Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought most of the games were on ESPN radio

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks, I'll have to play with some of my AM radios (most likely places to find sports here, I think). It's a little tough to get good AM reception in the house for some reason, my car radio seems to do better.

Now I can just see me out in the driveway, car radio on, and MLB 'gameday' on the laptop. I've used 'gameday' the last two games, it gives the play by play stats and some animation at no charge. Along with radio, that's not too bad for a casual and very occasional sports watcher like me.

-ERD50
When I was a kid, my brother and I would use something that went by the brand Select-A-ntenna which helped boost stations reception. This was great for listening to far away ball games. We chipped in to buy the antenna for about $18 which for us then was a lot. Eventually, I let him keep that one and bought another for myself. The type of antenna is a loop antenna...

Review Select-A-Tenna vs. Terk AM Advantage - RadioIntel.com

Didn't mean to digress from the thread topic (Baseball 2015). But trying to pick up a game on OTA radio brings back memories when there were no such things as sports packages or streamed broadcasts.

Back on topic, now I'm already thinking, if the Cubs lose game 2 maybe they still have a chance if they pitch Arrietta more than once (start and relief appearances) with 3 games left.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I thought most of the games were on ESPN radio
I haven't listened to ESPN radio for the games. But would the announcers be the home team announcers? I'd think probably not?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #264
Give me a forum ...

I'm actually going to miss the Cubs/Cards game #2 this afternoon. Got a grade school reunion to go to. Hopefully I'll catch the end at the restaurant.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Back on topic, now I'm already thinking, if the Cubs lose game 2 maybe they still have a chance if they pitch Arrietta more than once (start and relief appearances) with 3 games left.
It ain't over till it's over!

What kind of odds are the betting sites giving? Clearly, the Cards are going to be very tough to beat, but I wonder what the money is saying about it (or do people bet based on loyalty?).

-ERD50
Old 10-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It ain't over till it's over!

What kind of odds are the betting sites giving? Clearly, the Cards are going to be very tough to beat, but I wonder what the money is saying about it (or do people bet based on loyalty?).

-ERD50
Game two is a critical game for both teams. I suppose every game is critical.

I think game one exposed the major weakness of the Cubs. That is, their relief pitching. Maddon left Lester (who only has a few hits all season) to bat with the tying run in scoring position. If the Cubs had a decent bullpen, the no-brainer would've been to pinch hit. Pedro Strop saves his worse games for the Cards .
Baseball 2015
Old 10-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #267

Baseball 2015

Another good one tonight!

It's comforting to see that "small ball" still wins games at Busch. Even if the Cards aren't the ones playing it.

Sling dropped the first two outs of the top of the 8th here. AtBat app to the rescue!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #268

Fly the W!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Another good one tonight! ...
Indeed! I had run out to take care of some family business, but along the way, someone said "2nd inning, Cubs are losing". I'm figuring, OK, the Cardinals are an awesome team, this is just how it is going to go.

By the time I got home, Cubs had scored 6 runs! Then I watched (mlb gameday - the 'animated' live updates), and listened (ESPN AM 1000 in Chicago OTA - thanks to tips in this forum - the combo of animation and radio was pretty good), as Cards scored more points, and remembered how quickly a game can turn. Was thrilled with that last out to clinch it.

Had to give my son-in-law a ribbing - he drove down to St Louis for the game on Friday (he has friends that are STL fans, so they had tickets to share), but he couldn't make today's game. But he has tickets for the Monday game at Wrigley. So I told him, hmmmm, Cubs lose when you are there, if they are down on Monday, you need to leave the stadium!

It's been fun.

-ERD50
Old 10-11-2015, 01:50 AM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Didn't watch the game as was at my grade school reunion. Listened to the first inning and thought "Uh oh, leave off homer by Cards". Got got back and saw the highlights online. The small ball was a thing of beauty (my Cubs fan bias of course).

What a difference a game makes. Now the Cards gotta figure out how to beat Arrieta to not go down 2-1.
Baseball 2015
Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #271

Baseball 2015

There's an article I saw this morning that brought a memory and smile to my face. It was a reference to Don Zimmer by Maddon, discussing "small ball". Popeye!

Maddon said, "I mean, this is all Don Zimmer stuff out here. This is all Zim". Whoosh - back to the 80s.

I'd post a pointer to the article if I knew how to do that from within the AtBat app on my iTouch.

We'll see what happens next of course, 5pm tonight, Central Wrigley Time.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #272

"Back to the Future ll" said the Cubs would win in 2015. 'Back to the Future' writer says 2015 Cubs prediction no longer a joke - DailyHerald.com
Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If they could clone Arrieta two or three times, I'd actually believe the Cubbies could do it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #274

Stros should close out KC in a few hours
Old 10-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #275
Recycles dryer sheets

Hoping you're wrong (at least today) Big_Hitter but with the way the Royals have been playing I'm officially nervous. The good news is I got the dog walked early and I can relax and watch the games. One of ER's many benefits.

Whoever makes it, we can only hope for excitement like last year.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Stros should close out KC in a few hours
Well, I hope you are right. I'll also be rooting for the Rangers later today too. HOWEVER, being a Houston native and following the Astro's since they were the Colt 45's (and the minor league Buff's before that) I've been disappointed many times before.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #277

Not sure who I'll be rooting for if both the Astro's and Rangers meet in the next round.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Well, I hope you are right. I'll also be rooting for the Rangers later today too. HOWEVER, being a Houston native and following the Astro's since they were the Colt 45's (and the minor league Buff's before that) I've been disappointed many times before.
we moved to Houston (Alief) in 73 so I've been a fan for over 40 years and yes, several disappointments

nothing was worse than the 86 NLCS....nothing

Dickie Thon getting beaned was close though
Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #279
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Despite the home plate umpire needing glasses (wide strike zone), Lackey just out pitched Lester in Cards/Cubs game 1.
Some of those "wide" pitches were in the next zip code.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #280

Quote:
Despite the home plate umpire needing glasses (wide strike zone), Lackey just out pitched Lester in Cards/Cubs game 1.
Apparently others agree with you: "To measure an umpire’s accuracy, I built a model of the strike zone that takes into account not only the physical coordinates of the pitch, but also the count and the framing ability of the catcher, factors that are important determinants of the zone’s dimensions. ""
Playoff Umps Are Screwing Up A Tenth Of Balls And Strikes | FiveThirtyEight