Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,591
Looking more and more like the same old Cubs .
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #82
Moderator
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Looking more and more like the same old Cubs .
They sure do tonight.
__________________

__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
They sure do tonight.
They look like a rattled team.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 1,792
I'm not much of a baseball fan (it's "usually" difficult to get excited with the two Texas teams) but the possibility of the Cubs going to the WS is hard for me to resist. It's the first time I've been interested in the baseball playoffs in a long time. I just hope the Blue Jays don't make it to the WS. They seem to be the worst at throwing trash on the field when things don't go their way at home.
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'm not much of a baseball fan (it's "usually" difficult to get excited with the two Texas teams) but the possibility of the Cubs going to the WS is hard for me to resist. It's the first time I've been interested in the baseball playoffs in a long time. I just hope the Blue Jays don't make it to the WS. They seem to be the worst at throwing trash on the field when things don't go their way at home.
Do or die for the Cubs tonight. A win and back to WS talk. A loss and backs are really against the wall and more head scratching as to what went wrong.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.
Koogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'm not much of a baseball fan (it's "usually" difficult to get excited with the two Texas teams) but the possibility of the Cubs going to the WS is hard for me to resist. It's the first time I've been interested in the baseball playoffs in a long time. I just hope the Blue Jays don't make it to the WS. They seem to be the worst at throwing trash on the field when things don't go their way at home.
We'll see if the Indians grant your wish.

Meanwhile, let's remember there is a lot of incivility to go around..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (36.5 KB, 15 views)
__________________
"No one's interested in something you didn't do"
Tragically Hip - Wheat Kings
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
We'll see if the Indians grant your wish.
They did !!!
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 538
Wahoo!!!
__________________
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
We'll see if the Indians grant your wish.
They did !!!
So glad the tribe took down the Jays. [Mod Edit]

Since I am an American League fan, will be rooting for Cleveland.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #90
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On the road again
Posts: 21,550
Fixed a bunch of broken quotes, so there's no need to quibble. I've always been impressed by the show of good sportsmanship we find here on E-R Forum.
__________________
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,591
Cubs vs Dodgers. Funny how things change in 24 hrs. A night ago, the Cubbies had their backs to the wall. After winning last night and stealing back home field, the pressure is on the Dodgers. I have a feeling the series is just "getting started" ...best out of 3 sounds a lot better than must win 3 in a row.

Did you see that play at the plate? I think the throw had the runner beat, but the runner did sneak his fingertips on the plate (but not conclusively) before being tagged. So, the umps not changing the call of out was correct. IMO, In football terms, the call on the field should stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg play at the plate.jpg (263.3 KB, 11 views)
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Cubs vs Dodgers. Funny how things change in 24 hrs. A night ago, the Cubbies had their backs to the wall. After winning last night and stealing back home field, the pressure is on the Dodgers. I have a feeling the series is just "getting started" ...best out of 3 sounds a lot better than must win 3 in a row.

Did you see that play at the plate? I think the throw had the runner beat, but the runner did sneak his fingertips on the plate (but not conclusively) before being tagged. So, the umps not changing the call of out was correct. IMO, In football terms, the call on the field should stand.
totally agree. From every angle I saw, when Gonzalez' hand is just off the plate, you can't definitively see that the catcher's glove isn't contacting the runner somewhere. Maybe on the heel of the glove, on the arm of the runner? A lot of people are focusing on when the mitt hit the runner forcibly on the chin/chest, but you can't see for sure that contact was not made earlier. Ump was in perfect position.
I don't think they could overturn what he called.
__________________
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
totally agree. From every angle I saw, when Gonzalez' hand is just off the plate, you can't definitively see that the catcher's glove isn't contacting the runner somewhere. Maybe on the heel of the glove, on the arm of the runner? A lot of people are focusing on when the mitt hit the runner forcibly on the chin/chest, but you can't see for sure that contact was not made earlier. Ump was in perfect position.
I don't think they could overturn what he called.
+1.

That's one of the calls, had the runner been called safe, the play should stay as safe also. Too close to overturn.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,221
I'm not a sports fan at all but as someone who lives in North East Ohio it's easy to be a sports fan this year!

I've been watching all the Indians games and making it to the World Series is BIG NEWS around here. My son does free lance work for the Cleveland TV sports channel that covers the Indians (pre-game or post game shows) and his friend is a cameraman at the ball park.

I even watched basketball this year (Cleveland Cavaliers) which is rare for me.

I'd much rather watch sports right now than news.
__________________
Married, both 61. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I'm not a sports fan at all but as someone who lives in North East Ohio it's easy to be a sports fan this year!

I've been watching all the Indians games and making it to the World Series is BIG NEWS around here. My son does free lance work for the Cleveland TV sports channel that covers the Indians (pre-game or post game shows) and his friend is a cameraman at the ball park.

I even watched basketball this year (Cleveland Cavaliers) which is rare for me.

I'd much rather watch sports right now than news.
Oh yeah.
__________________
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 5,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Regardless of your allegiance, I wouldn't want to take my family to a game in that ballpark due to so many rowdies
It would be like going to a football game in The City of Brotherly Love.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,592
I went to a fight once, and a hockey game broke out...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I went to a fight once, and a hockey game broke out...
__________________
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets
Philliefan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It would be like going to a football game in The City of Brotherly Love.

Youse better believe it. The Iggles fans are proud of that reputation.

Since my Phillies are all home and relaxing, I have adopted the Cubs for this post season. DD moved to Chicago this summer so there's a bit of a connection. In fact, we were visiting this week and had dinner at a bar in Wrigleyville on Tuesday. I definitely want to get out there next season to attend a game.
__________________
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 76
Good start for the Cubbies tonight, they do make it a fun game.



Wisdom begins with wonder.
__________________

__________________
Wisdom starts with wonder
KCGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another college shooting and baseball hearings. newguy88 Other topics 19 02-16-2008 10:26 AM
This could be a very interesting baseball off-season mickeyd Other topics 6 12-27-2006 11:47 PM
The Greatest Play in Baseball Eagle43 Other topics 4 05-23-2006 08:51 AM
Watching World Baseball Danny Other topics 15 03-12-2006 11:22 PM
Baseball is Back, Winter is over. Maximillion Other topics 8 02-25-2006 10:29 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:25 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.