Basement Floor Finishing Options

Never put one in myself but we had them all over the place where I used to w*rk. I have seen them installed and repaired many times.

The grinder is to give you a level flat surface. The epoxy will mirror the surface that it is put on so bumps, cracks and other imperfections will be seen in the final coat. I have also seen them grind the final epoxy coat to get rid of ripples and other places that are rough. The stuff is a bit tricky to work with as I recall and smells very strong so get vapor mask and plenty of fresh air. I can't imagine doing a basement with this stuff but it will be a showpiece when you are finished.

My limited experience is that I cheaped out and used a latex based garage floor paint on mine and it peeled off as soon as it got really wet, so definitely go with epoxy if you do it. I was also told that epoxy can be really slippery and that sand should added to make the surface slightly gritty. My $0.02

Never put one in myself but we had them all over the place where I used to w*rk. I have seen them installed and repaired many times.

The grinder is to give you a level flat surface. The epoxy will mirror the surface that it is put on so bumps, cracks and other imperfections will be seen in the final coat. I have also seen them grind the final epoxy coat to get rid of ripples and other places that are rough. The stuff is a bit tricky to work with as I recall and smells very strong so get vapor mask and plenty of fresh air. I can't imagine doing a basement with this stuff but it will be a showpiece when you are finished.

You said that you saw these floors repaired many times. I've been considering doing this type of floor in my garage and not sure if I should attempt it myself. What type of repairs are usually done to them once the job is finished.

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish with the finishing. Is this for appearance, durability or some other purpose?

I'd recommend aliphatic polyurethane over epoxy. Epoxy has some problems with some chemicals (like battery acid) and can yellow from UV. Epoxy can also be challenging to apply to older concrete that may have stains or other problems. The poly is easy to prepare and put down, is self priming, and has very low/no VOCs.

FAQ on 100% Solids Polyurethane Coatings
Kemiko - Rembrandt

You said that you saw these floors repaired many times. I've been considering doing this type of floor in my garage and not sure if I should attempt it myself. What type of repairs are usually done to them once the job is finished.

Chip repairs, cracks in the top coat, discoloration from chemicals, and impact damage. But this was in an industrial setting. Having this in a residential basement would put far less stress on the floor and it might last much longer.

Poly over epoxy paint would be easier but the surface would still have to be very smooth or it will show through.

Back
Top Bottom