Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like the Cubs' chance against the Mets. The Cubs were 7-0 during the regular season, but toss that out as the playoffs is a brand new season. What better road to the world series (knock on wood) than payback for 1969. Plus, the 2-3-2 playoff format I think kinda favors the road team. Home team has to win first 2 or there's no guarantee of playing another game at the home field.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #342
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mets are different team than when the Cubs played them. Some guys back from injuries and Cespedes.

We will see if pitching trumps hitting. What is a Met anyway? Go Cubs.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #343
Give me a forum ...

I a seven game series, there's more flexibility to tinker with the pitching. Figure to have at least two starts for the aces. Both the Mets, Cubs are similar as the first half, they were just a maybe for the playoffs, then put a charge after the all star break.

Yes, Cespedes is one of those sluggers that scares you when he's at bat. But the Cubs have some thumpers of their own. Should be a great series.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #344
Give me a forum ...

It's do or die time for the Cubs in game 2. If they go down 0-2, I don't see them winning the next 4 out of 5, despite having 3 in Wrigley. If they win game 2, then I like their chances.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #345
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, it's game one. The Cubs lost that to the Cards, too.

Sure looked cold! But I thought it was cool to see a home run bonk the Big Apple in center! And those were great defensive snags by the Cubs, back to back.

Sling did not disappoint here at all, thankfully.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #346
Give me a forum ...

Game 1. Plays at the plate. The Mets threw out the runner and the Cubs did not. Plus, the dropped ball by Bryant exchanging the ball to try for a double play. The next batter drove in a run. Those were the key plays of the game. Plus, Harvey out pitched Lester. I think the Cubs pressed a bit swinging for the fences. No sling problems here either.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #347
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Royals lucky owing to a Jays error in fielding, turned the game around for them.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #348

Seems David Price can't catch a break as a starter in the post-season. At least the Jays didn't lose the first two at home this time but it will still be a long road back.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #349

I did notice earlier this week that there's a delay in the Sling feed which is apparent if you have another more timely source (in my case, the MLB app).

My iTouch sends a notification with sound when there's a score change. I'd had them both on and was in another room with the Touch and it made that sound. Huh? I went back to the TV/Sling and sure enough - Schwarber had done his thing. Last night I kept the Touch under wraps so I wouldn't get that time-traveler effect which defeats the surprise.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #350
Give me a forum ...

For me, the Sling feed is almost a minute faster than live radio. Luckily, I have a delay gadget (for my radio to keep the Sling feed and radio broadcast in sync. Getting spoiled listening to the radio play by play, the slow description of the network TV announcers is torturous.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #351

This Cubs fan wanted to play the Dodgers in the NLCS because the Mets' starting rotation is deep and they're (marginally) better offensively. The Cubs' advantage in this series is that 1-8 (or 1-7 and 9) offensively they are dangerous unless Ross is catching. The Mets are really only going to hurt you 1-4, though the 5 spot catcher hit a bomb last night. Their bottom order guys might get on base, but only 1-4 are really going to drive them in.

Meanwhile, the Mets can run three guys out there who are better than the Cubs #2, and only if Arrieta is really on is he better than their top three. The Arrieta that pitched game 3 against STL isn't better than their guys.

I think the Cubs are going to struggle to score runs this series as they did in most of the games against the Mets that they won in the regular season. The difference is where the Mets were putting up 0s and 1s when they played the Cubs early in the year, they're putting up 3s and 4s now.

Thus, I would predict a Mets series win, and I'm not sure it'll get to seven games. In the post season, pitching and defense usually win out, and I think pitching is strongly in the Mets' favor.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #352
Give me a forum ...

Was a bad sign in game #1 seeing 3 starting players in the Cubs in ski masks and not able to handle the cold. . If the Cubs win game two with Arrieta, I can easily see them winning 2 out of 3 at Wrigley. Then be up 3-2 with 2 game left in NY. If they lose game #2, to win the next 4 out of 5 is a tall task.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #353

Who knows? By virtue of not having to go through a full 5-game NLDS, the Cubs had a slightly longer layoff than the Mets. Although once you get to be at that level of athlete, it probably wouldn't matter that much.

Game 2 will be especially interesting!

Old 10-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #354
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with you completely kcowan. The miscommunication by the Jays was bizarre. That gave the Royals a tiny opening and they certainly took advantage of it.

Seems like there ought to be a black swan metaphor in there somewhere.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:20 AM   #355

You have to be feeling pretty good today if you're a fan of one of the teams with the home field advantage.

Me? I have a doctor's appointment this morning (true).

"Well, Doc, it's like this..."

Old 10-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #356

Another Cubs loss and that is it for me this season. Enough said!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #357
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
This Cubs fan wanted to play the Dodgers in the NLCS because the Mets' starting rotation is deep and they're (marginally) better offensively. The Cubs' advantage in this series is that 1-8 (or 1-7 and 9) offensively they are dangerous unless Ross is catching. The Mets are really only going to hurt you 1-4, though the 5 spot catcher hit a bomb last night. Their bottom order guys might get on base, but only 1-4 are really going to drive them in.

Meanwhile, the Mets can run three guys out there who are better than the Cubs #2, and only if Arrieta is really on is he better than their top three. The Arrieta that pitched game 3 against STL isn't better than their guys.

I think the Cubs are going to struggle to score runs this series as they did in most of the games against the Mets that they won in the regular season. The difference is where the Mets were putting up 0s and 1s when they played the Cubs early in the year, they're putting up 3s and 4s now.

Thus, I would predict a Mets series win, and I'm not sure it'll get to seven games. In the post season, pitching and defense usually win out, and I think pitching is strongly in the Mets' favor.
You are right on (at least for the first 2 games already played) about the series. I mistakenly thought the Cubs would match up better with the Mets than the two headed monsters of the Dodgers. Be careful what you wish for.

Now for a decent chance the Cubs have to sweep at Wrigley (they did win 3 in a row against the Cards, one in St. Louis, then 2 in Chicago). At the very least win 2 out of 3 to push the series back to New York to not have the Mets clinch advancing to the world series at Wrigley .

How many days until pre-season starts?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
You are right on (at least for the first 2 games already played) about the series. I mistakenly thought the Cubs would match up better with the Mets than the two headed monsters of the Dodgers. Be careful what you wish for.

Now for a decent chance the Cubs have to sweep at Wrigley (they did win 3 in a row against the Cards, one in St. Louis, then 2 in Chicago). At the very least win 2 out of 3 to push the series back to New York to not have the Mets clinch advancing to the world series at Wrigley .

How many days until pre-season starts?

Just remember they're a year ahead and didn't make a single move at the deadline to try to win now. They're a flawed team in a lot of ways that's outperformed expectations. Enjoy the ride wherever it goes this year; the future is bright!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #359
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just remember they're a year ahead and didn't make a single move at the deadline to try to win now. They're a flawed team in a lot of ways that's outperformed expectations. Enjoy the ride wherever it goes this year; the future is bright!
Yeah. Looking back at the Cubs this season, just making the playoffs this year would have been a huge accomplishment as this was the first year in a long time the organization decided to "compete". (The overachieving reminds me a lot of the 1984 Cubs).

Yet, at the same time, the more things change the more things stay the same. The Cubbies finally got past the Cards (at least this year), but looks like will fall to the Amazing Mets... again .
Old 10-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #360
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep! Had they lost the game to the Pirates, we'd all we saying what a good year they had, that they're right on schedule and would be looking forward to a bright future for them. But now that they're in the NLCS, the slim hope that they could "get lucky," "catch some breaks," etc., drives us to hope for a miracle.

They've been a ball to follow this year and losing this series, if they do, isn't going to be a bummer for me.

I've been listening to Steve Goodman's "A dying Cub fan's last request" almost daily!