Join Early Retirement Today

Be Careful Ordering Free Kindle Books
Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Be Careful Ordering Free Kindle Books

I ordered a $7.69 Kindle book by mistake, thinking it was free. Amazon refunded my money, however.

I should have double-checked the price, but this happened because the sort by price function apparently doesn't always work right. Non-free books can appear within the list of free books:

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nice that Amazon refunded your money. I've heard their customer service for Kindles is really good. I have had trouble with sorting Kindle books by price before, too, maybe due to their software not taking recent price changes into account. But the only one I bought at a mistaken price like that was cheaper than I expected, so I didn't need customer service.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

One of the things I found out recently is that you can return any Kindle content within 7 days of purchase (after return it will disappear from your device). My son ordered a book that he thought was a regular novel but it turned out to be a graphic novel. Was able to return it with no problem.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It turns out that that book was sorted with the free ones because it is free as part of some promotion, that is if you buy something else.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've just started with our local library borrowing books through the Overdrive/Amazon service. It is pretty easy, though there are a couple of steps involved to get the book ordered.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
gone traveling

Also, be aware that prices are changed at midnight (don't remember what time zone).

That is something I read today while getting familiar with the K-Fire I just got.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I've just started with our local library borrowing books through the Overdrive/Amazon service. It is pretty easy, though there are a couple of steps involved to get the book ordered.
I have better luck getting good free books this way than with Kindle (but this book is very good so far). Of 10 free Kindle books I get, only one or two are OK.

My system is to browse the books, and fill up my waiting list (because all the good books are "out." 3 books max), and put some more books on the wish list.

When I get the email saying a book on the waiting list is available, I check it out for one week, then transfer another book to the waiting list.

I have the latest Ludlum book on hold, and am looking forward to that.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Heh, the first week I had my kindle my SIL searched for the most expensive books available and accidentally ordered one for over $3000. I knew it could be returned as a mistake but didn't let him know for several hours. Hee.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Al,

Thanks for the tip on free kindle books.

Diff subject, Shirley you're not doing screenshots from your kindle!? If so, how?
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Al,

Thanks for the tip on free kindle books.

Diff subject, Shirley you're not doing screenshots from your kindle!? If so, how?
I read with the Kindle reader on my iPod touch (don't have a Kindle), so that's how I do the screen shots.

And don't call me Shirley.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Classic...

Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it? Ted

Striker: Surely you can't be serious.

Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

I really thought Barnes & Noble was much better with free or discounted books but amazon is doing a good job with apps for the Fire . Lots of decent free ones .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote