Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you prefer bare or enameled cast iron cookware?
Bare all the way baby! 30 76.92%
I prefer to cover up with enamel. 4 10.26%
I don't do iron. 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Though we have 'non-stick' pans, we almost always use the good old cast iron behemoths.....and they're the only ones that I myself will use! Everything seems to cook better and taste better using the CI, and clean up is a cinch! And I agree 100% with RonBoyd on the "Southern Fried Chicken"....'non'stick' can't hold a candle to CI when it come to that!!!

I don't think we have any cast iron pans, pots, or dutch ovens that are less than 50 years old, and most are much older than that...passed down through the generations. That'll never happen with the 'coated' cr*pwear.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #22

I always use non stick pans. We eat very healthy. Little to no fat added to meals is better for us. Now when we want southern friend chicken. We bring out the cast iron. Just healthy lifestyle choice. If I had my way it would be fat and bacon to the end. However I enjoy my standing in life and wish to drag it on for a few more years.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

What type of flipping utensils/spoons/stirrers are best for the cast iron? I'm thinking of switching from stainless to cast iron and maybe resurrect my 1980's commercial grade utensils.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
What type of flipping utensils/spoons/stirrers are best for the cast iron? I'm thinking of switching from stainless to cast iron and maybe resurrect my 1980's commercial grade utensils.
Pretty much whatever you want to use.....ya ain't gonna hurt it!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am partial to wood for stirring and that type of exercise. Mine are so old I can't recommend further than don't buy the cheap stuff in the "Kitchen" aisle in Wal Mart, Safeway, etc.

Let me google that for you

Flipping... Hmmm what ever gets into my hand when I need it.

I have come around to the Silicone spatulas... they don't seem to melt into the food like the rubber ones did.

Let me google that for you
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #26

Yeah, I was just wondering if metal utensils might ruin the non-stick patina.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No. (IMHO)
Old 11-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Depends how much you dig into the pan.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Depends how much you dig into the pan.
Yeah, if your "1980's commercial grade utensils" include an axe/adze/hatchet, you may need to upgrade.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yeah, if your "1980's commercial grade utensils" include an axe/adze/hatchet, you may need to upgrade.
Be sure to stay tuned for Extreme Utensils, right after Hotrodded Toasters...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #31

Hey Im just saying! Dont want anyone to get any extra iron in their diet.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Be sure to stay tuned for Extreme Utensils, right after Hotrodded Toasters...

The utensils I got were from an uncle who lived in Quebec and they are 100% metal and I dare say the flipper thing could be used in Formula One racing in place of the jack. Very nice quality, marked "Apres les Walmart" .

They are housed in wooden briefcase-like boxes with handles and appear to me to be a chef's personal tools. No idea where he bought them but all the markings are in French.

I don't use them on my current stainless DeMeyere stuff but if I get cast iron, I intend to break them out.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I always use non stick pans. We eat very healthy. Little to no fat added to meals is better for us. Now when we want southern friend chicken. We bring out the cast iron. Just healthy lifestyle choice. If I had my way it would be fat and bacon to the end. However I enjoy my standing in life and wish to drag it on for a few more years.
Me too. I usually bake steam or braise rather than frying. Is keeping the non-stick finish on cast iron dependent on frequent frying?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I use a cast iron skillet for corn bread, though it does require some re-seasoning afterward. Also use a cast iron griddle for searing, mostly fish.

I fry eggs in a teflon skillet. But a bacon-fat seasoned skillet is the ultimate egg frying platform. Not to mentioned fried chicken. Neither of which is on the menu much these days...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I use a cast iron skillet for corn bread, though it does require some re-seasoning afterward. Also use a cast iron griddle for searing, mostly fish.

I fry eggs in a teflon skillet. But a bacon-fat seasoned skillet is the ultimate egg frying platform. Not to mentioned fried chicken. Neither of which is on the menu much these days...
I like about 1/4" of bacon fat in the skillet and the bacon brown and making some foam and bout that time drop an egg on the skillet from about 2 inches and let the yellow just slightly burst and watch the egg sizzle and bubble and form that little crispy ring around the edge. All the while washing the hot fat over the top and getting a perfect sunny side up.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I like about 1/4" of bacon fat in the skillet and the bacon brown and making some foam and bout that time drop an egg on the skillet from about 2 inches and let the yellow just slightly burst and watch the egg sizzle and bubble and form that little crispy ring around the edge. All the while washing the hot fat over the top and getting a perfect sunny side up.
Clogs my arteries just to think about it! Bet it's good, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll bring the toast!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Me too. I usually bake steam or braise rather than frying. Is keeping the non-stick finish on cast iron dependent on frequent frying?
Its not so much as non stick. Its cast iron holds heat so much better than anything else. So you can fry foods that much better. Ive never cooked anything in cast iron that did not have fat added to it.

Now, Im sure we have some folks here who have more experience than me in using cast iron. Might correct me.

Oh and the bacon thing above...:Groan:
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Clogs my arteries just to think about it! Bet it's good, though.
I have to admit, that is all imagery and is from an old John Wayne movie. Can't remember which one. So, I'll munch on these genetically preselected and approved hydroponic alfalfa sprouts and dream.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I find that enameled cast iron requires very little oil, just enough to evenly coat the bottom of the pan to avoid sticking, usually 1 tablespoon or less depending on the pan size. I made a pot roast tonight in one of my enameled cast iron dutch oven and used less than 1 tablespoon of oil to brown the meat and onions. That's about 1/6 tbsp of oil per serving. It seems very reasonable.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote