Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Roughned Odor (Rangers 2nd baseman) was so bad at the beginning of the season that he was sent down to the minors after hitting .136 in 29 games. Whatever he changed in the minors worked because since coming back to the majors, hes played 58 games and hes hitting .336 with 10 HRs and 34 RBI. That's a full season pace of .336, 27 HRs, 94 RBI. That's close to an MVP season. What a turn around!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Holy Cow! Another day, another no-hitter. Number 6 and counting this year in baseball? Arrieta's got game.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jake Arrieta of the Chicago Cubs tossed a no-hitter against the Los Angeles Dodgers Sunday, striking out 12 and walking just one in a 2-0 win.
Cubs' Jake Arrieta throws no-hitter against Dodgers

Old 09-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Rangers finally got healthy and their starting rotation is one of the strongest in baseball. Cole Hamels, Derek Holland, Martin Perez, Colby Lewis and Yovanni Gallardo. Already climbed up into the 2nd wild card spot by going 18-9 in August. Next stop...over taking the Astros for the division lead.
Well, that didn't take long...

The Disastros just got swept 4-0 by the Rangers to wrap up a 2-8 road trip, putting Texas up 2-1/2 games in the division lead.

[Sigh...]
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Well, that didn't take long...

The Disastros just got swept 4-0 by the Rangers to wrap up a 2-8 road trip, putting Texas up 2-1/2 games in the division lead.

[Sigh...]
They (Astros) stayed in 1st place this season a lot longer than I thought they would (or could)
Old 09-18-2015, 12:48 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
They (Astros) stayed in 1st place this season a lot longer than I thought they would (or could)
RIP Milo Hamilton. Former voice of the Astros.

He made the famous call of Henry Aaron's home run #715.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #146

It cracks me up that everyone is so shocked by the Rangers' resurgence (mainly talking about the so called baseball experts). This was a team that went to the WS twice very recently. They absolutely stunk last season but for one reason only. They broke the all time record for most players on the disabled list, most different players used during a season and most pitchers used during a season. That means they had a team full of minor leaguers playing all season.

When they got just about everyone back from injury, they started playing great again. Even better that out of that bunch of young guys that played so much last year, they found one or two good ones that were able to stick with the major league team that otherwise we would've never known could hang with the big boys. Mainly Odor who is playing at an All Star level right now.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I agree with that. I knew they would collapse at some point, but it did take a lot longer than I thought. They look just like the Rangers did about 6 years ago when Kinsler, Hamilton and Andrus were young and trying to figure it all out. They will be scary good 2 years from now.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #148

Quote:
I agree with that. I knew they would collapse at some point, but it did take a lot longer than I thought. They look just like the Rangers did about 6 years ago when Kinsler, Hamilton and Andrus were young and trying to figure it all out. They will be scary good 2 years from now.
They have Nolan Ryan on their side so this comes as no surprise.

Baseball is a game of momentum and believing in yourself, so hope to see the Rangers clinch, but there is still a lot of baseball left.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
They have Nolan Ryan on their side so this comes as no surprise.

Baseball is a game of momentum and believing in yourself, so hope to see the Rangers clinch, but there is still a lot of baseball left.
Yes, and who was the GM for the Rangers during their resurgence? The same Nolan Ryan.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #150

How 'bout them Cubbies?

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
How 'bout them Cubbies?

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum
Anything goes. But I like their chances in the 1 game playoff.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #152

Astros are choking
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #153

It is so typical for a major league team from Houston.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #154

Blue Jays really on a streak. Hottest team in Baseball since Aug 1. They are 35 games over 500 since July 29
Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Astros are choking
Well they won yesterday. Now I am afraid the Rangers will choke.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Blue Jays really on a streak. Hottest team in Baseball since Aug 1. They are 35 games over 500 since July 29
Blue Jays have won 44 games since the All-Star break.
Rangers have won 42 games.

Both the Blue Jays and Rangers have won 16 games in Sept.
Texas leads Toronto by 1 run scored in Sept.
Texas has a team ERA of 3.60 in Sept
Toronto' s team ERA is 3.89 in Sept.

If Toronto doesn't end the season with a better record than KC (they are tied right now), then Toronto and Texas play in the first round (assuming Rangers hold off the Astros). So I will be rooting for Toronto for the next week and a half.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #157

Quote:
Well they won yesterday. Now I am afraid the Rangers will choke.
2 1/2 game lead with one week to go would take a massive choke, especially considering 3 of our games are against Detroit who is the second worst team in the AL and the absolute worst post All -Star game.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #158

Quote:
2 1/2 game lead with one week to go would take a massive choke, especially considering 3 of our games are against Detroit who is the second worst team in the AL and the absolute worst post All -Star game.
Yes, I know that, but I also thought the Rangers were going to win the world series a few years ago.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #159
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yes, I know that, but I also thought the Rangers were going to win the world series a few years ago.
Please.....too soon!
Old 09-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #160

Quote:
One strike away from winning it....twice. It still stings.

Rangers last 7 games are at home. Astros last 6 games are on the road where they are 29-46. I feel pretty good.