Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Something you probably won't see outside the KC market.

1st time in team history they've come back and won after being down 2 or more runs in the 7th for 3 straight games. Sweeping the Sox and taking over 1st place, ya gotta believe.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fun at the old ballpark. Easier when you are winning and with a former teammate.

Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo, Diamondbacks’ Castillo have fun
Old 06-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #43

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....

Two club records in a month or so. First the winning streak and now the longest and worst slump in years.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

The all star break can't come soon enough for the Cubbies. They are pretty much limping towards the break winning only about 6 out of their last 20 or so games. Pretty much an embarrassment that their whole infield will start. Sure, they had an amazing April and May, but a terrible June and bad July so far.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #45

The All Star "vote often" system is ludicrous. I don't see any reasonable way to prevent ballot-box-stuffing style abuses of an anonymous online voting system. Can't imagine MLB will return to the mail-in paper ballots of years past, but that process discouraged most people from voting over and over, and IMO usually resulted in more deserving and diverse AS rosters than we typically get now.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I remember those paper ballots. My first exposure to punched cards. I do remember a time going to a game in the summer and grabbing several ballots to vote .
Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Feeling like October already. Looks like the Cubbies are gonna get Chapman as their closer:

Cubs to acquire Aroldis Chapman from Yankees | cubs.com

Cubs are giving a lot of young talent for what could be a rental. World Series or broke .
Old 07-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Cubs are giving a lot of young talent for what could be a rental. World Series or broke .
I seriously hope the Rangers don't do likewise. Not a very good ROI from my perspective.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

^ watch out for Houston
Old 07-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Feeling like October already. Looks like the Cubbies are gonna get Chapman as their closer:

Cubs to acquire Aroldis Chapman from Yankees | cubs.com

Supposedly the trade was based on the cubs signing Chapman to a long term deal.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
^ watch out for Houston
Right now I am on the injury watch list wondering who's next. Seems to be a frequent problem of the Rangers in losing key talent to injuries/DL. I haven't seen how they stack up against other teams in that area, but I suspect they'd be pretty high on the list.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Supposedly the trade was based on the cubs signing Chapman to a long term deal.
How does the long term deal part work? Does Chapman just give his scouts honor to not move elsewhere at end of year? Or are all bets off?

The Cubs gave up a lot. That said, if Chapman is the missing piece to the world series (similar to Johnny Cueto last year for the Royals) and the Cubbies win, then resources well spent. Otherwise, that's a lot to give up if Chapman doesn't sign an extended contract.

Overall, I like the trade (can anyone say Sling TV for the playoffs in October? ) as long as Rizzo and Chapman don't duke it out in the clubhouse with any left over feelings from their near fight last years.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How does the long term deal part work? Does Chapman just give his scouts honor to not move elsewhere at end of year? Or are all bets off?

The Cubs gave up a lot. That said, if Chapman is the missing piece to the world series (similar to Johnny Cueto last year for the Royals) and the Cubbies win, then resources well spent. Otherwise, that's a lot to give up if Chapman doesn't sign an extended contract.

Overall, I like the trade (can anyone say Sling TV for the playoffs in October? ) as long as Rizzo and Chapman don't duke it out in the clubhouse with any left over feelings from their near fight last years.
I wondered how the long term deal part would work also. It's something I read online somewhere when this started to break. I suppose they could agree to do the trade and then give him an extension. I don't know. But I just read another news clip that didn't confirm the long term deal, but suggested that it's ok to sign a prospective free agent closer because he alone could effectively win the world series. We'll see.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wondered how the long term deal part would work also. It's something I read online somewhere when this started to break. I suppose they could agree to do the trade and then give him an extension. I don't know. But I just read another news clip that didn't confirm the long term deal, but suggested that it's ok to sign a prospective free agent closer because he alone could effectively win the world series. We'll see.
With Chapman as a real closer this adds so much as now if they have a lead by around the 6th or 7th inning, the Cubs are in good shape to win a lot of games if Edwards Jr (great arm, great control) and Rondon (set up fits him well) doing the bulk of the setup work. I'm not too crazy about Pedro Strop though.

They just really might be the team to beat.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
With Chapman as a real closer this adds so much as now if they have a lead by around the 6th or 7th inning, the Cubs are in good shape to win a lot of games if Edwards Jr (great arm, great control) and Rondon (set up fits him well) doing the bulk of the setup work. I'm not too crazy about Pedro Strop though.

They just really might be the team to beat.
I think they are the team to beat. I'm a White Sox fan, and have been subjected to a lot of talk recently of the Cubs trading for Chris Sale. I don't see that happening now.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think they are the team to beat. I'm a White Sox fan, and have been subjected to a lot of talk recently of the Cubs trading for Chris Sale. I don't see that happening now.
Looks like the White Sox are rebuilding. Even so, to part with Sale would be painful for White Sox fans.

He would looked great in a Cubs uniform. Of course again, depending who goes the other way.

Playing fantasy GM, say if the Cubs don't come to contract terms with Arrietta when his contract is up and if Sale is still around with the White Sox, I'd have no problem with such a trade. Straight up.

But seems the Cubs and White Sox don't make big trades with each other. Probably not since Sosa, but that was in his pre scamming slamming Sammy Sosa days .
Baseball 2016
Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #57

Baseball 2016

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/8ic...grande.0.0.jpg

Still preying for Royals/Cubbies. Hey, it could happen.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #58
gone traveling

Anyone see the little league championship game yesterday between US and south korea? Great game with exceptional pitching from both teams. Endwell, NY team won.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Anyone see the little league championship game yesterday between US and south korea? Great game with exceptional pitching from both teams. Endwell, NY team won.
Always watch LLWS, family ritual. DW and I grew up in Williamsport, chance to see home without going there!

Congratulations to all the teams that made it there.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
DW and I grew up in Williamsport, chance to see home without going there!
Aside from all the fun I had playing as a kid, my former Mega-Corp had a plant in Williamsport that I used to visit periodically, so have a soft spot in my heart for watching each year. Its a nice town.