Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2016, 06:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a hard time getting into baseball. If I lived near a classic old ball park like Wrigley Field, I would certainly go. Having a hot dog with a beer on a sunny afternoon at the park would be nice. But sitting at home watching a game on the tube......I'm dozing off in the recliner by the 3rd inning.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I have a hard time getting into baseball. If I lived near a classic old ball park like Wrigley Field, I would certainly go. Having a hot dog with a beer on a sunny afternoon at the park would be nice. But sitting at home watching a game on the tube......I'm dozing off in the recliner by the 3rd inning.

The game seems to goes by so much faster at the ball park then on TV. But in my older age, don't know if I can take baking in the heat for 3 hours in a hot sunny day.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The game seems to goes by so much faster at the ball park then on TV.

I agree. Maybe because you can people watch between innings, or watch the kiss cam/sausage race/ other standard ballpark entertainment, instead of being subjected to commercials?

That reminds me. I want to run the sausage race. Do you think the Brewers would let me, given my screen name?
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #24

Settling in to watch the opening game between the Royals and the Mets. Great to see another exciting year start for them all.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:21 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quite a day yesterday. When the NCAA championship went to halftime, flipping over to ESPN had the Cubs/Angels first pitch, Opening Day. Leadoff hit (and eventually a Cub win).

As for the NCAA game: at the end there, first I said, "Wow!". Then, right after, I said, "WOW!!!!". Quite a game!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

read in the paper today Astros vs Mets in WS
Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Little Babe gone for the year. I was all set for him to lead the majors in home runs too.

I don't believe in curses, I don't believe in curses, I don't believe in curses .

Cubs' Kyle Schwarber goes on disabled list | cubs.com

Quote:
PHOENIX -- Kyle Schwarber, injured in a collision in the outfield on Thursday, will miss the remainder of the 2016 season due to fully torn ACL and LCL ligaments in his left leg, as well as a severely sprained left ankle, the club informed reporters before Friday's game against the D-backs.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Little Babe gone for the year. I was all set for him to lead the majors in home runs too.

I don't believe in curses, I don't believe in curses, I don't believe in curses .

Cubs' Kyle Schwarber goes on disabled list | cubs.com

That's just awful all the way around. I hope the team does rally around his loss. It's a long season.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Wella, wella, well-ah! My, my, my.

Home opener at the Friendly Confines after Arrieta does his own Little Babe routine.

And a second chance to put up one I was thinking of to start this thread (but I like the one that made it). Holy Cow!

Baseball 2016
Old 04-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #30

Baseball 2016

Royals fans are excited. Four wins so far and they all came from different attributes of an amazing team chemistry. Hope the Cubbies come through, I'd be willing to lose to them in 7 just for the thrill of it. Playing the Astros next, this ought to be fun to watch no matter who wins.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #31

Astros look great. Good game even though the Royals are getting hammered.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Sling (with ESPN included) comes through again: CHC@STL tonight!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Arietta gets the first no-no of the season:

Quote:
Jake Arrieta's career reached another zenith Thursday night even though he lacked sharpness.

Arrieta's ability to overcome his lack of command simply speaks volumes about his incredible dominance since the middle of his 2015 National League Cy Young Award-winning season.

Despite four walks, Arrieta's supremacy took over in the final three innings of a no-hitter that overshadowed the Cubs' 16-0 humbling of the Reds before a crowd of 16,497 at damp Great American Ball Park.
Jake Arrieta throws second no-hitter of career in 16-0 rout of Reds - Chicago Tribune

Maybe the Cubbies should give him a blank check for him to put in the amount he thinks that he is worth and just pay that before he goes in the open market in 2017.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe the Cubbies should give him a blank check for him to put in the amount he thinks that he is worth and just pay that before he goes in the open market in 2017.
Didn't Andre "The Hawk" Dawson do that in reverse? Giving the Cubs a blank check to let him come play in Wrigley? Regardless, he definitely made a mark there.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Didn't Andre "The Hawk" Dawson do that in reverse? Giving the Cubs a blank check to let him come play in Wrigley? Regardless, he definitely made a mark there.

Yes, "The Hawk" did do that.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy baseball, while the game is still baseball.

Quote:
There could be major changes to Major League Baseball's strike zone as early as the 2017 season.

According to an ESPN report, the MLB's competition committee has approved a motion that would raise the strike zone to the top of the hitter's knees (from its current position at "the hollow beneath the kneecap").

In addition, the committee voted to do away with the need for teams to throw four balls when it wants to intentionally walk a batter. Instead, the batter would simply be awarded first base.
Report: MLB could raise the strike zone, change intentional walks for 2017 season | FOX Sports

Call me a prude purist, but requiring a team to throw four balls for an intentional walk is part of the fun. A lot can happen forcing a pitcher to throw four balls as an intentional. Who wants to go to a baseball game that only lasts 2 hours? Nothing like an old time 5 hour or more game.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Enjoy baseball, while the game is still baseball.

Report: MLB could raise the strike zone, change intentional walks for 2017 season | FOX Sports

Call me a prude purist, but requiring a team to throw four balls for an intentional walk is part of the fun. A lot can happen forcing a pitcher to throw four balls as an intentional. Who wants to go to a baseball game that only lasts 2 hours? Nothing like an old time 5 hour or more game.
Without intentional walks the Bad New Bears never would have come as close as they did!
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Without intentional walks the Bad New Bears never would have come as close as they did!
Haven't seen Bad News Bears in a long long time. My memory is shuffling. I'll take a stab, did they constantly walk the character played by Tatum O'Neil? Wasn't she like the Mo’ne Davis of the movie, a girl making all the boys look bad?

With the possible no need to throw 4 pitches for intentional walks, looks like Bryce Harper my not need to pack any bats at all .
Old 05-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #39
gone traveling

Glad Odor was not on the receiving end. I get the impression many around league where happy to see Batista get smacked, although I do not want to see baseball become like ice hockey. Haven't heard yet whether the 8 game suspension will be reduced.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #40

Unbelievable comeback by the Royals today. Young guys just keeping the line moving.