Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/8ic...grande.0.0.jpg

Still preying for Royals/Cubbies. Hey, it could happen.

Well I am a "carpetbagger fan" but with you on the Royals...Almost forgot as they went into the tank last month. But in early July while in Vegas I took a $50 flyer (my only baseball bet) on Royals to win World Series again at 50-1 odds... Suddenly in the past week my interest level has picked up a bit...They are on a tear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Well I am a "carpetbagger fan" but with you on the Royals...Almost forgot as they went into the tank last month. But in early July while in Vegas I took a $50 flyer (my only baseball bet) on Royals to win World Series again at 50-1 odds... Suddenly in the past week my interest level has picked up a bit...They are on a tear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As long as the Mantis is living.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

The Cubbies are on a roll.

Quote:
When there’s a catch everyone’s talking about, sometimes you see it and you say “Yeah, that’s cool.” And then there are times you see the day’s most talked-about catch and say “HOLY CRAP WHAT DID HE JUST DO, THAT IS AN AMAZING CATCH.” This is one of those “HOLY CRAP” catches.
Addison Russell shows off hustle with phenomenal run-saving grab

Which only makes me more nervous come playoff time... After all no matter what record, they still are the Cubs.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The Cubbies are on a roll.

Addison Russell shows off hustle with phenomenal run-saving grab

Which only makes me more nervous come playoff time... After all no matter what record, they still are the Cubs.
That was a great catch. As to the Cubs chances in the playoffs - great unless the goat appears at a game.

Or unless Steve Bartman comes to playoff game
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That was a great catch. As to the Cubs chances in the playoffs - great unless the goat appears at a game.

Or unless Steve Bartman comes to playoff game
My worries exactly.

With their history, they'd probably be on the cusp of the world series this year year a power outage or something happens and messes things up.

Or they just run into a team with great arms like last year and go cold in the playoffs.

That said, I'm all in. Well, in with fingers crossed .
Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just had to go and say something.....
Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Went to the Cubs - Giants game last Saturday. Great day for a game, but the Cubs lost.

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Key to Cubs playoff shot is not to go into a "power slump" all at once. They tend to do that at times but have been more consistent this year. Hopefully more maturity will help them avoid it this year.

Looks like the bullpen injuries are clearing up which is a great sign.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
Key to Cubs playoff shot is not to go into a "power slump" all at once. They tend to do that at times but have been more consistent this year. Hopefully more maturity will help them avoid it this year.

Looks like the bullpen injuries are clearing up which is a great sign.
I think sometimes they fall in love with the long ball and forget to play small ball. The challenge for them is to stay hot going into the playoffs, but not overtax the players expected to make the playoff roster.

A 5 game series scares me as if the Cards make the wildcard and face the Cubbies, I'm sure the Cards would love to return to favor of knocking the Cubs out this year. The Giants scare me too with some really good arms. Then there's still the Mets hanging around. I'm getting ahead of myself.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #70

Cubbies have long been my second favorite team, now they are my most favorite for the remainder of the year.

Mulligan, too bad lightning didn't strike twice (or thrice I guess).
Old 09-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cubbies have long been my second favorite team, now they are my most favorite for the remainder of the year.

After clinching last night, the Cubbies put in most of the back up players and still managed to comeback and win today. When things are going good, things go good .

But, when the post season starts, I sure hope they don't pull a Golden State Warriors .

The Mets scare me, as well as the Giants with their good arms. The Cards are not push over either. But that is then, this is now. Just enjoying the ride .
Old 09-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

The Astro's are finished for the year. The Texas Rangers team has had them for lunch way too many times this season.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #73

My local team was mathematically eliminated long ago, but I still enjoy going to the occasional game. Baseball is a great game to watch at the park.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The Astro's are finished for the year. The Texas Rangers team has had them for lunch way too many times this season.

It's been amazing. I think the Rangers are in their heads. I'm a Ranger fan and have loved it. But my second favorite team are the Astros so I wish they could make a wild card like last year.

Astros are a good team. The way the Rangers have owned them is crazy. A great example a few days ago. Astros take a 1 run lead into top of 9th. They get first two outs quickly. They strike out Odor but instead of game over he gets to first on the loose third strike. Next thing you know the Rangers score 2 and close it out in the bottom of 9th. Like I said. In their heads.

If it wasn't for the lopsided season series with the Rangers the Astros would probably be the wild card leaders.

Muir

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
It's been amazing. I think the Rangers are in their heads. I'm a Ranger fan and have loved it. But my second favorite team are the Astros so I wish they could make a wild card like last year.

Astros are a good team. The way the Rangers have owned them is crazy. A great example a few days ago. Astros take a 1 run lead into top of 9th. They get first two outs quickly. They strike out Odor but instead of game over he gets to first on the loose third strike. Next thing you know the Rangers score 2 and close it out in the bottom of 9th. Like I said. In their heads.

If it wasn't for the lopsided season series with the Rangers the Astros would probably be the wild card leaders.

Muir

The Rangers just beat Oakland tonight by scoring two runs in the 9th with two outs. The team is on a roll!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #76

Yep! They are fun to watch. At least if they're your team.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, KC, they just couldnt keep that hot streak going. If my betting ticket was a bit softer, I would be cutting my losses and getting some utility out of the ticket and turning it into toilet tissue...The dream is over!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Marners, here.

It is fascinating how they can be white hot one day and dead, dead, dead the next.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Sad and shocking news in the baseball world. Just got home from buy groceries then when get I got online read the tragic news about Marlins ace Jose Fernandez killed in a boating accident. He was one of the up and coming pitching phenoms of the game.

Quote:
Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernández, one of baseball's brightest stars, was killed early Sunday in a boating accident, Florida authorities said. Fernández, who was 24, and two other men were found dead after their 32-foot boat was discovered crashed at the entrance of Miami Harbor, said Fish and Wildlife Commission public information officer Lorenzo Veloz.
Quote:
Veloz said the death of Fernández was a loss to Miami, to baseball and to anyone who had ever met him.
"He was pillar to our community, he was involved in everything that he could be to give back," Veloz said. "I had the experience of talking to him several times, down-to-earth, great person ... I'm sorry I'm getting goosebumps right now, it's really hitting home and it's horrible."
Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez dies unexpectedly - CNN.com
Forget Who's on First. Who's on What Channel?
Old 10-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Forget Who's on First. Who's on What Channel?

I assumed (of course, you know what happens when one assumes) that since I subscribed to Sling TV to follow the NL Playoffs on FS1, that I could watch the Mets/Giants wildcard game tonight. But find out, the game is on ESPN (which I didn't subscribe to). To add to the confusion, I don't even know if the Cubs' game #2 on Saturday is on FS1 or not. The game is definitely on MLBN, but from what I read, games are also on FS1, but I'm not sure and won't bet on that.

If all this channel dancing around is confusing, looks like I'm not alone with that feeling :

Quote:
While he’s trying to speed up the game, maybe commissioner Rob Manfred can figure out a better way for fans to find which network is airing a playoff game on any given night.
Already, with the wild card knockout round less than a week away, the smell of confusion is polluting the airwaves. That’s what happens when five TV outlets (Fox, FS1, TBS, ESPN, MLBN) all have a piece of the action.
It’s far from a reach to suggest MLB is the only major professional sports enterprise where people don’t know where to go to find postseason games.
The biggest problem with watching the MLB playoffs - NY Daily News