Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Ok, I need to chime in. The Cardinals will win games, then falter, then win more and sneak into the playoffs AGAIN!!
Once in the playoff's anything can happen!
Life as a Card's fan is much more fun than a Cub's fan. But Wrigley is a neat place to watch a ballgame. And, having grown up as a Red Sox fan, the Cub's and Card's have a friendly rivalry, not like the Sox and Yankees. I cannot imagine wearing a Sox tee shirt to a Yankees game. But fans in both St Louis and Chicago have no problem!
Go Cards!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Actually.... The Cards will start out tied with the Cubs in last place. The Cubs will stay in last place while the Cards go on to win the whole shooting match.

If the Cubs ever win the World Series, imagine the insane chaos that will erupt here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
[..] Cub's and Card's have a friendly rivalry, not like the Sox and Yankees. I cannot imagine wearing a Sox tee shirt to a Yankees game. But fans in both St Louis and Chicago have no problem!
Go Cards!!!
A photo exists of me standing in front of the Stan The Man statue at Busch, wearing a new Cardinal cap and a big smile.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Also a Cards fan. I think our year depends on Wacha and Wainwright both being near 100%. In past years we could struggle for a while and still make the playoffs, but I think our division is going to be much tougher this year.

Win or lose, I'm thrilled the season is almost here! I will be in Jupiter in a few weeks for a game!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LET'S GO METS

I just got an email that our MLB.tv subscription auto-renewed at $129.99.
Mr B is a Red Sox fan. We don't get to watch the Red Sox on our TW cable service unless they play the Yankees. I watch with him but not as closely.

I can't use my PS2 anymore to view the games, so I have to connect my Acer laptop to the TV via the HDMI port.
No biggie, but it means I have to go back to my ancient Dell Inspiron B130 laptop so I can still surf the net while the game is on. Handcrank material !
Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis2 View Post
Also a Cards fan. I think our year depends on Wacha and Wainwright both being near 100%. In past years we could struggle for a while and still make the playoffs, but I think our division is going to be much tougher this year.

Win or lose, I'm thrilled the season is almost here! I will be in Jupiter in a few weeks for a game!
I agree the pitchers will be the big question mark, however, it seems the Card's always manage!
Enjoy Jupiter! We went down two years ago and had a great time. We saw 3 games, but most remember the Card's v Mets at the Mets stadium. Neat and new stadium! And over half of the fans had Card's shirts or hats!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #26

Glad to see the rules change. Keeping the batter in the box is the key to speeding up play. Watch some old games, pre-1970s, and you'll see batters rarely stepped out between pitches. In recent years some do between every pitch.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
A photo exists of me standing in front of the Stan The Man statue at Busch, wearing a new Cardinal cap and a big smile.

Of course, the other team that day was not Chicago, otherwise I'd have worn the blue. But for that day, I was in the stands rooting for the Cardiac Cards!

That's what the rivalry is like.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

No matter how the Dodgers play this year we are truly blessed with another year of Vin Scully calling the games. I am pretty excited about the dog fight that should be taking place in the NL West, San Diego has made some great acquisitions and of course there is that other team to the north.....
Old 02-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Big Nats fan, heading down to spring training next month to catch a few games. Hope this is the year it all comes together!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #30

I'm relatively new to Amazon Prime and was happy to discover they offer the Ken Burns documentary series Baseball free to members.

There's a high probability I will catch a few innings before Opening Day

Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
This is the Cubs' year.
Steve Goodman had a few things to say/sing about the Cubbies. Nobody could tell a story like Steve. He was the consumate Cubs fan, and died far too young! This is a classic, so if you have 6 minutes to spare, watch and listen!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #32

Baseball 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Baseball...America's impatient pastime

What's next, getting rid of extra innings and just cal the game a tie?

I'm not wild about this. I have friends from southern IL who like to sit around in their garages, door open, with the radio on and a lot of beer on summer days. Baseball announcers yakking on and no big deal to get up and mow the lawn a little, then back to the frosty beverages. No one really cared how long the game took. You aren't glued to the TV.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I'm not wild about this. I have friends from southern IL who like to sit around in their garages, door open, with the radio on and a lot of beer on summer days. Baseball announcers yakking on and no big deal to get up and mow the lawn a little, then back to the frosty beverages. No one really cared how long the game took. You aren't glued to the TV.
+100

Baseball was meant to be played without a stopwatch.

How does the old song from Alabama go?

"I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until baseball's life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why."

Old 02-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

At least the changes aren't too drastic.

Quote:
Following an offseason in which concerns about ever-growing game times emerged as hot-button issues, Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association announced new policies aimed at reducing game times by shortening the breaks between innings, the time required for instant replay, and the quirk-filled out-of-the-batter’s-box moments between pitches. Violations will earn warnings and fines, in the case of “flagrant violations,” according to a press release
MLB announces changes to speed up games | News OK

IMO, part of the fun is watching a 6 hour game deep in extra innings.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

At least they didn't outlaw scratching your, er, uh, adjusting your cup...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Baseball 2015
Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #36

Baseball 2015

I just enabled game notifications for my "favorite teams" on my iTouch for the MLB AtBat app. I use the free (Lite) version.

I only enabled "end of game" notifications for final scores.

This'll be great, I'll be up-to-date. When anyone asks me, "How have your Cubbies been treating you lately?", I can quote Norm from Cheers:

"Like a baby treats a diaper"

Here we go!

Old 03-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #37

I referred to the Red Sox in another thread today and remembered this one, which I hope warms up with the weather.

Having Chicago/NL and Boston/AL as your favorite teams was not for the faint of heart for a long time.

I was sick in a hotel room in Europe and heard a BBC announcer say something like, "The hapless Chicago Cubs have once more failed". He went on to describe the infamous Bartman incident in the playoffs.

I was in a NOLA bar, watching the NYY demolish Boston and getting one win away. Then I drove to Baton Rouge and the Red Sox never lost another game that season.

You lose some, you lose another, you lose some more, and more... but then (maybe) you win!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #38

I am proposing a new way of measuring peoples' age.

You know how we speak of "dog years"? Age could be measured in "Cub years": the number of years since their last Series appearance.

It'd be great for early retirees. You could be sitting around on the porch with your corn cob pipes and have conversations like (borrowing a joke from Norm Macdonald):

"How old are you?"
"One."
"Wow! No kidding! You don't look a day over zero."

Old 03-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #39

The Ranger broke MLB records last year for most players used in a season and most pitchers used in a season. All due to unbelievable amount of injuries. So 2015 starts with renewed optimism....and then Yu Darvish pitches one inning and is out for the year. Seriously?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
The Ranger broke MLB records last year for most players used in a season and most pitchers used in a season. All due to unbelievable amount of injuries. So 2015 starts with renewed optimism....and then Yu Darvish pitches one inning and is out for the year. Seriously?

Yeah, and why is Tommy John getting another operation? :-P

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote