Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Has anyone else noticed that CFL's don't actually last as long as everyone says they do? I put some in about 18 months ago and I've already replaced a couple.
I've sent mail to GE about this for one or two of their CFL bulbs and they sent back a coupon for free CFLs.

The box usually contains fine print, e.g,

Guaranteed to last 8 years based on rated life at 4 hours consumer use per day at 120V.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting that GE pays more per year for lobbing congress than all of "Big Oil " combined. Does this make them the new bad guys " Big Green" ?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Has anyone else noticed that CFL's don't actually last as long as everyone says they do? I put some in about 18 months ago and I've already replaced a couple.
The one's Ive been buying are Syvania from Lowe's. They claim $37 energy savings over 7yr life. They are rated @ 8000 hrs. I never noticed before this thread, but they are actually guaranteed for 7yrs (based on 3 hrs/day). Thats 7.3 yrs. Fine print: return failed bulb, PROOF of PURHASE (UPC CODE?) and REGISTER RECEIPT for replacement ....wow, no proof of 3hrs/day usage required! So who's anal enough around here to save the receipts and bar codes for 7 years?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So who's anal enough around here to save the receipts and bar codes for 7 years?
Guess that would be me. I just throw the receipts and a few bar codes into the filing cabinet. I write the first use date on the CFL base.

The benefit of this law was made clear to me on Christmas trip to my sister's. All incandescents there, with many lights that stay on for long periods.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

When they blow I just get another one at costco for 50c. I'm not too worried about getting my 8 years out of them.

I guess if they went out more often or I had more early failures than I had with incandescents, I'd be more vigilant.

But then maybe i've just been lucky. A lot of my CFL's are more than 5 years old and have been installed in 3 houses and moved with me. The two in my garage right now were in the house I bought in 1993.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But as presbyopia really kicks in I can't work without a head-mounted LED light. In another couple years I may be reading with one, too.
Global Darkening.

Just sayin'...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Use mostly CFLs, both to consume less juice, but also to generate less heat. Comes in real handy in August...

Use LEDs for nightlight and "don't stub your toe" applications.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I'm not excited with the idea of 15 easy bake oven elements running in my house when its 110 outside.

Theres also a huge domestic tranquility aspect. My wife is one of those folks that leaves every light in her path on as she travels around the house. I used to have to hike my pants up under my armpits and bellow "Who left these dang lights on?!?" and then grumble about the thermostat and kids on my lawn.

With the CFL's...eh...so what...leave them on.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok, you guys got me on the CFL kick. Over the weekend I installed 8 CFL's in outside yard fixtures that run from dusk till about 11 each evening. Previously these had 60 watt lamps on dimmers set to about 60% of full power. The CFL's I installed are 9 watt N:VISION lamps from Homer Depot (4 pack for $6.88. So far they're doing fine and come up to full brightness in about a minute at 25F. The package said they are good down to -20f. The 9 watt lamps are more than bright enough and almost equal the old 60 watt lamps at full power. There should be some real savings with the new lamps since I went from 480 watts down to 72 watts.

Just waiting on my dividend check from the power company.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
Interesting that GE pays more per year for lobbing congress than all of "Big Oil " combined. Does this make them the new bad guys " Big Green" ?
Maybe we've found the "smoking gun" - let's see
With a bazillion domiciles on the planet, and an average of 50 light bulbs per domicile (not counting exclusions), that's 50 bazillion replacement bulbs that are going to be strongly influenced or legislated to be replaced by 2012, at an average price of 50 cents (per CFB no hassle replacement value), that should equal GE stock price going back to it's old performance of splitting every couple of years......
Better add some GE to the long term value side. Might not hurt to add some Phillips as well for international flavor. ChaChing!
Combined with that dividend check from the power company per Uncle Honey, it's both short term and long term - WooHoo! ER is getting easier and easier.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

I'm beginning to see the light.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
replacement bulbs that are going to be strongly influenced or legislated to be replaced by 2012
But the law only says what can be sold -- there's no requirement or incentive for replacing existing lights that I saw.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
But the law only says what can be sold -- there's no requirement or incentive for replacing existing lights that I saw.
Reminds me of the CFL commercial showing two kids playing in a room together.

One asks the other "Hey, how many kids does it take to change a light bulb?"
The other replies "Why would anyone need to change a light bulb?!?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #134
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
When they blow I just get another one at costco for 50c. I'm not too worried about getting my 8 years out of them.

I guess if they went out more often or I had more early failures than I had with incandescents, I'd be more vigilant.

But then maybe i've just been lucky. A lot of my CFL's are more than 5 years old and have been installed in 3 houses and moved with me. The two in my garage right now were in the house I bought in 1993.
wow, that's some lbym..taking the light bulbs with you!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Yep. Took a big box around the new house and put all the incandescents in it, took it up to the old house and removed all my cfl's and replaced with the regular bulbs from the new house, then on my next trip back, reinstalled the cfls there.

Why buy all new CFL's for the new house? Plus a fluorescent light comes off as "cheap" to some people, and in this buyers market I wanted every possible advantage. Big blazing 100 watt bulbs in every fixture.