Join Early Retirement Today

Basal Skin Cancer
Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Basal Skin Cancer

Welllllllllllll went to the dermatologist the other day for a follow up visit from a couple of years ago. The doc froze off a couple of spots and that was about it. I casually mentioned I had a pimple looking thing on my arm that had been there forever. So he did a biopsy and sure enough, a basal skin cancer. Fortunately the most curable kind of skin cancer but this just goes to show, you better inspect yourself good. Skin cancers are not always that obvious.

Will have it removed in a couple of weeks. Just glad it wasn't a melonoma. A friend of mind went through hell with that.(doing fine however)

http://www.umm.edu/skincancer/basal.htm
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Basal Skin Cancer
Old 10-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the post and reminder Dog52. I just checked the date of my last dematologist appointment. Eight months ago. I don't think I'm going to wait until the full year goes by this time.

Glad to hear you caught it and that it wasn't melanoma!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm, "small, fleshy bumps." Oh, no! I've got some small, fleshy bumps.... I better google some images....

I almost lost my cookies. If you decide to google for images of "basal cell carcinoma," prepare to avert your eyes from the "massive ulcerating" kind. I wonder how quickly they get to that state.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Hmm, "small, fleshy bumps." Oh, no! I've got some small, fleshy bumps.... I better google some images....

I almost lost my cookies. If you decide to google for images of "basal cell carcinoma," prepare to avert your eyes from the "massive ulcerating" kind. I wonder how quickly they get to that state.
Mine looked like a zit on a 16 year old.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I wonder how quickly they get to that state.
Takes a long time. That's why Hemingway (he absorbed a lot of sun)
called it the "benevolent skin cancer". In any case, it ain't pretty
(voice of experience).

JG
Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Welllllllllllll went to the dermatologist the other day for a follow up visit from a couple of years ago. The doc froze off a couple of spots and that was about it. I casually mentioned I had a pimple looking thing on my arm that had been there forever. So he did a biopsy and sure enough, a basal skin cancer. Fortunately the most curable kind of skin cancer but this just goes to show, you better inspect yourself good. Skin cancers are not always that obvious.

Will have it removed in a couple of weeks. Just glad it wasn't a melonoma. A friend of mind went through hell with that.(doing fine however)

http://www.umm.edu/skincancer/basal.htm
Check out some photos of John McCain after his melanoma surgery
if you want the hell scared out of you.

JG
Old 10-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I have had 4 basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and 2 melanoma in situ surgically removed during the last 6 months as well as numerous Actinic Keratosis (AK) that I had frozen off with liquid nitrogen. The result of many years of outdoor living. Now that it is all behind me, I can say that it was really no big deal, however that was not how I saw it 6 months ago, I can assure you.

It is all a matter of coming to grips with that fact that you can no longer go out into the sun without sunscreen, long sleeves, a broad brim hat etc. Once you adjust to these simple rules and see your dermatoligist every 3 months or so, life is lovley.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I have had 4 basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and 2 melanoma in situ surgically removed during the last 6 months as well as numerous Actinic Keratosis (AK) that I had frozen off with liquid nitrogen. The result of many years of outdoor living. Now that it is all behind me, I can say that it was really no big deal, however that was not how I saw it 6 months ago, I can assure you.

It is all a matter of coming to grips with that fact that you can no longer go out into the sun without sunscreen, long sleeves, a broad brim hat etc. Once you adjust to these simple rules and see your dermatoligist every 3 months or so, life is lovley.
Jeez, your story is very similar to mine, except I am not quite as
faithful with the sunscreen, hat, etc. I think a nice tan looks great,
but there is no doubt it can kill you. OTOH, something will
eventually.

JG
Old 10-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
except I am not quite as
faithful with the sunscreen, hat, etc.
...then you're sure to get it again JG.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 10-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
...then you're sure to get it again JG.
Yep! However, even if I was super careful I expect this would still be true.
Living is a terminal condition.

JG
Old 10-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Check out some photos of John McCain after his melanoma surgery
if you want the hell scared out of you.

JG
What I was referring to was the Interferon treatments he took for a year. His weight dropped from 190 to 148. He felt like he had the flu all the time. All his joints hurt. Just never felt good during that one year period.

mickeyd, did you take any interferon for your melanoma?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I won't post my gross photo again but I will second the caution to use sunscreen. More important for us old timers is to make sure our children and grand children use sunscreen so they can avoid the damage many of us did in our childhood. The treatments ain't pretty.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
mickeyd, did you take any interferon for your melanoma?
No, once they carved me up and ran the tissue margins thru the lab for their ok, I was healed.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #14

When I had my basal cell cooked off the doctor said I had a 99% chance of getting more, because the damage was done over many years. The way I look at it even if I cover up, put on sunscreen and all that stuff, I'm still likely to get another one so why worry. Mine looked kind of cool since it was cooked off it was all black and looked like either a cigar burn or a exit wound from a .22.

I had mine for about 6 years before I had someone look at it. Come to find out it can kill you if you get it on your neck. I guess it grows into the artery in your neck causing a hemorrhage. The wife still hasn't let me live it down that I should have gone in when in the military, than I'd be getting more disability.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
make sure our children and grand children use sunscreen so they can avoid the damage
This reminds me of a comment that my dermatologist made to me while I was receiving treatment. She evidently has a pool in the back yard and her two kids are avid swimmers. She said that before her kids go outside to use the pool she slathers so much sunscreen on them that they look like ghosts.

It left me with a vivid picture.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #16

One more story and then I must take off (but, like MacArthur "I shall return").

I saw a photo of an older guy who worked as an Australian lifeguard
in his youth. They put a colored "sticky dot" (you know like the 3M
"post it" notes) everywhere he had a skin cancer removed. I am not
sure, but I seem to recall there were 78 "dots". Anyway, he was a pretty
old guy. Doesn't matter which kind you have. Catch it early. Hey, one of the guys I knew personally who was killed by melanoma ignored his
wife when she said "You better get that checked out!" I go in every 6 months, more often if something "funny looking" pops up.

JG
Old 10-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, once they carved me up and ran the tissue margins thru the lab for their ok, I was healed.
Your fortunate. The cancer doc my buddy used seems to always recommend taking the stuff as an insurance policy. 'Alway' may be a stretch but that is the reputation the guy has. Maybe Rich can tell us what is the norm for treating melanoma.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey DOG,
Just had a basal cell cancer removed from my nose. Had the MOHS surgery by a dermatologist to cut the cancer out and then went to a plastic surgeon who made made a flap from surrounding skin to cover over the hole. I have a bump now, but it should look okay in a few months (I hope).
paradiseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseken
Hey DOG,
Just had a basal cell cancer removed from my nose. Had the MOHS surgery by a dermatologist to cut the cancer out and then went to a plastic surgeon who made made a flap from surrounding skin to cover over the hole. I have a bump now, but it should look okay in a few months (I hope).
That is a tough spot. One of my golfing buddies had the same thing done. He's just as ugly as before. Seriously, good luck with it all!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #20

I had the mohs surgery on my nose as well. Had some trouble with the skin graft taking. Hope yours goes well.