Bare Cast Iron vs Enameled Cast Iron Cookware

Do you prefer bare or enameled cast iron cookware?

• Bare all the way baby!

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • I prefer to cover up with enamel.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I don't do iron.

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
The rest of my cookware is 1984 vintage stainless steel Revereware with real copper clad bottoms. I bought a full set for practically nothing (compared to today's price) at an outlet store in Rome NY (roadtrip!) back when I was a newlywed and they were still manufacturing it there. The thickness of the steel is much greater than anything I've seen lately.

I use this set daily. It seems to be indestructible. :cool:

I am so envious! Back in the early 1970's my mother gave me two Revereware saucepans with lids, which she probably bought in the 1960's. I still have one - - the other went to my ex when we divorced. I have looked and looked for pans that I might like as much as these. I think the quality of older Revereware like that is terrific, and the handles on mine won't burn your hand. I use that pan and lid more often than any other cookware that I own.

CHROME- it's what's for dinner! (and you don't even have to unload the shopping cart!)

Attachments

• chrome.jpg
    chrome.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
I am so envious! Back in the early 1970's my mother gave me two Revereware saucepans with lids, which she probably bought in the 1960's. I still have one - - the other went to my ex when we divorced. I have looked and looked for pans that I might like as much as these. I think the quality of older Revereware like that is terrific, and the handles on mine won't burn your hand. I use that pan and lid more often than any other cookware that I own.
Well, if I ever run across any older pots in a garage sale, I'll snag some for you. It's so common here even after all these years. People have no clue how nice it is.

Now I'm really going to turn you green with envy. :blush:
A few years later I sprang for a full set of Oneida Limited silverware with real silverplate. And where did I get this stuff? The outlet store in Oneida NY. It was a discontinued floral edge pattern that I picked up for peanuts.

You just can't get good real metal stuff like this anymore without breaking the bank.
The Oneida NY plant closed years ago.
Oneida Limited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Oneida silverware a local thing or have others heard of it?

Freebird, I have heard of it though I just use cheap stainless steel myself (so that I don't feel badly if I accidently throw one in the trash or whatever; plus in a pinch I have been known to use a knife as a screwdriver, a forks are handy for various non-standard purposes as well). I'll bet it is absolutely beautiful, though, and getting it for a bargain price is phenomenal! Best of both worlds. :)

Well, if I ever run across any older pots in a garage sale, I'll snag some for you. It's so common here even after all these years. People have no clue how nice it is.

Now I'm really going to turn you green with envy. :blush:
A few years later I sprang for a full set of Oneida Limited silverware with real silverplate. And where did I get this stuff? The outlet store in Oneida NY. It was a discontinued floral edge pattern that I picked up for peanuts.

You just can't get good real metal stuff like this anymore without breaking the bank.
Oneida Limited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Oneida silverware a local thing or have others heard of it?

Is that the same Oneida that made the stainless steel or silverplate flatware you could get with Betty Crocker coupons? I have 6 place settings of the "Brahms" pattern in stainless steel but IIRC some of the serving pieces came in silver or gold plate as well.

I just looked and there is still an Oneieda website which appears to be active. I guess they have moved their manufacturing to you-know-where.

I think Revereware is great too. The abovementioned stainless steel pans are all RW, and my parents still have the ones they used every day when us kids were growing up. I often see Revereware in thrift stores.

Rather than nonstick "teflon", I have better luck sauteing with a little butter in classic Farberware (the pans have "a thick aluminum core coated by a durable stainless steel cap"--the copper in the Revereware probably heats more evenly, but same concept). I just replaced our only two nonstick pans with the Farberware equivalent when I realized how much of that teflon/silverstone/whatever coating we've eaten over the years.

I have a newish Lodge cast iron skillet. Everything sticks to it no matter what I do and it just seems dirty all the time. I think I have to work on renewing the seasoned surface.

I've read this elsewhere, but haven't understood it completely.

For example, if you fry fish or something that sticks to the pan, do you still just use water?

I hand wash using dish soap and try not to scrub off the coating that's built up on the pan.

Any advice or tips?

Food really doesn't stick to a properly seasoned CI pan. I have a Cast Iron skillet that was purchased "raw" or unseasoned. I seasoned it as previously described (i.e., heated in a 300 degree oven, coated with a good quality vegetable oil, heated again then wiped out.)

Every time I use the pan, I wipe it out with a well-wrung out paper towel or old kitchen towel. If the pan is very dirty, I do use a small amount of dish soap and a quick rinse...never soak a CI pan and if you must scrub it, use one of those nylon mesh scrubbies but do not scrub all the way down to the bare metal! Dry the pan thoroughly and add about 1 tablespoon or so of good vegetable oil (I use canola); wipe the pan with a paper towel or napkin to remove all but a thin film of oil on the pan. I store my CI in my oven and even if I'm not using it, I allow it to heat up when I'm pre-heating the oven. It's perfectly seasoned now.

Two other good ways to season cast iron:

1) cook half a pound of bacon every day for a week or so. Then use as required.

2) Deep fry your dinner in them several times. Tempura anyone? Deep fried chicken?

Might raise your blood lipids for a few days, but you will have nicely seasoned CI.

R

Two other good ways to season cast iron:

1) cook half a pound of bacon every day for a week or so. Then use as required.

2) Deep fry your dinner in them several times. Tempura anyone? Deep fried chicken?

Might raise your blood lipids for a few days, but you will have nicely seasoned CI.

R

This is how many cooks keep their griddles seasoned.

Is that the same Oneida that made the stainless steel or silverplate flatware you could get with Betty Crocker coupons? I have 6 place settings of the "Brahms" pattern in stainless steel but IIRC some of the serving pieces came in silver or gold plate as well.

I just looked and there is still an Oneieda website which appears to be active. I guess they have moved their manufacturing to you-know-where.
It could be (BCrocker offer). Oneida Limited made so many different lines of silverware, silver plated and common flatware over the years.
All domestic manufacturing ceased, but the company still retains a US address. :nonono:
I am kicking myself for not grabbing more sets at the outlet center. They were dirt cheap and plentiful at the time. I could have made a nice little profit from selling replacement pieces for those authentic silverplated sets that are no longer available. Who knew? :confused:

Used my new CI pan yesterday to fry my daughter some home made meat patties I made. LOVED IT! Especially loved the fact we won't accidentally be eating bits of teflon in our meals. :sick:

Probably not the real thing then:

Oneida 10-Piece Cookeware

Through November 10th, Oneida is having a sale on their stainless steel and hard anodized 10-piece cookware sets. Normally, $250, these sets are now only $99.99.

To make this deal even better, add $20 worth of items to your cart, then use coupon code DKR20 to take $20 off your order total. For example, add this 5 piece professional bakeware set ($19.99) to your cart, then use the coupon code to drop the cost of the bakeware set form your order. It's like getting two great deals at once!

Free shipping on orders $99 or more. Additional handling charge of $5 applies.

Probably not the real thing then:

Oneida 10-Piece Cookeware
I have no idea of the quality of Oneida cookware. First time I realized they made pots and pans. :rolleyes: The stuff I saw at the now closed Oneida NY factory was silverware and elegantly engraved silverplate coffee urns, soup tureens, platters, trophies, goblets, etc. This stuff was exquisite.

The silverware is no longer made in the US, according to the Wikipedia link I posted earlier. That cookware is probably :confused: made overseas if it carries the Oneida brand name.

It's the older copper clad Revereware pots and pans you want to get your hands on.

I'm loving the cast iron. Ours came pre-seasoned and I've been cooking in it just like I do in previous non-stick pans. Only oil I use is quality olive oil. After I finish a dish I rinse it with water, wipe it out, put it back on the gas burner for a minute to totally dry and then store it in the oven. Nothing I've cooked has stuck to it at all.

It totally rocks!

Good to hear - your cast has a rougher texture than the old stuff - had talked w/ one person who thought that actually contributed to the non-stick nature and could be superior to smooth. The wood handles seem like they would have positives and a few negatives as well. Glad you like the pans.

I too have used cast iron for years. They hget better with use and age.

Too clean them, use a bit of oil, salt for abrasion, and "scrub" with a paper towel or toothbrush. I usually just wipe then out with paper towels but have done an occasional water rince. Just no soap!

The wood handles seem like they would have positives and a few negatives as well. Glad you like the pans.

The wood handle makes it easy to handle (ha ha) and it comes off. Has a brass nut at the end and the wood handle is hollow and slides off an iron rod that extends from the pan into the handle. So you can pull it off and put the whole thing in the oven or whatever. Seems a pretty good compromise thus far.

I still like that pan so much I just make up reasons to use it. :LOL:

I heart my cast iron pans! I have a regular fry pan and a double burner flat pan that is smooth on one side and ridged on the other for grilling. My most recent purchase was an ebelskiver cast iron pan which I love and if you have kids should try one! The flat one I use for pancakes, grill side for chicken, sausages and fish. I think this is something I became interested in from the obsessor's on this board...

With all of them, preseasoned or not, the more you use it, the more nonstick they get. Make sure to pre-heat them for a good bit - medium or just below medium for at least 15 minutes - if you don't the meat or other stuff is likely to stick. I just got in the habit of getting the pan out and putting it on the burner while I gather the rest of the ingredients...Just add a drop of oil and if the oil is smoking it is too hot, lower the heat.

If I cook something greasy or that ends up creating a lot of cast off things, then I run it under HOT water and sometimes use a scratchy - non soapy - pad or sponge to get all the muck off. After I dry thoroughly, I put a dab of oil and wipe it so it's not dry.

My pans that are older now are really really non sticky - you can cook eggs, no problem.

i also love using metal spatulas on these and not worry about scratching.

I'm considering getting one dutch oven, but not sure enamaled or not. I would prob use for stews and roasting large meat...enamaled seems more appealing rather than having soup soak in the bare one? I dunno.

I'm loving the cast iron. Ours came pre-seasoned and I've been cooking in it just like I do in previous non-stick pans. Only oil I use is quality olive oil. After I finish a dish I rinse it with water, wipe it out, put it back on the gas burner for a minute to totally dry and then store it in the oven. Nothing I've cooked has stuck to it at all.

It totally rocks!

Careful w/ the olive oil, it has a lower smoking temp (i learned the hard way)...so if you need a high heat switch to a veggie oil - canola is good for you too...:greetings10:

Related to this, anyone know of a good enameled or Stainless Steel electric skillet?

We have a heavy aluminum one, 30 YO - works great, and the 12" square gives a lot more cooking space than a 12" diameter pan. For some things, it's nice to set the thermostat and let it go. But I don't want to cook acidic stuff in aluminum. Most of the new ones are Teflon, and I'm sure that will wear off in a few years.

TIA -ERD50

Related to this, anyone know of a good enameled or Stainless Steel electric skillet?

We have a heavy aluminum one, 30 YO - works great, and the 12" square gives a lot more cooking space than a 12" diameter pan. For some things, it's nice to set the thermostat and let it go. But I don't want to cook acidic stuff in aluminum. Most of the new ones are Teflon, and I'm sure that will wear off in a few years.

TIA -ERD50

Kind of big and very pricey, but at least it is a rectangle: All Clad Deluxe 6 Quart Electric Skillet [99006] - $299.95 : CooksPlus!, Kitchenware, Cookware, Cutlery, Small Kitchen Appliances, Wine Barware, Culnary Store

There are cheaper stainless steel ones but they are round.

This "seasoning" on the skillets--decades-old oxidized, rancid lipids, small bits of food and the microbes that eat it, plus the dust that sticks to all this--we're pretty sure it's good for us?

Kind of big and very pricey, but at least it is a rectangle: All Clad Deluxe 6 Quart Electric Skillet [99006] - $299.95 : CooksPlus!, Kitchenware, Cookware, Cutlery, Small Kitchen Appliances, Wine Barware, Culnary Store

There are cheaper stainless steel ones but they are round.

Thanks, looks nice, but that $300 price tag is a choker for LBYMs. It does seem like the SS ones are either really high end like this, or actually really cheap with just enough SS to be able to sell at mid-range but make them sound hi end.

Maybe I should take up metalworking as a hobby, and clad my old one with SS? How hard can that be? :whistle:

This "seasoning" on the skillets--decades-old oxidized, rancid lipids, small bits of food and the microbes that eat it, plus the dust that sticks to all this--we're pretty sure it's good for us?

mmmmm, sounds good!

I do think about that, but it's all heated up before the food hits it - what harm could it do (well, other than some carcinogenics, etc)?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom