Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While all the Kerdi membrane systems are great, $569 for a basic shower kit is very expensive. I used their membrane on an outside balcony deck of my 36' screen porch and it's been leak free.

I have a buddy that's a lifelong commercial tile mason and bathroom remodeler, and he's found the Redgard on top of cement backer board to work great. He's never had a single leak in shower walls or in floorpans.

For my bath floor, I'm going to apply 2 coats of Redgard to my Wonderboard cement board. The grandkids sometimes get a little carried away splashing in the tub.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #62

How does wedi board compare to dens shield? DH chose the latter after significant research. But I know he looked at wedi board as well.

Totally agree on the big, extra tall niche. We shop at costco so we had to make sure the niches were tall enough for the jumbo shampoos/rinses.

Another tip - if you're moving plumbing... add in shut off valves someplace accessible. Our house was built in the early 60's and didn't have shut off valves anywhere. Now we have them under each sink and built a panel into the back of the new linen cupboard with hot/cold shut off valves for the entire bathroom (including shower).

Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... Lots of bright lights inside the shower, too.
Why? While taking a shower, is there really something you want to see in a bright light?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It all depends on who you are showering with....
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Why? While taking a shower, is there really something you want to see in a bright light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It all depends on who you are showering with....
Even then...a bright light? What exactly might you be looking for?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Even then...a bright light? What exactly might you be looking for?
Dirt to wash off that you might have missed?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
These friends renovated their master and guest baths at the same time (one after the other) and when the contractor took out the one-piece fiberglass tub to replace it they discovered that there were NO studs in the wall behind the tub. The funny part was that a year or two earlier my friend had tried to hang something on the other side of that wall behind the tub and couldn't find a stud with her stud-finder so she concluded that the stud-finder was broken and threw it away!
When I took up the tile in the powder room in our last house, I discovered the plumbers had cut the floor joist to make room for the toilet drain. The only thing holding up the joist was the subfloor! Even funnier, we had a house inspector inspect the house. He noticed that toilet was not tight and went in the crawl space to make sure it was not leaking. He didn't say a word about the joist being cut. Just said it was not leaking. It was leaking when I replaced the floor tile and the subfloor was rotted around the toilet and had to be replaced along with the joist being shored up.

Moral of this story: Expect the unexpected when you remodel.

Another hint: Make sure they put concrete board (Durarock, etc.) around the shower and not dry wall.