Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
That's about as close as it gets. What a game 7!
In the odd rules of Baseball, Chapman got credited with the win, despite blowing a 3 run lead with only 4 outs to go. I think he set the record for the slowest 102 mph fastballs in history . Had they lost, I would have pinned the lost more on Maddon for burning Chapman out in game 6 or taking Hendricks out so soon.

But all is forgiven. Cubs are the champs!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #282
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
In the odd rules of Baseball, Chapman got credited with the win, despite blowing a 3 run lead with only 4 outs to go. I think he set the record for the slowest 102 mph fastballs in history . Had they lost, I would have pinned the lost more on Maddon for burning Chapman out in game 6 or taking Hendricks out so soon.
I agree. I generally think Maddon is one of the best managers in the game, but IMO he overmanaged the Cubs in the WS and it almost cost his team the championship. In particular, his overuse of Chapman (especially using him at all in Game 6) -- and overeagerness to pull effective starters were pretty bad, and the Cubs won despite his moves. It reminded me of watching a Dusty Baker team.

It was ridiculous that Hendricks was pulled for giving up a walk with two out and no one on base, before he even qualified for the win and having thrown only 63 pitches.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #283
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I agree. I generally think Maddon is one of the best managers in the game, but IMO he overmanaged the Cubs in the WS and it almost cost his team the championship. In particular, his overuse of Chapman and overeagerness to pull effective starters were pretty bad, and the Cubs won despite his moves. It reminded me of watching a Dusty Baker team.

It was ridiculous that Hendricks was pulled for giving up a walk with two out and no one on base, before he even qualified for the win and having thrown only 63 pitches.
Especially when the walk was due to the single worst ball/strike call during the whole series. It seems that managers are afraid to leave pitchers in because they want to be seen doing something. Managing is not a job for the faint of heart, but the temptation to DO something is very strong when you really have little control over the performance of your players.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree. I generally think Maddon is one of the best managers in the game, but IMO he overmanaged the Cubs in the WS and it almost cost his team the championship. In particular, his overuse of Chapman (especially using him at all in Game 6) -- and overeagerness to pull effective starters were pretty bad, and the Cubs won despite his moves. It reminded me of watching a Dusty Baker team.

I think that in such a pressured situation, even good managers like Maddon overthink and end up shooting themselves on the foot. I think in Maddon's mind, if he got a lead, which he did, his mind was made up in Game 6 to got with Lester (on 2 days rest) in game 7 then Chapman no matter what.

Was interesting to see the players perform (or not) under extreme pressure. Poor Carl Edwards Jr. (one of my favorite relievers on the team), He had two easy outs in the bottom of the 10th and you could see the nerves come before the final batter he faced.

Dusty is a manager that definitely doesn't know how to handle his pitchers.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #285
Give me a forum ...

The funniest play (not so funny but more nervous then) was the wild pitch that Lester bounced and zonked Ross and costed 2 runs. The ball staggered Ross like he got hit in boxing match.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #286
Moderator Emeritus

I love this video, where Bryant is laughing like a Little Leaguer as he fields the last hit and tosses it to Rizzo for the win and then falls on the ground.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/6/9/0/2079...d_57wjvo4o.gif

(eta to provide direct link to video)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #287
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Exactly right, and Hendricks' walk was a bad call, so he was basically pulling him after a good pitch. The only thing I'll give him is that he says he writes "Don't be a fan" on his scorecard every day, so he won't feel obligated to do things like keep a guy in long enough to qualify for the win. That's good to put the game over any sentimental decisions. But it was still a big mistake, IMO, and just about everyone else's. He just got away with it, barely. Chapman was just tired enough to lose his edge and become very hittable.

And game 6, he says he had to start Chapman in the 9th because he was surprised by the homer and didn't have anyone else ready. Well, why weren't they ready? Get them up throwing even if you aren't going to use them if it stays close (which is really wasn't), because you aren't really saving them for anything else. Wood, Grimm, Rondon, Strop, all hadn't pitched since Saturday or earlier, and weren't key pitchers, so getting them up and not using them isn't really a big deal. Chapman is the one he absolutely needed to save, and he didn't.

Anyway, I feel like Maddon played a large part in getting the Cubs there, but they won it all despite him.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #288
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I love this video, where Bryant is laughing like a Little Leaguer as he fields the last hit and tosses it to Rizzo for the win and then falls on the ground.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/6/9/0/2079...d_57wjvo4o.gif

(eta to provide direct link to video)
I tried picking the MVP of the series ahead of time and my choice was Bryant. I think his back to back games of home runs was the turning point. Especially the HR in game five when the season looked over.

Though, I have no problem at all with Zobrist. Nothing flashy but so consistent and clutch.

There were a lot of heroes during the entire postseason. A true team championship.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Anyway, I feel like Maddon played a large part in getting the Cubs there, but they won it all despite him.
We can all have our feelings and opinions about how things went down, but we'll NEVER know how it would have worked out if Joe hadn't played it the way he did.

Joe has managed very unconventionally all season (Travis Wood moving from left field to pitcher on alternating batters for example - not your everyday scenario!) so I'm just going with what is. I would have left Hendricks in too, but my phone didn't ring soliciting my instructions. So, I just paced around the family room wringing my hands.......

I hope Maddon is here in town for years to come!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
We can all have our feelings and opinions about how things went down, but we'll NEVER know how it would have worked out if Joe hadn't played it the way he did.

Joe has managed very unconventionally all season (Travis Wood moving from left field to pitcher on alternating batters for example - not your everyday scenario!) so I'm just going with what is. I would have left Hendricks in too, but my phone didn't ring soliciting my instructions. So, I just paced around the family room wringing my hands.......

I hope Maddon is here in town for years to come!
From a Cubs fan perspective, they are now champs, so all is forgiven. Had the game ended otherwise, there'd be calls to run him out of town (with me ready to sign the petition ).

Gotta give some credit to the Indians too for taking the game to the limit for not giving up when the count down to the final outs had already started.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In the odd rules of Baseball, Chapman got credited with the win, despite blowing a 3 run lead with only 4 outs to go. I think he set the record for the slowest 102 mph fastballs in history .
When Chapman came in, I "thought" it was a good move. Couldn't believe he almost blew the game so quickly. You just never know.

Anyway, I have great respect for any pitchers athletic ability that can throw a baseball over 100mph and have good control. Back in the day, I was a tall and pretty strong guy with better than average athletic ability. I was never "trained" but I knew how to throw a ball and thought I was pretty good. That is until one day, someone setup a radar cage for us to use. I was among the fastest but my best was in the low 70mph range. (And forget about control at that speed) So much for my baseball career.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #292
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When Chapman came in, I "thought" it was a good move. Couldn't believe he almost blew the game so quickly. You just never know.

Anyway, I have great respect for any pitchers athletic ability that can throw a baseball over 100mph and have good control. Back in the day, I was a tall and pretty strong guy with better than average athletic ability. I was never "trained" but I knew how to throw a ball and thought I was pretty good. That is until one day, someone setup a radar cage for us to use. I was among the fastest but my best was in the low 70mph range. (And forget about control at that speed) So much for my baseball career.
I like Chapman and hope the Cubs sign him for the 2017 season. Had he mixed in a breaking ball or two, I the he might have gotten out the inning. He was throwing fastball after faster and the hitter were fouling off and got their timing. The pitch in that HR wasn't right over the middle but pretty much golfed for a HR.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #293
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The funniest play (not so funny but more nervous then) was the wild pitch that Lester bounced and zonked Ross and costed 2 runs. The ball staggered Ross like he got hit in boxing match.
And then he led off the next inning and hit a 410 foot home run.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #294
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

Looks like you aren't alone in thinking that way:
Quote:
When Joe Maddon shoved aside baseball lifer Rick Renteria two years ago to become manager of the Chicago Cubs, a hungry fan base rejoiced, believing that their team had found a genius to lead it to a championship.

But today, as a drowsy America celebrates the Cubs’ World Series win, an odd realization cuts through our case of the warm-and-fuzzies: Maddon, far from delivering the victory, nearly cost his team its chance at history.

“It’s amazing to say, but they won despite him, not because of him,” said one rival scout Thursday morning, echoing an opinion that bounced around baseball all Wednesday night and into the morning. “He choked.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2856951

Nevertheless, Cubbies are the champs!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #295
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyway, I have great respect for any pitchers athletic ability that can throw a baseball over 100mph and have good control....,

I have great respect for the athletic ability of pro athletes, but MLB pitchers really amaze me. Pinpoint control, movement and variations in speed. In high school, our baseball team was undefeated and full of ourselves. The coach brought in a pro to pitch batting practice. Quite a humbling experience. We got a few foul balls off of him.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #296
Give me a forum ...

I look at the general picture of things this way.....

In game 6, Maddon should have done whatever he thought best to win that game, as though it was the final game, without regard to the possibility of a game 7. If the Indians had come back at the end, it would have been the final game and no need to worry about game 7. If using Chapman was the best way to ensure a win in game 6, then use Chapman. Priority #1 = live to play tomorrow.

In game 7, while I did think that pulling Hendricks when he did was a bit premature, during one of Maddon's post game interviews he went through a number of various scenarios, for various possibilities and combinations of events, using multiple combinations and ordering of pitchers, and things made more sense for me after that.

What a happy day it is here in Chicago!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #297

I'm not a baseball fan but that game could turn me into one.
Congrats to the Cub's and Fans.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #298
Give me a forum ...

That was an excellent game! I had to turn it off after the top of the 10th, since I had to get up really early this morning. I was hoping the two run lead would hold up.

I haven't watched MLB in 20 years, but decided to watch some of this series. I think I'm going to try to get back into the game next year. It's going to take awhile to learn the names and history that I missed. But this series was a good start.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #299
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lot of Maddon bashing. Like some have said, they would not be here without him. He sticks to his style of managing (which is pretty much by the numbers) and most of the time it works, sometimes not (103 wins). His unconventional side comes into play in how he handles the personalities and mindset of the team.

As a package I will take him over most any day of the week.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #300

Yes, one for the ages! Congrats to the Cubs. Too bad that one team had to lose, the Indians really battled all the way.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote