Baseball 2018

Go Cubbies!
Was sorry to see Brewers closer Knebel go down hard last night in the ninth. Too bad, he was just getting some innings in, and game was out of reach already.

I would not call a misplay on the pitcher, the way I look at it there is rarely an error called on a pitch on a reaction play like that.

True, not sure what the ruling was. But I would have called it a hit, error on second baseman, no error on outfielder.

I have already enjoyed two in-person games this season. The Braves moved to a new stadium last season and there are lots of options for food/drink around the stadium now..they have done a good with it. It's also a smaller stadium, so it's more intimate and even the cheapest seats are pretty good.

Plus, the new stadium is much closer to home, so an Uber ride can be had for about $10. :)

That's an error on the pitcher. It was a softly hit line drive directly to the pitcher, eminently catchable, even ticked off his glove. This allowed the hitter to reach base. Since there were two out, Baez was running on contact and would have made it to third. There should be an error on the CF since he bobbled the ball allowing Baez to score (he ran through the third base coach's stop sign.) Didn't see if the batter-runner advanced to second base on the throw home, but he should have. If he didn't it was a mistake. So two fielding errors on the defense and likely two mental errors on the offense--one for the batter-runner for failing to advance to second base, and one on Baez for disobeying the third base coach's instruction.

My son has a saying for plays like these--"This is the Major Leagues?"

The defensive plays have really gone downhill in MLB over the past 10 years or so, and accelerated in the past 3 to 5 years.

That's an error on the pitcher. It was a softly hit line drive directly to the pitcher, eminently catchable, even ticked off his glove. This allowed the hitter to reach base. Since there were two out, Baez was running on contact and would have made it to third. There should be an error on the CF since he bobbled the ball allowing Baez to score (he ran through the third base coach's stop sign.) Didn't see if the batter-runner advanced to second base on the throw home, but he should have. If he didn't it was a mistake. So two fielding errors on the defense and likely two mental errors on the offense--one for the batter-runner for failing to advance to second base, and one on Baez for disobeying the third base coach's instruction.

The defensive plays have really gone downhill in MLB over the past 10 years or so, and accelerated in the past 3 to 5 years.

Just checked. Box score had 2 errors on 2nd baseman (not sure on same play or separate) and one on CF.

Just read the pitcher did not get an error.... and I would not have expected one for him.... he had almost no time to catch.... I doubt there are many pitchers who would have caught that ball.....

I also give an error on the outfielder since his mistake allowed the run....

Kudos to the runner for NOT stopping.... the 3rd base coach was signaling that the center fielder was about to pick up the ball and to not run... but the runner was looking and saw he did miss, so ran.... there is no time to take a look at the coach and wait to be told to run.... just do it...

It was a close play at home and I would say the same thing even if he were thrown out....

BTW GO Stros!!!! And GO Rockets.... hope to have 2 champions here at the same time....

Normally every season, I start off with a new sense of optimism. Unfortunately, as a Rangers fan, I am not feeling that way this year, but hey, this is baseball so you never know.

I would have called it a hit, error on 2nd baseman to allow runner to third, error on CF to allow runner home..

My decision to not rule error on CF is because even after bobble, I think a good throw would have still got Baez out. Baez did make a terrific slide just in time. Folks don't give errors to throws off the mark.

I do see how though the official scorer could say, if not bobble then there wouldn't even be a play at the plate. So, I'm fine with error on CF.

Normally every season, I start off with a new sense of optimism. Unfortunately, as a Rangers fan, I am not feeling that way this year, but hey, this is baseball so you never know.

Optimism? I question if you’re actually a Ranger fan... [emoji12]

Two words: Shohei Ohtani

Season only a week in, but he looks Good.

Three home runs, and carried a perfect game to the 7th :cool:.

Ohtani autographed rookie card sold for $6,725.

Los Angeles Angels rookie Shohei Ohtani has started his rookie season on fire, and the sports memorabilia world has taken notice.
According to Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, an autographed Topps rookie card of Ohtani sold for $6,725 on Monday.
"His autographed cards have tripled or quadrupled in the last two to three weeks," said Rick Probstein, whose company was the one to sell the card on eBay, per Rovell.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

He could be the real deal for years to come, but that's an awful price to buy a card for. Many things can happen along to way to drive the value down.

So once it hit the ground foul, the play is not dead? I’ve seen it hit fair and roll foul and since touched by the player was deemed in play, but never the other way around.

So once it hit the ground foul, the play is not dead? I’ve seen it hit fair and roll foul and since touched by the player was deemed in play, but never the other way around.

If no one touches, ball is still in play. A ball could start off foul and move to fair, like this play or vice versa. If defender touched the ball when it was foul, then the ball is foul. Same for when ball is fair.

The deek move was good hustle by the batter. By doing that, the catcher bobbled and dropped the ball. Many batters would have just given up.

Last edited:
If no one touches, ball is still in play. A ball could start off foul and move to fair, like this play or vice versa. If defender touched the ball when it was foul, then the ball is foul. Same for when ball is fair.
Right. I think it has to happen before it crosses 1st or 3rd base.

IIRC the Royals used to bunt a lot, and the groundskeeper would build up just a bit of earth along the foul lines to try to bring a ball back into play, even without spin. Not sure that is still allowed but there is a lot a groundskeeper can do. Mow the infield grass long or short to their team's advantage. Soak the base paths, especially off 1B, to slow down a base stealer. The Twins used to keep the dirt in front of home plate rock hard because Rod Carew used to hit a lot of grounders there, and instead of being a ball the pitcher or a middle infielder could field, it's bounce off hard and make it into the outfield for a hit. The Twins later also manipulated fans that kept the dome inflated to blow more toward the fences when the home team was batting.

Back
Top Bottom