Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
This is a mistake. At my previous residence I used to scatter birdseed on the ground to attract birds. This worked, but it also attracted mice and rats (HUGE rats). Some hungry animal got the bright idea to chew holes through all of the screens in my condo to get inside, and one of them climbed onto the kitchen table and gnawed holes in a tomato sitting there. Since then, I have a strict policy against attracting vermin.
A buddy of mine did the same thing with bears.

He had to cover his doors and windows with hog panels.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you have stray and/or feral feeders in your neighborhood, and pretty much everyone does, TNR is the most effective form of population control and the most humane. The sterilized colony sticks to the feeder's property, and the feeder is no longer running the cat equivalent of the Friday night singles bar in your neighborhood. Alter enough cats, and the breeding process is disrupted, similar to the government releasing a few million sterile mosquitoes into a population many times that for mosquito control. The population declines over time, as long as new arrivals are trapped and altered diligently.

You can't stop the folks that feel sorry for the cats from feeding, no matter what the law or the HOA rules say. They just hide what they are doing from the snooping neighbors or animal control officer. TNR stops most of the behavior issues. Trap and dump means you will be doing that every year for as long as you live in the neighborhood. The population is reestablished within a few months.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

AR: you did a much better job of explaining this then I did.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

My wife feeds a couple of stray cats.... we also have a few opossum and at least one raccoon and too many squirrels....

The two cats that eat are very good at chasing away any other cat... I have seen one of 'ours' chase one 5 houses down... I have also seen him chase a racoon away....

I cannot do anything as DW loves all the critters for some reason... but at least we only have 2...

BTW, even if you got rid of any around, the gap will be filled eventually with others... there is no way to permanently get rid of stray cats....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #25

Had a similar problem with a single cat abandoned by the prior owner of the home we bought. Cat would stand outside and Meow at the top of her lungs in the middle of the night. Trapped with a humane trap, and drove to the OTHER side of the interstate (about 10 miles), to a farm type area. Released cat. Never saw it again.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #26

I could use a cat or two up here. The mice are a real pain. Trouble is, cats don't last very long up here. Too many coyotes and mountain lions.
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

we had good result by letting one in and feeding it inside. Much quieter now and uses a litter box instead of the pea gravel in the walk.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I could use a cat or two up here. The mice are a real pain. Trouble is, cats don't last very long up here. Too many coyotes and mountain lions.
This. Catch a coyote and bring him/her into the hood. Problem solved.

After a bunch of strays started showing up we started live trapping and taking to the Humane shelter. They would poke a pencil in the cage. If the stray hissed 7 attacked it was a stray. If they started rubbing against then pencil they were domesticated and could be "saved"

Took about a month. Helped along by the coyotes too
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
If you have stray and/or feral feeders in your neighborhood, and pretty much everyone does, TNR is the most effective form of population control and the most humane. The sterilized colony sticks to the feeder's property, and the feeder is no longer running the cat equivalent of the Friday night singles bar in your neighborhood. Alter enough cats, and the breeding process is disrupted, similar to the government releasing a few million sterile mosquitoes into a population many times that for mosquito control. The population declines over time, as long as new arrivals are trapped and altered diligently.

You can't stop the folks that feel sorry for the cats from feeding, no matter what the law or the HOA rules say. They just hide what they are doing from the snooping neighbors or animal control officer. TNR stops most of the behavior issues. Trap and dump means you will be doing that every year for as long as you live in the neighborhood. The population is reestablished within a few months.
+1 My wife did this in our neighborhood for 17 cats. It had an amazing impact. Anything else and you are just kicking the can down the road. If you are too lazy, find someone who isn't. My wife would probably help you
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just out of curiosity, why not? It's an easy solution. Garden hose and device. It works fairly well against the geese in our neighborhood, and they like water. I guess if you're xeriscapers or something like that it might not be a solution, but otherwise...
I have to run about 3 hoses about 20 - 30 yards to cover all litter boxes. My front & side yards are too narrow and spraying water can hit people walking around. I live in California where drought watch is still on.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Rob, if your local humane society does this program they will have a volunteer come to your house to do this.
I might have to look into this if things don't work out.

I have been keeping score since I started actively battling the cats.
  • Number of times I've seen my cat in the back yard - 0. Hooray!
  • Number of times I've seen my cat at my front porch - 2. Hmm. Did more work here.
  • Number of times I've seen my cat at my side yard - 1. Did more work here today.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in a rural area and have cats show up on occasion. We implement our CRP when that happens. Cat Relocation Program. No problems getting them into the live trap with some cat food and drive them about 10 miles to a new home. Please note this also stands for Coon Relocation Program.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
A 220 conibear trap works best. Put a fishhead on the trigger and no worries.
AAA+++
Old 10-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

best option is to get someone from a local humane society to do TNR as others have described............an interim approach, and who knows it might work is to suggest TNR to your neighbor directly, or just leave a hanger note (many shelters have them) explaining TNR on their doorknob, if you don't think a verbal approach would work, or would generate more heat than enlightenment
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Well, 6 months ago, a new tenant moved in to the next door house. Unknown to us, they have been feeding stray cats by leaving dog food outside. Before I realized it, number of stray cats around our house increased and they have been using my side yards, back yards as litter box. When the cats started to use my artificial golf greens as litter box, that was the last draw and I hit the youtube & google to figure out how to repel the cats. The fight to regain my territory has begun.

First, I used a commercial product to spray around the house. It worked for a couple of days and I had to spray it again. I knew then that it was not going to be a long term solution. It was expensive, smelled bad for us and not good for our vegetation.

Next, I bought solar powered ultra sound "cat stop" devices and put them facing the oft used litter boxes. Well, that stopped the cats from defecating on those spots. But the cats still run around everywhere as they owned the place.

Then, we made homemade spray (lemon juice, vinegar, rosemary mix) and sprayed it around. We also scattered rosemary leaves, branches around the border between the two houses. We may do the same with lemon peels. Meanwhile, we are anxiously waiting for the result.

DW and I don't love stray cats or any domestic pets. Cats give us the creeps (sorry, cat lovers). I hope things work out well and I get my territory back. No more poop smells around my house - knock on wood.

Just curious whether you've tried talking with your neighbor? Perhaps they aren't aware of the problems being created and would willingly help.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Please contact a local no-kill cat shelter. They will assist in trapping the cats. Many could be adopted out, others TNRed as described above. I work with a local shelter and our volunteers are often called out to deal with large cat colonies.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Just curious whether you've tried talking with your neighbor? Perhaps they aren't aware of the problems being created and would willingly help.
They stopped leaving out their dog food where cats can get at them.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
Please contact a local no-kill cat shelter. They will assist in trapping the cats. Many could be adopted out, others TNRed as described above. I work with a local shelter and our volunteers are often called out to deal with large cat colonies.
^^^^This
Old 10-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #39

An interesting article from Smithsonian about the impact of outside cats and TNR. In Nature, human emotion is not a part of the solution.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...-year-7814590/
Old 10-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #40
gone traveling

don't spill antifreeze in a small tuna can and leave it.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote