Baths/tubs

So youse submariners didn't have salt water showers? WW2 can i was on for my first cruise ended up w/ a lack of fresh water (some sort of boiler issues) and we got salt water showers for a while in Westpac. Not real gratifying when the idea is to reduce the crust from spray after standing bridge wing watches.
Nope, no salt showers.

The goal was to cut water usage to 20 gallons per day per person (which reduced wear & tear on the evaporator). That included water used for cooking, dishwashing, and laundry. Even at 1-2 showers per week it's more challenging than you'd expect.

The toilets are flushed with salt water. The engineering spaces have any number of handy valves to obtain salt water for a birdbath, but it doesn't soap up very well and it can really irritate the skin. Of course if it's a choice of hydraulic oil, bilges, or carbon dust then I'll take the salt water.

Nope, no salt showers.

The goal was to cut water usage to 20 gallons per day per person (which reduced wear & tear on the evaporator). That included water used for cooking, dishwashing, and laundry. Even at 1-2 showers per week it's more challenging than you'd expect.

The toilets are flushed with salt water. The engineering spaces have any number of handy valves to obtain salt water for a birdbath, but it doesn't soap up very well and it can really irritate the skin. Of course if it's a choice of hydraulic oil, bilges, or carbon dust then I'll take the salt water.

I'm going to call shenanigans on my salt water shower story. I remember the sea water flush toilets, but am having a hard time thinking that the plumbing would be rigged to accept sea water into the fresh water system for the showers. Seems that the shower water would have common plumbing with the sinks, and drinking sea water isn't really a good thing. Of course it's the Navy, so it could have been that the plumbing could have been so rigged, but there is a growing seed of doubt in me that we were actually showering in sea water.

What's the point of having one of those cool tubs if you can't use Bubble Bath? Is there something special about the type you had, or did she just use too much?

Our tub is a true whirlpool (i.e., the water swirls around the tub creating a vortex that provides the massaging action), so adding bubble bath to the water was akin to putting too much dishwashing detergent into a running blender full of water! It wasn't big, billowing bubbles...it was more like a continual flow of thick foam -- and it didn't take too much BB to get this end result!

The mfg claims you can use BB in this tub, but after this episode, we moved on to bath salts instead!

Back
Top Bottom