Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
She did a beautiful poised job of damage control this morning with Matt Lauer. Hope of clip of that gets out on the net. Matt and his side kick were very kind to her.
I, too, would like to offer comfort...

"Cause I'm built for comfort..." Willie Dixon

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I, too, would like to offer comfort...

"Cause I'm built for comfort..." Willie Dixon
I found watching the clip with the sound turned off that I'd be happy to comfort her pain also. and after watching her performance on Today, she doesn't seem any dumber than the average teenager. It is amazing at what guys will let pretty girls get away with.

A couple of nights ago they interviewed a lady protesting a new ferry in Hawaii, holding a sign saying "Stupid Ferry, Stupid People." When she was interviewed by the local TV, she babbled something equally incoherent as our Miss Teen.

One of my friends thought maybe she'd make Leno, but of course being frumpy middle age woman and not a very pretty 18 year old she has no chance!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Ya know....if someone launched a MISTER Teen USA contest, along the same lines as these girl-deals, it would become undeniably obvious how idiotic this stuff is. Parade them around in Tuxes, then in speedos, then have them answer some "IQ" question, then show some kind of talent at something.... anything. Maybe speedos again. LMAO!!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:33 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

[quote=Texas Proud;550856]Saw an artilce where she was on Good Morning America and answered the question again.... said she only heard a few words of the question and started to answer... she said she made a mistake and everybody makes mistakes....
quote]

Uh, that's when you say "Can you please repeat the question?"
Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

I strayed for 25 years in Wisconsin (but the southern part of the state), but now again a southerner. And I occasionally say y'all.
Me too, can't get much farther South than that! August comes around and I long for the smell of cool wet sand and cotton candy in the Riviera at Lake Geneva, or "the Rive" as we called it. Pull up your shirt and show your beach tag.... Ah!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh that was awful! It was just drivel. I don't think she knew what a map was.

So where is this "Diraq" that she was talking about?

For more entertainment... replay the video, but only watch the face of the guy that is holding the microphone at the end. Is he, or is he not, thinking "This girl doesn't have a brain in her head!"
Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She did a beautiful poised job of damage control this morning with Matt Lauer. Hope of clip of that gets out on the net.
I agree that she did an excellent job of rebounding. I believe that they said that she had a HS average of 3.5GPA, and when Lauer spoke to her, she gave a very thoughtful, intelligent response. I think that it was just a case a nerves and her failure to ask " Can you please repeat the question?"

Hey the kid is only 16 years old. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to her, she'll be OK.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mickey, I didn't see Miss SC on TV, so I can't comment on whether she rebounded or not. But as for a 3.5 GPA in high school...don't be too impressed by that. Grade inflation is rampant, so A's don't mean all that much. Studies have shown that only 26% of kids who took college prep are prepared for college and able to achieve at least a C:

In Study, College-Prep Classes Left Many Unready - New York Times

And it's been said that only 31% of college graduates can read a complex book and extrapolate from it:

Literacy of College Graduates Is on Decline

I've seen statistics showing that at some schools (not the most competitive, but typical state colleges and universities) more than 50% of freshman need to take remedial courses to get them up to college level.

As someone who was 50 yo remarked to me about the difference between the English classes he took in HS versus his daughter currently: "When I was in HS, we were reading the Odyssey. My daughter's English class watched O Brother Where Art Thou? instead." (O Brother is a great film and loosely based on the Odyssey, but it does show how curriculum has been dumbed down.

Possibly this girl is not dumber than the majority of her peers. Or maybe she really was that nervous in the pageant. While I understand that there was more pressure and competition during the pageant than going on The Today Show, it still is interesting to me that she was that nervous as to be totally incoherent but a few days later was poised and articulate. Ostensibly she was speaking off the cuff in both instances, but of course, she had some prep help for the pageant. Possibly she was better coached for The Today Show and she may have been more motivated to try to learn and practice what to say on it after being ridiculed for her performance on the pageant.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
A couple of nights ago they interviewed a lady protesting a new ferry in Hawaii, holding a sign saying "Stupid Ferry, Stupid People." When she was interviewed by the local TV, she babbled something equally incoherent as our Miss Teen.
Boy, that situation went from zero to ugly in about 4.6 seconds. I was hoping that the ferry would produce some October holoholo bargains but just six weeks might not be enough time to recover from the court battles.

Have you been following the fuss over at HawaiiThreads.com? Wait until people realize that the venture capital for this project came from John "Command of the Seas" Lehman...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:16 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
oh, i forgot to add, she's a model (was in high school too) and on tv sometimes in commercials...
I suppose it's too much to hope that she's investing that money for FIRE......

Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not a comment on the young lady in question.

back in my high school algebra class we used to observe that (in our class)

B(rains) * b(eauty) = A(constant)