Join Early Retirement Today

Beatles song for the day
Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beatles song for the day

There's enough Beatles fans here, so I thought we could share the songs we are currently listening to. Here's one that I always thought was underrated, from their Help! album.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Administrator

Love that one, David1961!!!

For some reason, this song is ricocheting through my mind today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Here's one that I always thought was underrated, from their Help! album.
Not underrated at all. Paul was such a talented Bass player.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For some reason, this song is ricocheting through my mind today.
And now it will be stuck in mine. Thanks a lot.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
There's enough Beatles fans here, so I thought we could share the songs we are currently listening to. Here's one that I always thought was underrated, from their Help! album.

One of my faves!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Great live clip with very good sound.

http://youtu.be/y8Dpt7TI9q0
Old 12-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

tomorrow never knows / norwegian wood medley.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

On my way home last night the radio played Hey Jude and I just can't stop hearing it....not a problem, I put it on this morning and listened through my headphones, beautiful....
Old 12-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have 130 favorite Beatle songs. I have every Beatles album and most songs, but not all, are on my iOS devices. There are only a few Beatles tunes that are 'not favorites.'

I guess that could be another thread, Beatles songs you don't like, but I'd be afraid to start it - sacrilege?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have 130 favorite Beatle songs. I have every Beatles album and most songs, but not all, are on my iOS devices. There are only a few Beatles tunes that are 'not favorites.'
+1
Even the ones that are "not favorites" I can still listen to and enjoy.....
Old 12-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
On my way home last night the radio played Hey Jude and I just can't stop hearing it....not a problem, I put it on this morning and listened through my headphones, beautiful....
Folks have heard "Hey Jude" so many times now, over these past ~45 years since it was released, that many are tired of it. Not me. I remember when it was released--the first Beatles single on their new Apple label. It looked so cool when you bought it, in that glossy black record sleeve with simple lettering. (And it couldn't be bought on any LP at the time, until Allen Klein got his greedy fingers on the Beatles' catalog and released the Hey Jude album of odds and ends in 1970--no longer available.)

My mother, who was in her early 30s when that single came out, used to play "Hey Jude" as often as I did, if not more. I'd come home from the 8th grade to a home smelling of Pine-Sol and perhaps the furniture rearranged (as she used to do every few months, just for variety)--after one of her frequent house cleanings. And "Hey Jude" would be playing on our big wooden TV/stereo console she had bought at the local Firestone tire store (yes, tire store!) a few months earlier--over and over again, using that 45-RPM spindle that, when left "open," allowed the record to play repeatedly. Those were the days! (Ooh, another Apple single release that came out about the same time.)

So, I never get tired of hearing it. It brings back many memories. And it's a great song, to boot!

BTW: there is an anecdote in the 2013 book, Beatles vs. Stones, by John McMillian--which I am currently reading--at p. 1, when Paul McCartney strolled into Mick Jagger's birthday party at the new, trendy Vesuvio Club in the summer of 1968. The club's loudspeakers were playing an advance pressing of the Stones' new LP, Beggars Banquet, and everyone was dancing along to it. Paul passed the club owner an advance pressing of "Hey Jude"--which no one outside of the Beatles' close inner circle had ever heard before. The crowd was floored and demanded that it be played again and again. Then the B-side "Revolution" was played. "When it was over," [club owner Tony] Sanchez said," Mick looked peeved. The Beatles had upstaged him."
Old 12-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Truly great songs, but like Stairway to Heaven (and a few others), I just don't care to hear Hey Jude anymore - just WAY, WAY overplayed IME. Always preferred John's song writing anyway. YMMV

The Beatles are still my favorite band ever...

Old 12-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #13

I love to sing "When I am 64." As I get older toward the age (I am 52 now), I find myself liking the song even more.

Vera, Chuck, and Dave.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #14

There was a thread on our least favorite Beatles songs about a year ago.

What's Your Least Favorite Beatles Song?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...