Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

BBQ Grill Traeger ..your favorite
Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BBQ Grill Traeger ..your favorite

For Fathers day my DS bought me a Traeger Junior grill . Now I had seen this thing on TV and really thought it was cool . Wood pellets and all. So Saturday morning we mowed and did our work around our country house and after that tackled assembling the Traeger , this super black magic grill !
It was not hard to put together everything fit and they actually sent you extra hardware . So here we go we plug it in , it drops the wood pellets begins cooking , set the heat run to store . You can't have BBQ without beer . When we came back our chicken quarters were all done . Wow this Traeger actually worked like they showed on TV . I am sold on Traeger wood fired grills.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

a guy at my golf club sells those in town and one of my neighbors has one and it works great - best ribs I've ever had on a grill
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We bought one last year at Costco. The jr size is just right for us. Love cooking/smoking meats/fish/bacon in it. DH uses is almost all year long.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Have had a Traeger for gosh maybe 8 years. Switched out the 3 setting temp to the current updated. Best ever for fish, putting a whole chicken on and walking away till perfectly cooked. Of course do ribs, the occasional brisket and frequently do pork shoulders or butts. I'm always tweaking the procedure. My next door neighbor smokes salmon on it all the time.

I also keep a gas grill for steaks, burgers, etc.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to one of their infomercials but fell back asleep before I could get the details (cost). Seem like it needs AC power for the convection fan? Is it less $$ than the green egg cookers?
Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Traeger and do mainly pulled pork, brisket and ribs. The longer the smoke the better. It's great!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #7

Traegers have a good reputation. Their owners seem to really like them.
Of course the same can be said for Big Green Eggs and a few other types.

I think the key is that if you enjoy using your grill, then you'll actually use it more and get more enjoyment out of it.

Happy BGE owner here.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Looks interesting. Glad it works for you as well as advertised. Can you buy different species of wood pellet?
I have a nice Weber charcoal grill and like to use different wood types for different meats.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much all you might want to know:

BBQ in general, very tutorial: Table of Contents

BBQ in general, lots of spirited but polite discussion: Q-talk - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Specializing in pellet grills: Pelletheads - Index Registration required and it can take some time as the owner of the forum recently died and the administrator is quite busy.

RE wood, lots of different types available. Some shady dealing, though. For example, Traeger "Mesquite" contains no mesquite, only "flavor oils." New Info on whats in Traeger Pellets Lumberjack pellets are, I believe, 100% genuine as labeled.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Pretty much all you might want to know:

BBQ in general, very tutorial: Table of Contents

BBQ in general, lots of spirited but polite discussion: Q-talk - The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Specializing in pellet grills: Pelletheads - Index Registration required and it can take some time as the owner of the forum recently died and the administrator is quite busy.

RE wood, lots of different types available. Some shady dealing, though. For example, Traeger "Mesquite" contains no mesquite, only "flavor oils." New Info on whats in Traeger Pellets Lumberjack pellets are, I believe, 100% genuine as labeled.
I need to comment, so I can find these links. I have some reading to do. We are BBQ rookies.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I need to comment, so I can find these links. I have some reading to do. We are BBQ rookies.
We all were at some point. Start with Meathead at amazingribs.com. Get your questions answered at bbqbrethren.com by searching and posting as necessary.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
...Can you buy different species of wood pellet?
Yes - I've used apple, hickory and I think mesquite, but they have a lot more varieties.

Traeger's Grilling & BBQ Wood Pellets | Traeger Wood Fired Grills
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I don't have one but I have many friends that do. They love them and are like salesmen when they are talking about their grills lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yes - I've used apple, hickory and I think mesquite, but they have a lot more varieties.

Traeger's Grilling & BBQ Wood Pellets | Traeger Wood Fired Grills
Be sure to check the link in my post #9 above. Many of Traeger's pellets are complete or partial fakes.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Costco had a Traeger promotional thing going on this week. I was in the market for a smoker, and ultimately didn’t want to deal with a Weber Mountain Smoker, so I thought I’d try the Traeger Elite Junior. Have read folks have had some trouble with these little things, so I hope I don’t run into that. It was in excellent condition in the box, so fingers crossed.