I don't believe that I have ever clicked om a banner ad. I did not even notice them until your post. Hope that they are not paying to get my eyes.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll enjoy driving on Dump the Pump Day, because all the brainwashed lumpen proletariat citizens who lap up this pablum will be crammed together on the buses singing "Kumbaya" ...

Won't be catching me on that bus. I've already done my part for the "cause". I spent years commuting on the subway into DC. The cars were usually jam packed. No fun, particularly on hot summer days. Major BO issues.

Sometimes I had to work really late. The good thing was, the subway wasn't as crowded. The bad thing was most the workers had gone home and the wierdos were out.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
...the weirdos were out.
I have never ridden the subway in D.C.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have never ridden the subway in D.C.
If you've ever ridden the subway in NYC or Boston, MA you'd appreciate the luxury of DC's Metro. At least your feet don't stick to the floor, and if you get on at one of the outer stations you can actually sit down.