Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #21

Wow - I had never heard of a Prepper until I saw it here. Seems a little overboard. But I stockpiled 40 gallons of beer last fall and I am growing a garden this year so maybe I am a Prepper.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Do you actually think there is a lot of "prepper" nonsense, as depicted on the TV reality shows, going on?

I know there is also a TV reality show about folks making and selling bootleg whiskey, but I don't think there are very many folks actually doing it.

BTW, from the preparation activities you described in your post, you're much more of a "prepper" than me!
Of course you are right, the prepper "reality" shows are hyped and scripted, but sometimes humorous nonetheless. And the number of extreme preppers no doubt is very low as you suggest.

But never the less, I do think that this economic and political collapse fervor does cloud our political and economic discourse, and make real solutions more difficult. I guess that is the primary difficulty I have with it.

Of course we could have a nuclear war, asteroid strike, or Yellowstone blow up, but then I am reminded about the old nuclear war adage. When the missile strikes, bow down, put your head between your knees, and kiss your a.. goodbye.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InParadise View Post
having the resources..........
Prepping or "having the resources........" Whatever ya wanna call it!

But, yes, if your everyday living circumstances leave you well prepared to survive on your own, you don't have to call it prepping even if it gets you to the same place. Maybe there is a difference between being prepared and being a "Prepper?" If so, I expect that difference is as defined by reality TV and the media!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the interesting question for folks who do some moderate "prepping" is under what circumstances, when and with whom do you share?

Say you've got a couple weeks of water, food and fuel for your generator. Tornadoes and severe rain storms/flooding take out power and close roads which are likely to take days to reopen. Thousands have been killed or injured in other areas, so your neighborhood isn't the top priority for emergency responders.

Would you share anything and everything immediately with anyone that asks? Would you try to "lay low" and make sure your immediate loved ones would be OK before setting eveything out on the front lawn for all to share? If the neighbor you can't stand wants to plug his sump pump into your generator so his basement doesn't flood while the power is out, would you do that? How about if you were low on fuel?

We find out a lot about people in trying times!

Yes, I would be sharing. Partly because it is the right thing to do and partly because in a disaster like that you would be reliant on other people now matter what you stockpiled. If there were looters or violent thugs afoot I would be loaning neighbors firearms if they needed them as well. Not sure how good a deterrent a squirrel rifle would be, though.

The people on doomsday preppers the show are a bit scary to watch. On a majority of them you can just about see the mental illness/PTSD crystallizing on them.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My prepping consisted of moving to the country side, many mountain ranges from the washimorenyboston corridor, where there are many farms. Have skills to trade for food if need be. Have lots of land to grow stuff on with spring and meat on the hoof, self feeding and reproducing with no input from me, yet available via shootiniron.

Encourage(ing) as many people as possible to move to the big cities. Tell them all about the sophiscticated life (culture/theatre/ballet/museums/art/libraries/nightlife/etc.) they could have there.

Gambling that this way when the poop hits the fan they won't have cars to drive or gas to put in it to come way out here.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Of course you are right, the prepper "reality" shows are hyped and scripted, but sometimes humorous nonetheless. And the number of extreme preppers no doubt is very low as you suggest.

But never the less, I do think that this economic and political collapse fervor does cloud our political and economic discourse, and make real solutions more difficult. I guess that is the primary difficulty I have with it.
It just seems like if a hand full of folks are preparing to survive an anticipated extreme event, that they are making little difference in the lives of their fellow citizens. I don't know why we worry about them. I'm more concerned about folks who insist on wasting potable water watering their lawns than I am about so-called "Preppers." Maybe that's because I see folks waste resources all the time while I've never met a "Prepper" other than some friends who keep a modest supply of canned goods and drinking water in their basement.

Edit: I will confess and say that Sal's Liquors had cases of Guinness Pub Draft (very unusual to find it offered in cases of 24 cans) on sale at a terrific price. I bought 3 cases. I guess I'm a Prepper. I have canned goods stored in the basement!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
The people on doomsday preppers the show are a bit scary to watch. On a majority of them you can just about see the mental illness/PTSD crystallizing on them.
I agree with that. I've never been a big fan of the reality TV shows. I know there are a lot of cable TV channels meaning there is a lot of air time to fill and the need to fill it inexpensively. But watching folks make bootleg whiskey, mine gold, clear cut forests, hoard stuff, homestead in Alaska, fish for crabs, lose weight, sing a song, dance, prep for disaster or whatever kind of got old for me..........

Regarding the sharing comments, agree there too.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #28

I have noticed that very few folks are "preppers" until something happens. Then just about everyone is a prepper. During the last two tsunami scares here in the Islands, I knew something was "up" before I ever heard a siren or turned on the TV. There was a dull roar of engines idling out front as a 3/4 mile long two-lane line formed of folks attempting to stock up on gasoline and bottled water/bread/eggs/etc./etc.. I turned on the TV and learned what was happening. Fortunately, we keep items on hand "just because" and didn't need to join the crowd out front. Even though very little actually happened locally due to the tsunamis, it was a while before the local stores could restock with routine items.

Here in the Islands, we have less than a 7 day supply of food. We are the most isolated inhabited place on Earth. For those reasons alone, it makes sense to have a couple of weeks worth of food/water on hand. With minimal management, there is virtually no additional cost to such preparedness. NOT needing to depend on gummint (or the neighbors) for disaster relief is simply prudent, but YMMV.

I criticize no one for their views on "prepping" (either way). But I am amused when folks say they "would do" such and such or so and so ITSHTF. None of us really knows what we would do until it happens. None of us can think through all the possible scenarios and decide how we would react.

Very reluctantly, both parents told stories of surviving the great depression. True hunger is an incredible "emotion" to overcome. I don't think my parents ever did. Once again, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
20 and more years ago (when I had some assistants) I was into what I called "soft-core survivalism"; not concertina wire/kalashnikovs, but preparations for various scenarios and some off-grid possibilities. Did not complete much, but certain things did help when I was without electricity for six days in 2008.

I am again planning for life in Florida. He has a propane generator and stove, we have installed some solar and are looking at more (electricity and water heating), also water catchment; also looking at chickens and beehives and deer/pig hunting and container gardening, he already does much fishing and some gardening. Heck, if the lot next door comes up for sale we might have a goat.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD3C View Post
What scenario are you prepping for?
How probable is the scenario ?
How much does it cost to prepare?
Doomsday is unlikely and preparations expensive.
Hurricanes in Florida are common, preparations(an evacuation plan) are cheap
Some things I would not consider unlikely some time in my life would be an electronic magnetic pulse that fries all the circuitry we have become so dependent on, or a cyber attack that cripples our electric grid. Cyberterrorism is one thing our gov't is throwing quite a bit of money at. With an EMP solar would do nothing for me, but we could still haul water from the creek and boil it on the wood stove if push came to shove. How much does it cost to prepare? Nothing above and beyond the steps we are already taking to deal with the extended electrical outages that are not infrequent in our area from limbs falling on wires.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

So, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to be prepared unless you are truly, I mean really truly prepared. Take a look at what happened to the Knights Templar in France (only a few hundred years ago). They did not see it coming.

And, that is how I see most doomsday situations.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #32

InParadise, Think that's a smart plan about moving to your vacation home. I think most people should have some preparedness but don't. I buy and rotate a few cartons of UHT shelf stable milk (I love milk), keep canned food and can opener in pantry, rice, cases of water, batteries, tanks of propane. Things like that but not for uprising but for natural disasters. Never knew there were TV shows about Preppers. Some of the things I've read make the hard core Preppers sound like "drink the kool-aide" followers. That said, I don't think I know any Preppers, so could be wrong.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm most worried about head coverings. Haven't been able to figure out the pros and cons of tinfoil over aluminum foil. Are there better alternatives? Lead foil is nice and soft, so it's easily rolled into shape, but I'm leaning toward gold foil, to kill two birds with one stone. Making my hat with a wide brim, I could just tear off a piece of it to pay for some ammo, right?
That's about where I am with it. I do have a .38, a .357, a scoped .22 rifle, and a 12 gauge, but those are more relics of college-age plinking and a past occupation. None have been fired for at least 12 years.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empresario View Post
So, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to be prepared unless you are truly, I mean really truly prepared. Take a look at what happened to the Knights Templar in France (only a few hundred years ago). They did not see it coming.
From WIKI:

Quote:
many of the Order's members in France were arrested, tortured into giving false confessions, and then burned at the stake.
So you're saying the US Gov't may torture Preppers into giving false confessions and then burn them at the stake? Wow! Wouldn't that be something? I wonder which cable TV channel will get the rights to the realty show on that one?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wow - I had never heard of a Prepper until I saw it here. Seems a little overboard. But I stockpiled 40 gallons of beer last fall and I am growing a garden this year so maybe I am a Prepper.
Ronstar, My husband would like your address. lol
Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a must-watch, if you are a "prepper"

Twilight Zone- The Shelter

If you have not see this, it's one of the best episodes.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
But I stockpiled 40 gallons of beer last fall....
Now that's a treasure to hoard!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #38

Quote:
I think the interesting question for folks who do some moderate "prepping" is under what circumstances, when and with whom do you share?

Say you've got a couple weeks of water, food and fuel for your generator. Tornadoes and severe rain storms/flooding take out power and close roads which are likely to take days to reopen. Thousands have been killed or injured in other areas, so your neighborhood isn't the top priority for emergency responders.

Would you share anything and everything immediately with anyone that asks? Would you try to "lay low" and make sure your immediate loved ones would be OK before setting eveything out on the front lawn for all to share? If the neighbor you can't stand wants to plug his sump pump into your generator so his basement doesn't flood while the power is out, would you do that? How about if you were low on fuel?

We find out a lot about people in trying times!
Last big hurricane knocked out power in our neighborhood for almost 2 weeks. About two days in, everybody got out the BBQs and started grilling everything in the freezers. It was quite a block party!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Now that's a treasure to hoard!

Hoarding does have its priorities. I brew outside and that's almost impossible in this weather, so I "prepped" last fall by brewing 10 gallons every 3 weeks until I filled all of my kegs. The bad part is that I'm down to 20 gallons now. The good thing about this weather is that I can store my stockpiled kegs in the garage at around 32 degrees.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #40
Dryer sheet wannabe

No, not thinking about torture. I'm just saying the French rounded up all of the Knights early one morning before anyone saw it coming and it was all over, done. Seems that is how we give things up sometimes. It happens before we even realize it is happening. I'm not sure you can be prepared enough for all situations unless you willing to be really prepared.