Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just hope we get a card
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #162
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post

Rangers last 7 games are at home. Astros last 6 games are on the road where they are 29-46. I feel pretty good.
I was nervous about facing Verlander, and that one is done, so hopefully they can take the next two against the Tigers.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still pulling for home field advantage for the Royals in the League series. With Ned Yost ensuring that the AL has home field for the big show it's fun to dream.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
Still pulling for home field advantage for the Royals in the League series. With Ned Yost ensuring that the AL has home field for the big show it's fun to dream.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.
Sorry, but Im rooting against you. KC is not paying well at all and I would much rather have the Rangers play KC than Toronto in the first round (assuming the Rangers hold off the Angels and Astros).
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:14 PM   #165

Go Jays!! Clobbering Orioles to win division over the accursed Yankees. Hope they keep winning and stay ahead of the Royals to the end. They are playing well but a new season starts next week and regular season doesn't count anymore.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #166

Quote:
Blue Jays have won 44 games since the All-Star break.
Rangers have won 42 games.

Both the Blue Jays and Rangers have won 16 games in Sept.
Texas leads Toronto by 1 run scored in Sept.
Texas has a team ERA of 3.60 in Sept
Toronto' s team ERA is 3.89 in Sept.

If Toronto doesn't end the season with a better record than KC (they are tied right now), then Toronto and Texas play in the first round (assuming Rangers hold off the Astros). So I will be rooting for Toronto for the next week and a half.
Jays clinched yesterday. Probably will finish first in league. Maybe Texas and Toronto in league final? Toronto scored 17 runs yesterday. Really only caught fire in August. On July 29 they were 51-51.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #167

Toronto has been pounding other teams with their offense all year, but their pitching was bad. They made some trades, mainly David Price, and now their pitching staff is pretty good. That's why they got so hot.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #168

Quote:
Toronto has been pounding other teams with their offense all year, but their pitching was bad. They made some trades, mainly David Price, and now their pitching staff is pretty good. That's why they got so hot.
Agree.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #169

Rangers pulled off the improbable and clinched a playoff spot last night. One more win (or a loss by Houston) and we win the division. They were 8 games back on Aug 1st.

To make it even better, it was Josh Hamilton who helped deliver the knockout punch to the Angels (who are paying about $20 million of his salary for us)
Old 10-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #170

Quote:
And they got Marcus Stroman back - 4-0 in September with ERA 1.67.

Not sure of the wisdom of not playing the starters in the last two games against Baltimore after clinching the division. Had a 2 game lead on KC and now tied although Jays hold the tie breaker. Hopefully doesn't come back to haunt them.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #171

I'm not sure a more interesting last day of the season could have been drawn up for the American League.

None of the five playoff seedings is set. After an improbable 5-run Angels 9th inning against the Rangers on Saturday, three teams in AL West are dependent on the outcome of both their Sunday game and another game to determine their post-season fate. A 163rd-game tiebreaker game for either the AL West championship or a wild-card spot is a distinct possibility.

Over in the NL, the only drama is which team will host the wild card game.

Go 'stros.

LOOK: Each playoff scenario for the last (scheduled) day of the season - CBSSports.com
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Go Rangers!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #173

Difficult to Predict World Series Champ
Old 10-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Difficult to Predict World Series Champ

Quote:
This might make you think the World Series title often goes to the team playing the best before the postseason begins — in other words, getting hot at the right time. (Video via Fox)

But even that claim isn't backed up by evidence. A 2009 analysis from Baseball Prospectus found basically no correlation between how well teams played in the run-up to the postseason, and whether or not they made it past the first round of the playoffs.
It's almost impossible to predict the World Series champ - + 38theSpot.com

Okay, so after reading this, I'm gonna say if the Cubbies can survive the 1 game wild card, hell will freeze over and they will go all the way!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Okay, so after reading this, I'm gonna say if the Cubbies can survive the 1 game wild card, hell will freeze over and they will go all the way!
Not making a prediction, but the path to the World Series passes through St. Louis!
Personally, I would prefer the Cardinals to face Chicago. The games are always fun. The fans are mutually cordial, and if the Cards happen to lose, I would rather support the Cubbies than Pittsburgh.

Go Cards!!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Not making a prediction, but the path to the World Series passes through St. Louis!
Personally, I would prefer the Cardinals to face Chicago. The games are always fun. The fans are mutually cordial, and if the Cards happen to lose, I would rather support the Cubbies than Pittsburgh.

Go Cards!!
Yeah, we Cubs fans pretty much know what will happen if the Cubs make it through Wednesday's game. Just be kind to us.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #177
Administrator

Cubs fans may find this interesting, a short write up on Jake Arrieta over at FiveThirtyEight.com Jake Arrieta Is Not Your Normal Ace | FiveThirtyEight

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

Go Cards!!
I gotta predict with my heart. Arrieta is on a roll which is what scares me most. The bigger the roll, the bigger the heartbreak.

Yeah, there's the cordial respect of the passion between Cards, Cubs fans. Unlike the hatred between Red Sox and Yankees rivalry. Not saying which type is better, but just how things are.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #179

Quote:

We should probably explain, Utrecht. Everyone in the U.S. isn't subjected to a year of Texas history in 7th grade or familiar with the options for a Texas vanity license plate. (It's a Texas thing.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_take_it

Quote:
At the minor skirmish known as the Battle of Gonzales—the first battle of the Texas Revolution against Mexico—a small group of Texans successfully resisted the Mexican forces who had orders from Col. Domingo de Ugartechea to seize their cannon. As a symbol of defiance, the Texans had fashioned a flag containing the phrase "come and take it" along with a black star and an image of the cannon which they had received four years earlier from Mexican officials.

And, yes, the Rangers did come and take it, making up an 8 game mid-August deficit and winning the AL West by two games.

See you in the AL Championship Series.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
We should probably explain, Utrecht. Everyone in the U.S. isn't subjected to a year of Texas history in 7th grade or familiar with the options for a Texas vanity license plate. (It's a Texas thing.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_take_it

And, yes, the Rangers did come and take it, making up an 8 game mid-August deficit and winning the AL West by two games.

See you in the AL Championship Series.
I thought everyone in the US knew about the slogan (since it was used in the American Revolution too) but I guess maybe it is mainly a Texas thing with the Texas battle flag. BTW, 7th grade Texas history was one of my most memorable classes in JR High school. The teacher we had (I can still remember his name) made it really interesting.

At least the Rangers are from Texas too.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote