Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hmm, I had different data...

a. Two Big Macs (1,080 calories)
b. Two Egg McMuffins (600 calories)
c. One large chocolate shake (1,160 calories)
d. Four regular hamburgers (1,000 calories)

Ah I see the problem, you had data from the 16oz "medium", this is for the 32oz "extra large".
My egg mcmuffin is higher because, well, eggs are gross if you don't have sausage with them.

Gosh, I didn't realize they served extra large shakes... since the original question was for large, how big is that? 24 oz? Either way

The two big macs having more calories than the four regular burgers doesn't surprise me... I'd imagine you're getting more bun with the four burgers but the big mac has that special sauce on it, right? Maybe I'm thinking of some other food place...
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it has the thousand island dressing special sauce, plus two slices of cheese each, plus four (two each) of the exact same hamburger patties used in the 'hamburger'. Only thing you're saving is six slices of bun instead of eight. Oh and I think the hamburger has mayo on it.

Given all that, i'm surprised they're that close.

The sizes are 12/16/24/32 oz.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yes, it has the thousand island dressing special sauce, plus two slices of cheese each, plus four (two each) of the exact same hamburger patties used in the 'hamburger'. Only thing you're saving is six slices of bun instead of eight. Oh and I think the hamburger has mayo on it.

Given all that, i'm surprised they're that close.

The sizes are 12/16/24/32 oz.
According to McDonalds, the hamburger just has ketchup.
McDonald's USA - USA Core Menu Items by Ingredients

If yours has mayo on it then either it's a regional thing (are you sure you're in Cali and not Canada?) or you ticked off the prep guy and he added a little special sauce to your burger.

I'd expect their special sauce to have HFCS and milk solids... but I wouldn't be surprised if the ketchup has HFCS as well, which probably keeps them close.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Gosh its been a bunch of decades since I made mcdonalds food, but I thought we were putting mustard, mayo and ketchup on them.

I see where the uptick comes from by looking at the mcdonalds corporate nutritional info. Couple of hundred extra calories from the extra buns involved in the four hamburgers and only 90 for the special sauce vs 10 for the ketchup, and 50 per big mac for the cheese.

So on one side 210 and on the other 190 for the sauce and cheese.

I guess the magic secret is to skip the sauces and buns, and just eat the mad cow patty.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Okay, back to the subject at hand. We bought the can-o-batter at our local Meijer store and tried the stuff out today.

Survey says: Initial reports are confirmed. Very convenient and pretty darn tasty, too. We'll be buying it again, thanks for the tip CFB.

By the way--I'm feeling a little guilty about the whole thing. How lazy can one get? Is this the way my Mom would have made pancakes for us? Still, I can't stop my slothful thoughts. Now I'm wondering if I could put aluminum foil in the griddle to save even having to clean it. I'm not proud that these thoughts have entered my consciousness, and I wonder how far down I'll go.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

samclem, you are obviously moving to the left, quit asking what society can do for you! Now get out there with the flint and start up that homefire, you should have dinner ready in about 4 hours.

Batter blaster and bean grinding coffee maker = happy family saturday morning breakfast around the kitchen table = priceless.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We had the absolute ultra lazy breakfast this morning.

Teamed up the batter blaster pancakes with the precooked jimmy dean turkey breakfast sausage links (also from Costco) and shredded southwest hash browns from a bag.

My wife says I should be ashamed of myself, but it was hard to understand what she was saying between the gobbling and yummy noises she was making while she was eating it.

Those sausages are pretty good for low fat non pork products. Also highly recommended.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I had a diet coke and an old piece of candy.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Hey, those are convenience foods...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I had an apple and coffee. I suppose that's a convenience food too, but somehow it didn't thrill me too much.

CFB, you're just going to have to make all of us breakfast someday. I want real maple syrup on my b.b. pancakes so I'd better not eat for a week beforehand.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

After prowling the aisles again i finally asked. Salem Ore Costco employees denied all knowledge of Batter Blaster. Bummer.
1C Bisquick
1/2 C milk
1 egg
bit of sugar
lemon juice
baking soda
Beat
Baked on flat rock near fire started by lightning strike
cover with bee juice
We be frontier folk up here.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I want real maple syrup on my b.b. pancakes so I'd better not eat for a week beforehand.
Hell yeah! Costco sells it in half gallon jugs for about $9!

In fact, we're down to the last inch or so of that jug I bought last year...better put that on the list!

I do have to admit to liking the grade B instead of the grade A amber that costco sells. The grade B is a lot darker, thicker and IMO tastier.

But that maple flavored corn syrup sucks.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

I have to agree, the "B" stuff is tastier, but I'm still pretty happy with my jug o' maple from Costco.

Oh, did I mention we are buying that Black Box wine you recommended? WalMart sells it for under $20 and it's as good as any $10 bottle of wine, especially the Chardonnay.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, as box wines go its pretty good. I got a killer deal on it about a year ago...on sale for $15.xx with a $10.00 off coupon stuck to each box.

Just dont have it with your breakfast. I'm not sure theres a good wine pairing with pancakes and bacon...
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #55
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Yeah, as box wines go its pretty good. I got a killer deal on it about a year ago...on sale for $15.xx with a $10.00 off coupon stuck to each box.

Just dont have it with your breakfast. I'm not sure theres a good wine pairing with pancakes and bacon...
Champagne goes with everything.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, DW could since she consults from home, unfortunately I have to drive into work! The nice thing about a quality box wine is if we are just interested in one (1) glass of wine, we don't wreck a bottle, since it always moves towards vinegar within 24 hours. And if we want 3+ there is plenty.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

As part of the "national update your posts day", I officially report that Batter Blaster is still darn tasty and ridiculously convenient.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #58
gone traveling

Quote:
Nah, thats not the end of the universe as we know it....this is...deep fried dough, covered in maple glaze and...of course...bacon!
There you go again, attempted threadjacking with a maple bar...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but its MY thread and at least *I* started the maple bar madness, rather than being blamed for bullying when someone else did it first.

I want to be the primary donut bully.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #60
gone traveling

Pancake Heresy?

Well, I tried the aerosol pancake batter, and can't say that I like it. The first couple looked like grilled beige shaving cream, on subsequent squirts the texture improved somewhat . Unfortunately, the taste really didn't..... they were rubbery. Back to lumpy old Bisquick for me. Any luck finding aerosol bacon?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote