Join Early Retirement Today

Baseball 2016
Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Baseball 2016

OK, I'm jumping the gun here but you know what? I don't care - ha!

I'd hoped to have the chance to kick it off this year and always liked knowing that last year's version of this thread opened with a clip of Harry Caray. Warms the heart of a Cubs fan, you know? (and StL and the White Sox fans too, with the A's tossed in). I had a different clip squirreled away for this year on my YouTube list but then I remembered another guy who probably knows more about the game than all those broadcasters combined, so he got the nod.

Even though it's only February, I can't wait. It's like when you show up at the ballpark very early and get to settle in and watch all the things going on around you and on the field, knowing there's a beer (at least one) and a hot dog (at least one, also) in your near future. Ahhh.... play ball!!!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the clip. Love those old cartoons. I am planning out a trip to Chicago to attend a Cubs game at Wrigley this summer.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

Pitchers and catchers report next Friday and Saturday! Great time to be in Scottsdale!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not jumping the gun at all.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Pitchers and catchers report next Friday and Saturday! Great time to be in Scottsdale!
DW and I will show up in Mesa on March 2nd so she can see her Cubbies while hopes are still high.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Will be down in the area in a few weeks. Go every year. Probably will become our winter home when Kids are off to college.

JDARNELL
Old 02-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #7

We are now officially in the Black Hole of sports with only hoops and ice boxing on TV. Can't wait for April! Thanks for the cartoon clip!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

After losing my best baseball buddy a few years ago I find I don't anticipate the season as much as I had in the past. I still play in some fantasy leagues but it's not the same as following a favorite team with someone you've known since childhood.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #9

No need to wait until April for baseball, as college ball start soon. Geaux Tigers!
Old 03-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #10

I got two baseball smiles today.

The first was to see clips of the game in Cuba, won by the Tampa Bay Rays.

The second came from watching a PBS show I'd recorded last night. They said that there will be a Ken Burns film "Jackie Robinson" shown on April 11. Good time of year for that sort of thing!

Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #11

This is unusual. I subscribe to schedules for the Cubs and Red Sox on my iTouch. It automatically lists the schedules for the teams, both upcoming and past. For completed games, it shows the final score.

I opened up the calendar app for today to see what I had on tap and there was a game listed: "Chicago Cubs Futures vs. Texas Rangers Futures. Time TBD. Surprise Stadium, Surprise.".

Say what?

Old 03-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #12

Sounds like the teams playing, place, and time are all a surprise.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
This is unusual. I subscribe to schedules for the Cubs and Red Sox on my iTouch. It automatically lists the schedules for the teams, both upcoming and past. For completed games, it shows the final score.

I opened up the calendar app for today to see what I had on tap and there was a game listed: "Chicago Cubs Futures vs. Texas Rangers Futures. Time TBD. Surprise Stadium, Surprise.".

Say what?
Cubs and Red Sox. Getting ready for the World Series already?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Cubs and Red Sox. Getting ready for the World Series already?
Of course. The 2,000 Year Old Man!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Of course. The 2,000 Year Old Man!
Not sure off all the other teams, but I favor the dress code of the Cubbies :

Quote:
“If you think you look hot, you wear it,” Maddon said smiling. “I’ve always rallied against the fact that [the] previous generation really frowns upon non-collared shirts, which I’ve never understood. They’ve always been in favor of the collared shirt and that being more acceptable than the non-collared shirt. I’ve never understood that logic when it comes down to dress.

“The $5,000 suit on the airplane ride makes no sense to me.”
Joe Maddon on dress code: 'If you think you look hot, you wear it' - Chicago Cubs Blog- ESPN
Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #16

I had an appointment at the clinic yesterday afternoon (just routine). I don't mind telling you, I was nervous about that game. I thought maybe it might affect my vitals or something. I checked the score on my way out and was relieved to learn the results.

The Futures won, 10-7. That's the way the final score reads!

Old 03-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #17

I just can't seem to stay interested in Baseball anymore. To many games and just to darn slow for me. I'll probably watch some games at the beginning of the season but I suspect I'll lose interest pretty quick, unless the Rangers or Astros do well and/or make the playoffs. Sometimes I'll listen to a game on the radio if I can't sleep. I'll usually nod off before an inning is played.

I guess NASCAR will have to fill the competitive gaps for me, until Football season starts again.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #18

IMO baseball makes for the best full-season fantasy sports games because its long season rewards skilled play. The crowd here likes to play with numbers and projections so I suspect several enjoy fantasy sports as well.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Mets fueling hysteria over mysterious Matt Harvey injury | Politi Bits | NJ.com

The the conclusion cracks me up:

Quote:
So you have to wonder what GM Sandy Alderson and manager Terry Collins were expecting here when the announced that Matt Harvey would miss his scheduled spring training start on Tuesday and that his Opening Day start next week was in doubt without explaining what, exactly, was wrong.

They were pretty emphatic about what wasn't wrong. "His arm is fine! His arm is fine! Okay? His arm is fine!" Collins said, and given the Mets history with such proclamations, Mets fans are forgiven if they reach one conclusion.

IT'S HIS ARM!!!
Old 04-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #20

If you're reading this thread, you probably already know what day it is. Besides Sunday.

In honor of the occasion, here are legendary pitcher Satchel Paige's "Six Rules For Staying Young":

1. Avoid fried meats, which angry up the blood.
  2. If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
  3. Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
  4. Go very light on the vices such as carrying on in society. The social ramble ain't restful.
  5. Avoid running at all times.
  6. Don't look back; something might be gaining on you.