Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I guess this isn't going to be so hard after all.
I'll just find some good quality long handle tongs, a spatula, and a stainless scouring pad.

That Thermapen looks nice, but NINETY bucks for a meat thermometer seems... wow!

What about one of those $20 or $30 meat thermometers by the same company?
Is the folding probe the only real difference, or is there something else I'm not seeing?
Lots of discussions on Thermapens here by serious cooking/grilling aficionados. It's super fast and very precise, which is important when you are grilling meat or seafood at high temps. Meat Thermometer Too Slow

You can sometimes find them for sale at around $76. Still expensive. But worth it IMO.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We seldom cook inside the house in the Deep South--year round. And every barbeque chef has a gas grill, a charcoal grill (preferably Weber) and a smoker for when we have time and enough beer on hand to cook 8 hours.

As far as tools go, my favorite is a Pampered Chef barbeque spatula. Meat thermometers are seldom used except when barbequing a long time--like a Boston Butt. I cook by time on steaks, pork chops and ribs.

If anyone has any questions about barbequing, including recipes and hardware, the best place online is at AmazingRibs.com. Although Meathead is from Chicago, he's right on in everything he publishes online--including rating all the grills and smokers. His recipes on sauces and bbq rubs are simply great.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Lots of discussions on Thermapens here.html[/url]

You can sometimes find them for sale at around $76. Still expensive. But worth it IMO.
+100 on the Thermapen for an instant read, high quality thermometer...
also a plug for the Maverick 732 probe thermometer.. set and forget..

My outdoor cooking skills took giant leaps forward when I learned to cook by temperature, not time... just hit the target and you cannot fail.

good luck
Old 07-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I use the Thermopop from the same company... it takes a couple extra seconds to get the temperature but I'm ok with that since it was less than half the price IIRC. I prefer a spatula to tongs... even for turning nice steaks. I hardly ever use tongs anymore.

Best thing that I ever bought for our Weber is the enameled cast iron grates... they give me the superior heat retention of cast iron with the low maintenance of enameled grates. IMO better than both the stock enameled steel grates and stainless steel which does not have the heat retention of cast iron.

I sometimes use a smoker box but not often. I have a rotisserie and enjoy using it but don't use it often.

One other must have that I have not seen mentioned is a stand for beer can chicken. Somehow, we ended up with two.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #25

A thermometer is good when starting out, but with a few years you will be able to judge "doneness" by look and feel. The only time I use one anymore is for long cooking of large food (whole fowl and large roasts), and I like the probe in all the time versions as I don't like to stab the meat repeatedly.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #26

Quote:

That Thermapen looks nice, but NINETY bucks for a meat thermometer seems... wow!
Sign up for their email list and they'll send you discounts for discontinued colors, sales, etc. I did that and I ended up with one that is kind of U.S. Army olive drab green, but I didn't care about the color. I think it was $20 off.

According to their site and several users on the board here the advantages are very fast readout and high accuracy in temperature readings. Admittedly a much less expensive thermometer would probably work just as well but I was following the bling.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sign up for their email list and they'll send you discounts for discontinued colors, sales, etc. I did that and I ended up with one that is kind of U.S. Army olive drab green, but I didn't care about the color. I think it was $20 off.

According to their site and several users on the board here the advantages are very fast readout and high accuracy in temperature readings. Admittedly a much less expensive thermometer would probably work just as well but I was following the bling.
+1 on discounts. I recently bought one for $69. Likely a discontued color. My previous cheapo thermometer took 5-10 seconds to get the temp, not too fun keeping your hand over a hot grill for that long.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:14 AM   #28

I have found myself grilling after dark. I bought a Thermapen and it lights up when it's dark. Sweet. The Thermapop should be fine. I got one for my son.

Years ago I bought a spatula/toothed tong combo from Brookstone. I also have a pair if Ove-Glove barbecue mitts. For fish and some vegetables there are long handled holders that hold the food on both sides so you flip the whole thing. No sticking to the grill or falling in. And a wok with holes. I can grill the vegetables stir fry style but they taste grilled. Last, I've cooked rice on the grill. Add rice and water to a small loaf pan, cover in foil, and cook 15-20 minutes. I like doing the whole meal on grill. And it's 15 steps from the pool.😃

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
....I like doing the whole meal on grill. And it's 15 steps from the pool.😃...
We have an old Coleman griddle from back in the days when we went camping regularly and cooked over a campfire. I frequently use it to cook breakfast.. bacon first, then toast, then eggs or pancakes.... and easy cleanup.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #30

I just use a regular meat thermometer, for things I'm unsure about, it shows the temp in about 5 seconds.

Be sure you do NOT place the BBQ close to your house wall, neighbor did that and now has a new wall and wooden deck, could have had a new house.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #31

I enjoy watching cooking shows. Many of them use a technique when grilling where you heat up the entire grill (mine is propane and has 4 burners) and then shut off some of the burners so that you have a hot zone with direct heat and a slightly cooler zone without direct heat. I've used this often.

I have a vertical chicken stand kind of like this - Jumbo Non Stick Vertical Chicken Roaster Progressive Brand | eBay and I heat the grill with all 4 burners, then shut off the middle 2 and put the chicken roaster in the middle. I makes your grill into a big oven and the chicken grease doesn't catch on fire.

I'm also a ThermoPop user! Great tool and I got it on sale.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #32

Thanks for your input. It really was helpful for this first timer.
I bought the tongs as recommended, but because of the small additional cost of buying a set, I also have a big fork and spatula. I bought a cleaning brush too.
I really liked the idea of the Thermapen but the cost was too high for me.
When I was buying my utensil set I saw a device that looked like the Thermapen but it said Char-Broil on it and the price was about $19, so I bought that too.

Instant Read Digital BBQ Thermometer | Char-Broil®

I don't know how it compares to the gizmo that you guys recommended so strongly, but it seems to work great for me.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

Instant Read Digital BBQ Thermometer | Char-Broil®

I don't know how it compares to the gizmo that you guys recommended so strongly, but it seems to work great for me.

That digital thermometer looks like it is also a cell phone and tv remote