Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
He actually improved a ton this season. A few of these guys have expanded the strike zone under the post season pressure. Even Rizzo did it but made the correction. As did Russel. Maturity...................
He added the no stride approach for some at bats. I like him batting ninth for now. If he get's on, then that makes him a table setter for Fowler and Schwarber. If not, that's okay too just have to play him for his defense.

I just hope in game 7 the team isn't caught fishing again at Kluber's breaking pitch.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #242
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a great story about Bill Murray giving a ticket to a random Cubs fan who was outside of the stadium and seeking a ticket for last night's game. She got to sit next to him during the game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...omepage%2Fcard
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Unless it rains.
The forecast does call for chance of rain. But not enough to mess up the game...hopefully .
Old 11-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Let's not kid ourselves, however, regarding the enduring legacy of this postseason... It will be the way that one of the underpinnings of modern sabermetric thought busted into the mainstream in a big way: the postseason that ace relievers, not 'closers' per se, became used more more optimally, in 'game' situations rather than merely 'save' situations."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-l...16-postseason/
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #245

Problem (for me, as a Cub fan) is Cleveland's relievers are their strength. Last night I was cautiously optimistic. Tonight I am pessimistic but hopeful.

Either way hopefully the Cubs have a 5-7 year window. that is what Theo built them for.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Problem (for me, as a Cub fan) is Cleveland's relievers are their strength. Last night I was cautiously optimistic. Tonight I am pessimistic but hopeful.
That's the concern I see, too. If Cleveland was to lose Game 6, they did it the best way they could -- losing in a blowout. That meant they didn't use their best arms in the pen and can have all of them rested for tonight.

Add to that the fact that the Cubs used Chapman last night, which puzzled me (then again, managers tend to overuse and overmanage with their pen in the WS), and I'd say Cleveland has the significant advantage if it becomes a battle of bullpens. I'm sure the Cubs could coax 1-2 innings and/or 30-40 pitches out of Jon Lester tonight since it would normally be his day to throw between starts anyway, which may help.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Either way hopefully the Cubs have a 5-7 year window. that is what Theo built them for.
I think very well could be whichever team gets the first run wins sitting on the lead. I'm hoping that Hendricks has a dominating game like in past games this season and then turns the ball over to Chapman (yes, Maddon using him so much last night was puzzling) and surely hope the Cubs don't fall behind and have to climb out of facing the Indians' pitching, especially Miller.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think very well could be whichever team gets the first run wins sitting on the lead. I'm hoping that Hendricks has a dominating game like in past games this season and then turns the ball over to Chapman (yes, Maddon using him so much last night was puzzling) and surely hope the Cubs don't fall behind and have to climb out of facing the Indians' pitching, especially Miller.
The problem is, this is the World Series. No matter how well they are pitching, in the modern era, how often do you see a starter go more than 6? Even if they have only thrown 80-90 pitches, as soon as they give up one hit or walk that deep in the game..... gone.

That said, if Maddon has less trust in his other relievers he could try to use Hendricks long enough to get straight to Chapman, but after Chapman threw last night, I doubt he'd could go more than 20-30 pitches.

If they fall behind early and it gets to Miller time, that's pretty much doomed the Cubs in the past, but we'll see.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The problem is, this is the World Series. No matter how well they are pitching, in the modern era, how often do you see a starter go more than 6? Even if they have only thrown 80-90 pitches, as soon as they give up one hit or walk that deep in the game..... gone.

That said, if Maddon has less trust in his other relievers he could try to use Hendricks long enough to get straight to Chapman, but after Chapman threw last night, I doubt he'd could go more than 20-30 pitches.

If they fall behind early and it gets to Miller time, that's pretty much doomed the Cubs in the past, but we'll see.
Probably last pitcher going a long long time in World Series was Madison Bumgarner. Well, actually, the pitcher for the Mets last year. I would have left him in too, but he ended getting hit in the 9th. But like you said, give up one hit in later innings then here comes the hook. I hope Maddon didn't over manage and using Chapman too much and depending on using starters like Lester and Lackey as relievers instead.

Hoping somehow the Cubs can take an early lead like game 6 then make the pitching matchups thing non issue.

Of course, the game will probably be a pitchers dual and heat break city for one team. Just a hunch .
Old 11-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #250
Moderator Emeritus

The Cubs will probably throw Hendricks, Lester, and Arrietta at the Indians before putting Chapman in
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The Cubs will probably throw Hendricks, Lester, and Arrietta at the Indians before putting Chapman in
I'm glad you didn't add Lackey. I admire him as a bulldog but the thought of him in makes me more nervous than I already am.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #252

Quote:
I'm glad you didn't add Lackey. I admire him as a bulldog but the thought of him in makes me more nervous than I already am.
Exactly
Old 11-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Cueto pitched a CG in game 2 last year.

I could see Chapman coming in early like I thought he was going to be used yesterday, to get a key out or two against the middle of the lineup. Then they could start the next inning with Lackey or Lester. Arrieta threw a lot more pitches (102) yesterday than Chapman has in the last 3 games. I don't see him coming in before any of those others, plus Montgomery. Though, maybe to get an out.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
oops, sorry
Old 11-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Lester, for sure; the usual timetable would have him throwing a few pitches anyway. Arrieta? Not sure since he just pitched yesterday. That said, apart from Montgomery against some lefties for a short time I don't know that Maddon wants to trust anyone in his bullpen right now.

It's becoming increasingly common for the Game 5 starter to be the reliever between the starter and the closer in a Game 7. Especially since on most pitching staffs, the Game 5 starter was also the Game 1 starter, AKA your "ace". Cleveland is changing it up this year but they have that luxury with a deep bullpen that allows the starters to be pulled sooner and with fewer pitches.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #256
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Lester, for sure; the usual timetable would have him throwing a few pitches anyway. Arrieta? Not sure since he just pitched yesterday......

The talk of Arrieta pitching came from Jake himself in the post game interview. Unlikely, but if Jake says he can throw and Maddon thinks he can, then it wouldn't surprise me if he came in for an inning.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #257
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Indians playing small ball.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Go figure. Baez with 2 errors and a homer.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

I think the ideal for the Cubs now would be Hendricks for 6-7 innings, Lester for 1-2, and Chapman in the 9th. But this is the WS and quick hooks are the norm.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of quick hooks.... I feel like this one may bite Maddon in the butt. ONE walk and you take Hendricks out after 4 2/3? Stupid baseball, IMO. And I think Maddon is one of the best managers in the game. They all do this stuff in the WS.