Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you presently have a basement?
Yes, I have a basement and like having one. 44 52.38%
Yes, I have a basement but wish I didn't. 4 4.76%
No, I do not have a basement and don't want one. 16 19.05%
No, I do not have a basement but I think it would be neat to have one. 16 19.05%
The previous four choices just don't fit for some reason but I wanted to vote. 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Plastic sheeting on the ground is a good idea for a crawl space. It keeps the moisture down in the floor above the crawlspace.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #62
Buying a lot and building the basement first was not unheard of around here in western PA. Especially post-WWII when materials were harder to get and mortgages were something to be avoided, especially by immigrants and first generation Americans. The men worked in the mills and mines but wanted to move a little further out in what was then the country. They built the basement and the family moved in. The house was finished over time with their own labor or subcontracted to others who did the work as a second job. Rarely did the homes have a mortgage and the kids grew up on suburban plots and went to schools out of the urban centers. Some of them kept the habit of cooking and bathing in the basement so as to keep the upstairs a pristine showplace.

WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #63
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
When I was a kid in St. Louis (before we moved to Hawaii) we had a huge, more or less unfinished basement. The main room was big, probably 40'x50' and mostly empty.
My Dad's family was from St. Louis and we lived there (U-City) for a while when I was really young. I remember the basement in the apartment house where a friend lived, and it was massive. We played rubber band gun wars in there all the time, and games of hide & seek had to start with a clarification if basements were out of bounds or not.

Most of the rest of my life has been somewhere without basements, although I knew some kids when I was living in Colorado whose home was a basement without a house on top of it. The "roof" was a concrete slab that stuck above ground level about a foot. Some small basement windows around the sides, and a door at normal level that opened to an enclosed staircase down to their "home" Weird house and a weird family - Mom didn't like me being over at their house too much at all.

Basements are impractical in Houston. Some people claim that there are some homes with basements here, but I've never seen one. I'd love to have the space for a rec room with a full sized pool table.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #64
Leonidas, don't know about all of Houston, but Bellaire is built on what they call "gumbo" which, to outsiders, means the soil is part dirt/part sand. A basement there would just cave in!
Please consider adopting a rescue animal. So very many need a furr-ever home and someone to love them! And if we all spay/neuter our pets there won't be an overpopulation to put to death.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
We had a basement in the first apartment we ever lived in and it was downright scary! I remember my mother asking my brother and I to go down there and get soda or other things she had stocked up on sale.....we would both go there together and then run up the stairs as fast as we could!
I don't want a house with a basement......I would be terrified.....that is where all the monsters and ax murderers hide for god's sake!
It is not for nothing that the French call it "le dongeon"!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.
No basements in Houston for the most part; the water table is too high! My brother lives in Atlanta and has a very cool finished basement. Laundry room is on the main level, though.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote