Join Early Retirement Today

Beards
Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beards

Watching the world go by.

Zig Ziglar
Zig Ziglar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
came to our company when we had national meetings, with his motivational presentation. I can recall his words:

Quote:
Selling is just like shaving, If you don't do it every day, you're a bum!
Since then (30 years ago), I've always felt dirty, if I didn't shave... even for one day.

Times have changed. Today, while watching Nascar, there was an interview with Jimmy Johnson. DW said... "Wow... He shaved. He really looks handsome."

I wonder how people feel about this today? Ladies and gents.
Macho or otherwise?

What Wiki says:
Quote:
Throughout the course of history, societal attitudes toward male beards have varied widely depending on factors such as prevailing cultural-religious traditions and the current era's fashion trends. Some religions (such as Islam and Sikhism) have considered a full beard to be absolutely essential for all males able to grow one, and mandate it as part of their official dogma. Other cultures (while not officially mandating it), view a beard as central to a man's virility, exemplifying such virtues as wisdom, strength, sexual prowess and high social status. However, in cultures where facial hair is uncommon (or currently out of fashion), beards may be associated with poor hygiene or a "savage," uncivilized, or even dangerous demeanor.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

This will be an interesting thread....

Blondes or brunettes?

Red or white wine?

Rock or Roll?

Jazz or Classical?

50/50

Old 10-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #3

DH has had a beard and long hair for most of the past couple of years but recently returned from a long trip and shaved and cut his hair short.
I'm ok either way, but am generally for the full beard look rather than just a mustache or just a goatee or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #4

I grew a beard shortly after leaving work, but didn't keep it very long. It was silvery, much lighter than my hair (then), and people kept asking if I dyed my hair, not believing my denial.

On Y2K night I did dye it green, alone with part of my hair, paying off a bet with DD regarding her school grades.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last time I shaved my beard off was 25 years ago this month. My 5 y.o. daughter was very upset. As far as the OP is concerned, I'm more "shaving is like selling. If you do it everyday, you're working too hard at something unnecessary".

I do shave to keep the beard neat, but probably only every third day. I can probably go longer now that the beard is white instead of brown.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

Just found the wisdom of Zig Ziglar...

Would make great "signatures". Zig Ziglar Quotes - BrainyQuote

The key to a happy, successful, full life!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Since I retired last year, I have been shaving once every four days or so. Guess that makes me a bum. I'm ok with that
Old 10-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I go with a beard during the winter, it really helps keeping warm skiing. And shave every 3rd or 4th day during the summer. My wife likes the beard my daughter like me shaved...and my son couldn't care less! I like them both and changing with the seasons - as the trees are losing their leaves I am growing mine. Still for the most part brown hair on the beard, with some grey....sure that will change.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #9

I've never had a beard. I don't like the way it feels if I go more than 2-3 days without shaving. I use an electric razor and spend only about 1 minute give or take a few seconds so not much hassle. I shave every day I leave the house.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Administrator

I have shaved every day since I was 16 years old, and I'll continue until I am physically unable to do it. I just don't feel right until after I've shaved. That said, I'm sure I am just as uncivilized and dangerous as the most hirsute of men.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've worn a full beard since my 20's except for a brief period about three years ago, when I shaved it off just to remind myself what I looked like. Decided I preferred the beard and promptly grew it back.
While working I used to shave my neck and trim the beard every day, but since retirement I only bother about every 3-4 days.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm sure I am just as uncivilized and dangerous as the most hirsute of men.
Hah! You wish.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife has never seen me sans beard.

A beard is like a picture frame for your face.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #14

I am always telling the DGF that once I retire from my job, I am going to go with the Duck Dynasty look. It freaks her out.

I had a close trimmed beard in my younger days, they are OK. But they do make you feel like your face is not as clean as it could be.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
But they do make you feel like your face is not as clean as it could be.
I disagree completely. That's a matter of personal hygiene and comfort. I'm sure there are plenty of dirty beards, but my face feels nice and clean with mine. That would be like saying having hair on your head makes it feel less clean than if you shaved it.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #16

The world is full of successful bums. Hey it's just another form of retirement!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I disagree completely. That's a matter of personal hygiene and comfort. I'm sure there are plenty of dirty beards, but my face feels nice and clean with mine. That would be like saying having hair on your head makes it feel less clean than if you shaved it.
+1

I grew a beard for the first time at age 66 and I keep it neatly trimmed.

Like that commercial with the "most interesting man in the world" (which I am definitely NOT), I think it makes me look somewhat extinguished. But dirty? Definitely not.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #18

I had a full beard for a while when working outside in the northern winters. It really did help but I was glad to shave it off.

Now, what about the bearded ladies?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #19

I have a goatee and it is about 3 inches length with a moustache, and mostly grey; more grey than my hair on my head although it has more salt than pepper. Since my goatee is longer, I may adjust the length about once every 7-10 days. Shave usually every other day for rest of my face. Went clean shaven for my younger days up until about 12 years ago when I decided to do the goatee. I definitely do not look like most of my fellow engineers who are either full beard fairly close, or clean shaven with no beard.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #20

I grew my first beard in high school but the novelty wore off by college. I've had a mustache for most of my life. Occasionally, I might let my beard grow in a bit but until it gets to a certain length it always seemed a bit itchy so am mostly beardless. The last time I had a beard was 12 years ago following my father's death.