Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Teams that have won that opening road game are 8-0 in the first playoff series.

Stros giving a Royal beatdown!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Teams that have won that opening road game are 8-0 in the first playoff series.

Stros giving a Royal beatdown!
Rangers and Astros both won those opening road games without their best starter while their opponents did use their best starter. Odds go thru the roof in that scenario for Rangers and Astros to win, especially a short 5 game series.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Rangers and Astros both won those opening road games without their best starter while their opponents did use their best starter. Odds go thru the roof in that scenario for Rangers and Astros to win, especially a short 5 game series.
could we have an I-45 ALCS?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
could we have an I-45 ALCS?
We could call it the Ryan Express. The team Nolan Ryan built and then left when he was done, against the team that he is currently building.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #245
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Youngest son moved to Chicago for his first real job this summer. Being m/l a St. Louis boy, he can't get over the fact that not everyone on this morning's train is dressed in red and rooting for the right team!

(But, have to admit that I'll be hoping for the Cubs to run table if they get past this series. Until then, "Go, evil empire!")
DS has many friends whose Cubs roots are way deep (he was pretty much a first generation Cubs fan as DH grew up in Cardinal country and I am not from Chicago so no longtime affinity there) and it was soooo much fun when they were little, hanging out here and discussing changes in percentages for each player--it should have been a math project. If Cubs keep going I know these men with little boys inside them will lose their minds, like everyone else .

DH doesn't really like sports, so although he follows the Cubs, it's not to the point where we know a lot of comparative statistics unlike those little boys, so we just enjoy a very casual fun back and forth rivalry with our many Cards friends and family--by rivalry I mean we are often marvelling in late September about how the two teams started out equally crappy and only the Cards are still in the hunt. I can't imagine STL is too nervous about the next few games . But....

Go Cubs.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
.... I can't imagine STL is too nervous about the next few games . But....

Go Cubs.
Actually, I suspect the fans are properly nervous. Cubs are on fire and, at least by W/L record, they are the toughest team that the Cards will face in the playoffs. (I live in Nashville now, so don't have any firsthand knowledge of what the vibe is in STL--but the fans would be nuts to overlook the Cubbies this year.)
Old 10-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

It IS big.

Oops! I crapped my pants!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Not making a prediction, but the path to the World Series passes through St. Louis!
Personally, I would prefer the Cardinals to face Chicago. The games are always fun. The fans are mutually cordial, and if the Cards happen to lose, I would rather support the Cubbies than Pittsburgh.

Go Cards!!
Since the movie 'back to the future' says the cubs win the series this year, that's enough for me.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

I think in a 5 game series, in some ways there's more pressure on the team with home field advantage. If you don't win the first 2 games, there is no guarantee you will have another home game before elimination.
Baseball 2015
Old 10-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #250

Baseball 2015

Well this game could have started better, IMHO. I have to admit the Astros are earning it though.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Yes, it looks real bad for Toronto.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #252
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup. Uphill battle for sure for the Jays.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #253

I wore a Ranger shirt yesterday and they won so I wore it again today. They won again. I'm wearing it again on Sunday and I'm not washing it until they lose.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #254

Go Rangers. They "should" beat Toronto now, but . . . they could choke, too. DFW is really football country, however we can back a winner. I have nothing particular against Toronto, just rooting for the Rangers. Hope Betltre can play from now on.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Despite the home plate umpire needing glasses (wide strike zone), Lackey just out pitched Lester in Cards/Cubs game 1.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

That was a good game in StL, no complaints from me.

I took the Sling leap too, it worked well but acted flaky just before the TBS broadcast started (an unneeded "uh-oh!" moment).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

I took the Sling leap too, it worked well but acted flaky just before the TBS broadcast started (an unneeded "uh-oh!" moment).
I was able to watch the game via Sling and syncing to my radio with my radio gadget. The broadcast and radio is way off (radio about 45 seconds faster), but with the gadget I was able to get the syncing going okay.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

Disappointing result for us Cubs fans, but they played a good game. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I was able to watch the game via Sling and syncing to my radio with my radio gadget. The broadcast and radio is way off (radio about 45 seconds faster), but with the gadget I was able to get the syncing going okay.
I've had trouble finding radio stations that cover the games. Some of them listed on the internet weren't broadcasting the game, just their regular programming. How do I find a way to tune in (preferably over the internet)?

I don't watch/listen during the regular season, once in a while if they are OTA, so I don't have a 'system' down.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Disappointing result for us Cubs fans, but they played a good game. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I've had trouble finding radio stations that cover the games. Some of them listed on the internet weren't broadcasting the game, just their regular programming. How do I find a way to tune in (preferably over the internet)?

I don't watch/listen during the regular season, once in a while if they are OTA, so I don't have a 'system' down.

-ERD50
I think game #2 is do or die for the Cubs. If they go down 0-2, I'd say that's too big a hole to dig out from and wait til next year. Teams have come back in the past, but difficult.

As for listening to games on the internet, I think there are restrictions played by MLB to disallow internet broadcasts. Of if you don't have a local OTA radio broadcast, you may be out of luck. Unlike football, where I've listened to games over the internet.

If I had to choose either only TV or radio broadcast, I'd choose radio as the play by play is just so much more interesting.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
As for listening to games on the internet, I think there are restrictions played by MLB to disallow internet broadcasts. Of if you don't have a local OTA radio broadcast, you may be out of luck. ...
Thanks, I'll have to play with some of my AM radios (most likely places to find sports here, I think). It's a little tough to get good AM reception in the house for some reason, my car radio seems to do better.

Now I can just see me out in the driveway, car radio on, and MLB 'gameday' on the laptop. I've used 'gameday' the last two games, it gives the play by play stats and some animation at no charge. Along with radio, that's not too bad for a casual and very occasional sports watcher like me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote