Join Early Retirement Today

Baseball 2017
Old 02-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Baseball 2017

Boo for baseball!!

A stupid rule change! .

Quote:
As if baseball games weren't aren't already stagnant enough, nothing's worse than seeing four straight pitches to the plate that the pitcher has absolutely no intention of getting near the batter.

Then again, there's always some drama during the year on an intentional walk or two, whether that's a passed ball or a player reaching over the plate and hitting the throw.

Either way, Major League Baseball has made a massive change that will make the intentional walk obsolete at the big-league level.
REPORT: MLB Approves Massive Change to Intentional Walk Rule | 12up

The powers that be should stop messing with the game. Now we can't even enjoy a leisurely game of America's former pastime .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I do think baseball games go on forever sometimes and would love for the game to see the games speed up. According to the report, eliminating the intentional walk pitches only reduces the game by 14.3 seconds. Woohoo....now find a way to knock another half hour off the game.
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I just really really hope baseball won't do that start runner on 2B each extra inning. I heard of that proposal on "The Tonight Show" and almost that the proposal was a joke and had to look it up and make sure my leg wasn't pulled.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbaCrush View Post
I do think baseball games go on forever sometimes and would love for the game to see the games speed up. According to the report, eliminating the intentional walk pitches only reduces the game by 14.3 seconds. Woohoo....now find a way to knock another half hour off the game.
It's not about time, it's about strategy. And history. Baseball is supposed to be slow and boring!

I'm not a sports fan, but baseball does interest me from time to time, and I did watch every... single .... pitch... of the final games of the series last year with the Cubbies. And I mean every pitch. And I found a link on youtube, where the guy edits the time between pitches, and you can watch every... single... pitch... in about 1/8th the time.

It's oddly exciting when a pitcher intentionally walks a batter. Maybe the batter will jump out and hit the ball! Or maybe it backfires, and the next hitter drives the walk home? It's fun, I don't think they should mess with it.

EDIT - OK, just read the link - so they still allow an intentional walk, but just call it, no 'play acting'. I dunno, it's one of those weird things that makes baseball different from other sports, I say leave it in. There really is no rhyme or reason for sports, so nostalgia should play a part I guess.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

When the pitcher is forced to throw the four pitches for an intentional walk, there's a tendency for the pitcher to have a little less control for the next batter up. Plus, adds to his pitch count. On a hot day, if the team wants to walk the batter, make the pitcher wear himself out more. That is (well was) part of the human factor and beauty of the game.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are too few intentional walks for this change to make much time difference.

The main reasons games took less time to finish 40+ years ago are 1) there had been fewer ads between half innings, and 2) batters usually stayed in the batters' box between pitches. It's obvious why MLB does not want to return to #1, but why there is lax enforcement of #2 is a mystery to me.

In particular MLB is concerned with the long duration of extra inning games and this year will be testing (in rookie leagues) starting each extra half inning with a man on 2B. That's too radical a change for my taste. Instead I'd consider limiting the number of foul balls per at bat: after X (pick a number) foul balls, the batter is out. Right now X is infinite.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think more pitching changes is another big reason. Used to be that Fergie Jenkins or Bob Gibson would finish what they started more times than not. Now you rarely see a CG. Pitching changes take a lot of time.

Time isn't the only factor in that extra inning rule being considered. At least one manager complained about a long extra inning game depleting his staff. Going back to my previous point, maybe don't bring a pitcher in to get one out against a righty and then bring in a different pitcher to throw to a lefty and you won't run out so easily.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
When the pitcher is forced to throw the four pitches for an intentional walk, there's a tendency for the pitcher to have a little less control for the next batter up. Plus, adds to his pitch count. On a hot day, if the team wants to walk the batter, make the pitcher wear himself out more. That is (well was) part of the human factor and beauty of the game.
There you go. It's the subtle little things like that that make baseball different from other sports, IMO.

I'm thinking those 4 lobs across the plate won't do much to wear the pitcher out, but I can see it breaking his momentum, breaking his stride, or concentration. And it's tradition - that counts in some things.

-ERD50
Old 02-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I wish I could remember when it happened.... but cannot..

I remember a game where the home plate umpire was retiring after the game... it was the last game of the season and the Astros were playing some other team that was not in contention (nor were the Astros)...

Well, the ump was known for short games, but he sped up the game... would not allow batters to call time out, make the pitcher pitch etc. etc.... the game was just a few minutes over 2 hours!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A big time delay is when the pitcher throws again and again to 1st base to hold the runner on. But, that's part of the game and when some of the boos get loudest...can't beat fun at the old ballpark.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's not a total BS move like the designated hitter rule, but still. Baseball used to be the perfect game, but rule changes have devalued it. Football too. As much as I like it when my team wins out on an instant replay situation, I think it would be better to just play the game. I'm a purist.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:48 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Instead I'd consider limiting the number of foul balls per at bat: after X (pick a number) foul balls, the batter is out. Right now X is infinite.
Thats what happens in our softball league, not a bad idea. One other way to speed the game up would be to return to a higher pitching mound.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I bet there will a time, 2 outs in the ninth inning, bases loaded, tied game, you get the idea. Pitcher comes to the stretch, delivers the ball.... wait..."Did the pitch clock expire before or after the ball came out of his hand?"

Let baseball be a kids game like the timeless summers of the past.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The game has survived quite well for more than 100 years. Don't change the rules. Except get rid of the designated hitter and go back to the old rules. Part of the popularity of baseball is the history. I don't think that rule changes will draw more young people to watch the games.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The game has survived quite well for more than 100 years. Don't change the rules. Except get rid of the designated hitter and go back to the old rules. Part of the popularity of baseball is the history. I don't think that rule changes will draw more young people to watch the games.
IMO, the only thing good about the DH is that allows players who aren't 100% healthy to play. Take Schwaber for the Cubbies during the World Series, for example. The DH actually helped the NL team this time around. Or someone like Big Papi or Jim Thome who had their careers extended. That said, I much prefer the NL rule of of no DH.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I think Manfred is trying to compete with Goodell as most disliked commish in sports .

Quote:
SURPRISE, Ariz. — Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred insists he’s simply trying to be proactive, thinking that new rules to speed up his sport will provide more action and keep Millennials engaged.

Among those who play the game, however, Manfred has provoked only disgust.

Manfred wants the 20-second pitch clock that exists in the minor leagues to be implemented in the big leagues. He wants limited visits to the pitcher’s mound by catchers and infielders. He wants to eliminate the low strike in the strike zone. And if he doesn’t get cooperation from the players union, he’ll implement them himself in time for the 2018 season.

The players think these new rules will cause so much collateral damage to the sport that the game will become unrecognizable.
MLB veterans chafe at Rob Manfred's vision: Always 'some stupid new rule'
Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think Manfred is trying to compete with Goodell as most disliked commish in sports .

MLB veterans chafe at Rob Manfred's vision: Always 'some stupid new rule'

I do not think a clock is a bad thing... some pitchers take forever to get ready and throw a pitch.... however, I would also want to have a rule about how many times you can get out of the batters box... there are guys who take 30 seconds to get ready.... a pitch, out of the box... 30 more seconds... just one batter can take many minutes...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I do not think a clock is a bad thing... some pitchers take forever to get ready and throw a pitch.... however, I would also want to have a rule about how many times you can get out of the batters box... there are guys who take 30 seconds to get ready.... a pitch, out of the box... 30 more seconds... just one batter can take many minutes...
My disappointment is baseball is (at least mostly for now) really the only sport without a clock. Unlike other sports where there is a game clock a game can theoretically go on and on. I know, for some, that's a negative. I see that as a positive bringing back memories of childhood watching an long extra inning game til the wee hours of the morning. Felt, like I was playing hooky.

Seems to me like baseball under to new commish is trying to be football.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes, this stood out for me when I watched the playoffs and WS last year. It seems mostly to just be messing with the pitcher - throwing their timing off? It did seem excessive, and boring.

edit - just saw easysurfer post - I was going to add that I didn't think there was any clock in baseball, but I wasn't sure. Would it be up to a ref to make a subjective call on a pitcher if they purposefully and obviously delayed the game (waiting for a rain-out call or?)?

-ERD50
Old 02-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My disappointment is baseball is (at least mostly for now) really the only sport without a clock. Unlike other sports where there is a game clock a game can theoretically go on and on. I know, for some, that's a negative. I see that as a positive bringing back memories of childhood watching an long extra inning game til the wee hours of the morning. Felt, like I was playing hooky.

Seems to me like baseball under to new commish is trying to be football.
Two others come to mind right away: volleyball and tennis. Both used to have rules that could result in matches lasting FOREVER. Both modified their "overtime" rules to limit it. The games survived.

A few posts up somebody quoted something like "the game will be unrecognizable". Uh, to me it already is. Watching MLB as a kid, in the pre-velcro days, guys didn't mess with their glove or shin guard every pitch. BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE THEM. To me, this auxiliary batters' equipment has cost at least 10 minutes per game. And then there are the 10 pitchers per contest, etc. Complete games anyone? Another 20 minutes.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote