Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ohtani autographed rookie card sold for $6,725.

Quote:
Los Angeles Angels rookie Shohei Ohtani has started his rookie season on fire, and the sports memorabilia world has taken notice.
According to Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, an autographed Topps rookie card of Ohtani sold for $6,725 on Monday.
"His autographed cards have tripled or quadrupled in the last two to three weeks," said Rick Probstein, whose company was the one to sell the card on eBay, per Rovell.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

He could be the real deal for years to come, but that's an awful price to buy a card for. Many things can happen along to way to drive the value down.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Can't beat fun at the old ballpark:

https://deadspin.com/astros-get-a-wa...lay-1827500180

Ball was foul, somehow rolled back fair.

That's some English on the spin .
Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #23

So once it hit the ground foul, the play is not dead? I’ve seen it hit fair and roll foul and since touched by the player was deemed in play, but never the other way around.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
So once it hit the ground foul, the play is not dead? I’ve seen it hit fair and roll foul and since touched by the player was deemed in play, but never the other way around.
If no one touches, ball is still in play. A ball could start off foul and move to fair, like this play or vice versa. If defender touched the ball when it was foul, then the ball is foul. Same for when ball is fair.

The deek move was good hustle by the batter. By doing that, the catcher bobbled and dropped the ball. Many batters would have just given up.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If no one touches, ball is still in play. A ball could start off foul and move to fair, like this play or vice versa. If defender touched the ball when it was foul, then the ball is foul. Same for when ball is fair.
Right. I think it has to happen before it crosses 1st or 3rd base.

IIRC the Royals used to bunt a lot, and the groundskeeper would build up just a bit of earth along the foul lines to try to bring a ball back into play, even without spin. Not sure that is still allowed but there is a lot a groundskeeper can do. Mow the infield grass long or short to their team's advantage. Soak the base paths, especially off 1B, to slow down a base stealer. The Twins used to keep the dirt in front of home plate rock hard because Rod Carew used to hit a lot of grounders there, and instead of being a ball the pitcher or a middle infielder could field, it's bounce off hard and make it into the outfield for a hit. The Twins later also manipulated fans that kept the dome inflated to blow more toward the fences when the home team was batting.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Can't beat fun at the old ballpark:

https://deadspin.com/astros-get-a-wa...lay-1827500180

Ball was foul, somehow rolled back fair.

That's some English on the spin .

I watched it live. It was fricking awesome!! Go Stros!!

I’m used to seeing them win with a walkoff home run or line drive. But, a walkoff hit that only went about five feet from the plate is something I don’t ever expect to see again.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing like a win on an unearned run in extra innings!
Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

No look pass in baseball....

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/video/baezs...p/c-2265839083
Houston ... We Have a Problem!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Houston ... We Have a Problem!

The Red Sox vs Astros game last night, IMO is proof that baseball and instant replay doesn't mix. I'd be happy to go back to the old days and scrap instant replay in baseball entirely.

On the game itself, an Astros fan pretty much pulled a Steve Batman on a ball that looked like could have been a home run if he didn't bump into the glove of the outfielder. The ump called fan interference and there wasn't a conclusive angle to overturn the call.

As an unbiased fan of either team, I think the fan didn't reach over. So, in that case, a ground ruled double.

Quote:
HOUSTON – How ironic. In a playoff series in which the baseball world buzzed about the Houston Astros' alleged cheating via video surveillance, it may wind up being a lack of video that does them in.
The Astros are now clinging to life support, clawing to retain their World Series title. They are just one loss away from packing up for the winter and heading home after their 8-6 loss to the Boston Red Sox in Game 4 of this American League Championship Series on Wednesday night.
Jose Altuve blasted what looked to be a two-run homer three batters into the bottom of the first inning Wednesday night, a rocket that would have erased the two-spot Boston sprung for in the top of the frame. But right field umpire and crew chief Joe West ruled that fans in the front row in right field reached over the railing and interfered with Mookie Betts' effort to catch the ball, which plopped back onto the field.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral
Old 10-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

we totally got jobbed on that call
Old 10-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
we totally got jobbed on that call
I think it was a great call.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

As an unbiased fan of either team, I think the fan didn't reach over. So, in that case, a ground ruled double.
Didn't see it, and can't tell from that angle.

But if the fan didn't reach over, isn't it in the stands for a homer?

And if he did reach over, it's interference? (out)

Not seeing how it can be a ground rule double.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

we will have to agree to disagree

in any event, was that the longest 9 inning game ever? i think it lasted 6 hours
Old 10-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Joe West should be MVP if Boston wins the series - ball was well over the yellow line
Old 10-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Didn't see it, and can't tell from that angle.

But if the fan didn't reach over, isn't it in the stands for a homer?

And if he did reach over, it's interference? (out)

Not seeing how it can be a ground rule double.
Can't tell 100 % if the ball was over the fence or not. I think looks more like over, but can't say for sure. If fan touches (didn't he touch the ball?) the ball, if ball was live, isn't that a ground rule double? No? Or is that still live?

Regardless, what gets me is instant replay in baseball isn't as perfected as in football. Many times, I've seen when a replay isn't conclusive, but the folks in NY end up overruling what was called on the field anyhow. Need some consistency.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

Joe West should be MVP if Boston wins the series - ball was well over the yellow line
Joe West has a way of injecting himself into the outcome of games .
Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

As an Astro's person (live in Houston area), let me say that giving up 8 runs in a playoff game is not a recipe for winning.

Also, if I was King, I would proclaim that the row of seats in EVERY ballpark that are adjacent to the field of play would be left unoccupied for all games.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #38

If the guy in the orange shirt has his hand one inch in front of the wall (in the field of play) and touched the fielder, it is an out. If his hands stayed behind the wall it is a homer. The umpire ruled his hands were into the field of play, I have seen nothing that shows me anything different. Even the picture looks like he is into the field of play.

The only way it would be a ground rule double is if the ball bounced in the field of play first which certainly did not happen.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
If the guy in the orange shirt has his hand one inch in front of the wall (in the field of play) and touched the fielder, it is an out. If his hands stayed behind the wall it is a homer. The umpire ruled his hands were into the field of play, I have seen nothing that shows me anything different. Even the picture looks like he is into the field of play.

The only way it would be a ground rule double is if the ball bounced in the field of play first which certainly did not happen.
Thx for the explanation about what is ground ruled double or not.

In that case, my eyes say should have been a home run as I think ball was over the fence. But since Joe West ruled it out, and no clear angle to overturn, then has to stay out.

IMO, wrong initial call, but according to rules, shouldn't overturn.

I missed the old days where managers get kick dirt, throw bases and get tossed over these type of plays .
Old 10-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #40

Quote:

In that case, my eyes say should have been a home run as I think ball was over the fence. But since Joe West ruled it out, and no clear angle to overturn, then has to stay out.

IMO, wrong initial call, but according to rules, shouldn't overturn.
The ball was definitely over the fence, the question was it past the fence.