Join Early Retirement Today

Bart Starr passes away.......
Old 05-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bart Starr passes away.......

When I was a kid I always enjoyed the rivalry between the Packers and Colts. Starr and Johnny Unitas had some classic games against each other. Starr wasn't flashy but got the job done. A field General and winner of the 1st two Super Bowls. May he RIP.

Legendary Packers HOF QB Starr dies at 85

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He was my hero back in the 60's when I was a kid. Gutsy player, can't remember the number of times he tossed a long ball on 3rd and 1

Old 05-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. I didn't think he was that old. I met him and his family in the late 70's - we were on the same flight to Denver for some skiing. Seemed like a decent guy.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

As a kid he was the guy. I read Jerry Kramer's "Instant Reply" a bunch of times.

RIP.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #5

Too young to remember him, but RIP.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Remember watching him play when I was a kid. This was after Bart Starr's glory days under Lombardi. Yet, during that era if Unitas was considered the GOAT then Starr wasn't far behind. In the days when QB's called their own plays.

RIP Bart Starr.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I just watched the Ice Bowl at , which was the most complete replay of that game I found. Some interesting things on the last minute TD play that I did not know.

- The Cowboys were expecting a pass. It was 3rd down, 16 seconds to go, no time outs left, and they had stopped 2 runs already, so they figured Starr would throw for the end zone or out of bounds if no one was open, and they'd still have one play left. There's almost no way they'd have gotten another play off had they not scored on 3rd down. So the Dallas linemen weren't as entrenched as you might have thought. In fact Pugh was a little more upright so he could try to bat down a pass.

- The play Starr called with actually a fullback dive, but he had decided he could get to the hole more quickly himself, so he kept it. He had discussed it with Lombardi on the sidelines during the time out, but told nobody in the huddle, and their fullback, Chuck Mercein, was surprised to not get the ball. In fact he had to hold up and make sure he wasn't penalized for pushing Starr in, which was illegal back then.

- Jerry Kramer, who made the key block (along with center Ken Bowman), actually jumped the snap a bit, which may have given him the advantage needed to beat Jethro Pugh. It should've been called an off-sides penalty, with no play. Who knows what would've happened then? Maybe the Packers would've thrown for a TD on 3rd and 6th. Maybe they tie it with a FG and the game goes to overtime and they all spend even more time out in that cold. Or maybe Dallas wins in regulation with an interception or a missed FG.

- Kramer, btw, noticed during the week that Pugh stood up pretty high and suggested that play (with the FB carrying). Lombardi looked at the film a few times and agreed, and they had it in mind for that type of situation.

One more funny thing, in the post game interviews they take a break and one of the announcers reminds fans that tickets still remain for the Super Bowl. I burst out laughing, since that would never happen today, but I don't think the Super Bowl even sold out.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #8

Bart Starr was a great QB and a class act.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

My Bart Starr storyÖ

I grew up in Milwaukee and, like most Wisconsinites at the time (60s and 70s), was a big Packer fan. One of my favorite experiences at the time was an annual visit to Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. (I was also a big nerd.)

For a reason thatís not worth going into, my brother and I got separated from our mother. Not knowing what else to do, we went to the information desk in the center of main lobby. I was completely distraught, partly because we didnít know where our mother was but mostly because I was missing out on time to peruse the museum. (Yep, big nerd.)

A man approached the information desk, and kindly asked us what was wrong. After we let him know, he introduced himself as Bart Starr, and offered to give us his autograph. My brother and I, born and bred Packers fans, thought this was awesome and calmed down immediately. (We were reunited with our mother about 10 minutes later.)

That was about 50 years ago, but Iíll always remember that moment of simple kindness.
KarenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
When I was a kid I always enjoyed the rivalry between the Packers and Colts. Starr and Johnny Unitas had some classic games against each other. Starr wasn't flashy but got the job done. A field General and winner of the 1st two Super Bowls. May he RIP.
Yeah, same here. I grew up in Chicago and remember watching a lot of those contests. He was a great quarterback.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I just watched the Ice Bowl at , which was the most complete replay of that game I found. Some interesting things on the last minute TD play that I did not know.

- The Cowboys were expecting a pass. It was 3rd down, 16 seconds to go, no time outs left, and they had stopped 2 runs already, so they figured Starr would throw for the end zone or out of bounds if no one was open, and they'd still have one play left. There's almost no way they'd have gotten another play off had they not scored on 3rd down. So the Dallas linemen weren't as entrenched as you might have thought. In fact Pugh was a little more upright so he could try to bat down a pass.

- The play Starr called with actually a fullback dive, but he had decided he could get to the hole more quickly himself, so he kept it. He had discussed it with Lombardi on the sidelines during the time out, but told nobody in the huddle, and their fullback, Chuck Mercein, was surprised to not get the ball. In fact he had to hold up and make sure he wasn't penalized for pushing Starr in, which was illegal back then.

- Jerry Kramer, who made the key block (along with center Ken Bowman), actually jumped the snap a bit, which may have given him the advantage needed to beat Jethro Pugh. It should've been called an off-sides penalty, with no play. Who knows what would've happened then? Maybe the Packers would've thrown for a TD on 3rd and 6th. Maybe they tie it with a FG and the game goes to overtime and they all spend even more time out in that cold. Or maybe Dallas wins in regulation with an interception or a missed FG.

- Kramer, btw, noticed during the week that Pugh stood up pretty high and suggested that play (with the FB carrying). Lombardi looked at the film a few times and agreed, and they had it in mind for that type of situation.

One more funny thing, in the post game interviews they take a break and one of the announcers reminds fans that tickets still remain for the Super Bowl. I burst out laughing, since that would never happen today, but I don't think the Super Bowl even sold out.
I remember this game well. A classic. Funny how certain games stick out in your mind more than others. Another game that I remember(nothing to do with Starr) more than other games was Super Bowl 3 when Joe Namath led the Jets to a big upset over the Colts. First win for the AFL over the mighty NFL.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I remember this game well. A classic. Funny how certain games stick out in your mind more than others. Another game that I remember(nothing to do with Starr) more than other games was Super Bowl 3 when Joe Namath led the Jets to a big upset over the Colts. First win for the AFL over the mighty NFL.
I remember that too, mostly because my dad was in a rotten mood after the game. I always thought it was just because he was an old time NFL fan and hated the AFL, but just a couple years ago found out he lost a huge bet on the game. Back then he traveled all week and I think he ate PB&Js for a few months and fudged his expense account to recover it. He thinks Mom never found out. I'd love to ask her if she knew, but don't want to dredge any trouble up.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote