And now you wanna give 'em back

'Cause I've been down hearted, baby
Ever since the day we met
I said, our love is nothing but the blues
Baby, how blue can you get?

Read more: B.B. King - How Blue Can You Get Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Last edited:
Wow. People keep passing over.

We had a great experience: BB King and the UT Jazz Orchestra in the UT Performing Arts hall (Bass Hall). Amazing concert. 20 years ago now, I think.

DW saw BB perform at a small club in the Detroit area 40 some years ago. She got a hug from the man himself and a touch from Lucille.

'68 thru 72' attended Butler University. Was pulling an 'all-nighter', and listening to the local Black station (WTLC), which played mostly jazz (just wanted some background music that wouldn't distract me unlike the rock&roll I usually listened to). At 12AM, disc jockey played "Midnight" (8+ minutes) off of B.B.'s album "L.A. Midnight". I was blown away and went out the next day and bought the album and have been a fan ever since. I was such a dumb 'hick from the sticks' that I didn't know anything about the Blues, and called it 'slow rock'.
Saw him live in 2000---great concert--Susan Tedeschi was the first act (later married Derek Trucks)--love their music too.
I rate B.B. third in my list of favorites, after Johnny Winter and Eric Clapton.
The big question--why don't I listen to music more often than I do?

I rate B.B. third in my list of favorites, after Johnny Winter and Eric Clapton.
The big question--why don't I listen to music more often than I do?

+1

Have reconnected with the blues since I picked up the guitar again after 40 years... bought me a Telecaster and just got a Parker Maxfly just to learn to bend those strings...

Loved B.B.'s brand of the blues. From what I've learned about blues history, most players, B.B., Chuck, Lightnin', Freddie, Buddy, Albert,et al...give homage to T Bone Walker... who played primarily in the 1st position scales.. amazing player..

From the NYTimes obit for B B King:
“Growing up on the plantation there in Mississippi, I would work Monday through Saturday noon,” he said. “I’d go to town on Saturday afternoons, sit on the street corner, and I’d sing and play.
“I’d have me a hat or box or something in front of me. People that would request a gospel song would always be very polite to me, and they’d say: ‘Son, you’re mighty good. Keep it up. You’re going to be great one day.’ But they never put anything in the hat.
“But people that would ask me to sing a blues song would always tip me and maybe give me a beer. They always would do something of that kind. Sometimes I’d make 50 or 60 dollars one Saturday afternoon. Now you know why I’m a blues singer.”

When I was just out of HS I was dating a young lady one year older than me. BB King was playing at the Aroga Ballroom in Atlanta down on Peachtree St. I was 17 but had a fake ID & she was 18. The drinking age in GA was 18 back then.

During a break, she wanted to go see if we could go backstage. The guys watching dressing room door looked at me...then her *extra curvy on the top* :cool:...and said "she can go in but not you".

She said OK and gave me a kiss telling me she would be right back. A little while later she came back said she got to say hello but that it was nothing to write home about.

Fast forward 25 years and I had started a blues band with some friends and the BB King Tune "She's Dynamite" was one I sang and played blues harp on. Lots of fun playing that tune. Another fav of his was "Paying the Cost to Be the Boss".

BB was fantastic and will be missed.

Last edited:
I saw him in a small club in Cincinnati, at the Chicago Blues Festival, and the New Orleans jazz & heritage festival. I still listen to his stuff every week.

Was lucky enough to see him at the Tyrone Guthrie theater in Minneapolis in the early 70s.

Never knew, until today, why BB King named his guitars Lucille.

Talented human being. DH and I were sad to learn of his poor health and demise. Lived in this state most of my life and never heard of Twist, AR. So much talent and so much stuff I do not know.

I'm playing what BB King I have in my music collection....smiling and crying.

What a musical legacy!

Think I'll get a wee dram of my best and raise a glass....sniff....

+1

Have reconnected with the blues since I picked up the guitar again after 40 years... bought me a Telecaster and just got a Parker Maxfly just to learn to bend those strings...

Loved B.B.'s brand of the blues. From what I've learned about blues history, most players, B.B., Chuck, Lightnin', Freddie, Buddy, Albert,et al...give homage to T Bone Walker... who played primarily in the 1st position scales.. amazing player..

Had to think about if I had ever seen BB King live. Yes, it was great (but a long time ago). Saw T Bone Walker's last concert at the same venue I believe.
RIP B. B. King, blues legend.

I had the extreme pleasure of hearing BB King live at the Stanley Theatre in Utica NY in 2006. A local artist named Midnite Mike (a friend of mine) opened for him.

What a performance BB gave. Wow :D

Back
Top Bottom