Join Early Retirement Today

"Batnado" observations
Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
"Batnado" observations

We visited the home of the largest population of mammals in the world a couple of days ago. Bracken bat cave is the current home of about twenty million Mexican freetail bats that create their own "batnado" every evening on their way to dinner.

It was quite an exhibition of a natural occurrence that has been going on for about 10,000 years.

If you are ever in the area, it might not be a good idea to pay a visit and be impressed.
Bracken Cave

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
We visited the home of the largest population of mammals in the world a couple of days ago. Bracken bat cave is the current home of about twenty million Mexican freetail bats that create their own "batnado" every evening on their way to dinner.

It was quite an exhibition of a natural occurrence that has been going on for about 10,000 years.

If you are ever in the area, it might not be a good idea to pay a visit and be impressed.
Bracken Cave
Well. even though it might not be a good idea, I'm putting it on my bucket list. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Always amazing, isn't it? We saw the one at Carsbad caverns. At first, just one or two, and then BAM, they they all come.

I always wonder how this works. Does some wise-guy leader say, "Wake up boys and girls, time for dinner!" and get the colony going?

I see the same thing every morning on my walks with Canadian geese. They sit there on the water squawking away. Finally, one of them gets his butt in the air and the rest follow. How does the conversation go? Are they encouraging each other or complaining about having to wake up and fly for breakfast?

Got to love nature's show. And the show is right priced for LBYM.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Used to love to watch the starlings weave their black "aurora" many mornings on my way to w*rk. Truly stunning and difficult to figure out how it all happens.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cool. Definitely putting it on my bucket list.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Does some wise-guy leader say, "Wake up boys and girls, time for dinner!" and
get the colony going?
My observations were that about 15 minutes prior to the gang departing the cave a few "scouts" depart. If they do not return, the rest of the 20, 000,000 take it as a good sign and begin to fly in circles creating a "batnado".

Also saw a red tail hawk dive into the mass of airborne animals hunting for dinner while a nearby tree had a big owl observing the event and (no doubt) making plans for dinner also.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bats are awesome. I have a bat house up high on the side of my barn and at dusk a few fly out to check things out then a bunch come out. During the summer I can stroll around my property without dealing with Mosquitos, as bats can eat thousands in a short period of time.

Wild Irish Rogue
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

As a kid back in the midwest I recall the first bats of the evening coming out in summer to pick off the various bugs which inhabit the night. It was fascinating to watch them dart and change directions at will. I would sometimes pitch a walnut or acorn, etc. into their midst to watch them "attack" (until they realized I had played a joke on them.) Surprised I was not "rewarded" with a guano storm for my cruelty (Probably still have some karma to work off all these years later.) I guess their revenge took place last year when one of the little creatures made it from the attic to the living room. I had to open all the doors and let her (her mouth was open - that's how I know) find her way into the night. So glad DW was not home to freak out.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote