Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So what is the most energy efficient way to execute someone?

Electricity vs lethal injection? Solar powered electric chair (All executions to take place at high noon?).

Soylent Green?

-ERD50

Gravity?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Plastic grocery bag.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Plastic grocery bag.
LOL! But, promise me you will reuse it! -ERD50
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Actually, Lazy's comment about kids is very interesting to me. A lot of people I know who think that Global Warming is a vast anti-American conspiracy engineered by the UN, happen to have kids. I don't, yet I care about the environment. It sometimes makes me wonder why... After all, if people with kids don't worry about the kind of world their kids will inherit, then why should I? As long as earth remains livable for the next 60 years, I should be all set...

Good point. After all, Al Gore has 4 kids, doesn't he?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I guess this rules out running them down with your SUV...
No..... but it must be a hybrid SUV.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Good point. After all, Al Gore has 4 kids, doesn't he?
Yes; and self-appointed environmental crusader David Suzuki has five children. Bunch of hypocrites.

People are free to have as many kids as they wish. But since overpopulation is the number-one cause of damage to the earth, Gore and Suzuki have absolutely no moral right to lecture the rest of us about our choices.

Another sign of hypocrisy by the above-mentioned global warming zealots:

(1) Gore lives in a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville. He also has a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, and a rural getaway in Carthage, Tennesse.

FWIW, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research reports that his Nashville home alone uses more electricity monthly than the average American household uses in a year [see further Tennessee Center for Policy Research].

(2) Suzuki lives in a beachfront mansion in Kitsilano (a pricey Vancouver neighbourhood) and also owns a large estate named 'Tangwyn' on British Columbia's Quadra Island.

Talk about environmental footprints! And of course both of them are inveterate jet-setters who love world travel.

P.S. This site is satirical: Al Gore's Hummer Club (Gore actually drives a Mercury Mariner hybrid). But Suzuki really does cruise around in a huge diesel-burning tour bus [see further winnipegsun.com - Tom Brodbeck - Eco-icon not so green]. Incredible!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #47

I feel so betrayed by the great savior Al Gore now.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

If there was an easier way to cook pasta in the convection microwave then we'd do that too.
Ahem...don't know nothing about solar panels or composting, but I can offer a very efficient method of cooking pasta in the microwave! This little plastic cooking box was invented by a Delphi engineer here in Michigan and offered for sale at a local market. I bought it on a whim -- thinking it wasn't going to work. I was wrong. Perfect pasta from the microwave. Really.

Here's their website: Fasta Pasta - Microwave Pasta Cooker
Old 04-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Ahem...don't know nothing about solar panels or composting, but I can offer a very efficient method of cooking pasta in the microwave! This little plastic cooking box was invented by a Delphi engineer here in Michigan and offered for sale at a local market. I bought it on a whim -- thinking it wasn't going to work. I was wrong. Perfect pasta from the microwave. Really.

Here's their website: Fasta Pasta - Microwave Pasta Cooker
The Fasta Pasta gizzmo looks good....... Trying to get pasta boiled just right from the time I hear the garage door opening until DW steps though the door is tough. With this thing, it would be easier to disguise the fact I've been playing around on the computer instead of getting her dinner ready!

Nords...... Have you looked at sun ovens? Bake, boil, etc., by converting sunshine directly to heat bypassing the electricity stage?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
The Fasta Pasta gizzmo looks good....... Trying to get pasta boiled just right from the time I hear the garage door opening until DW steps though the door is tough. With this thing, it would be easier to disguise the fact I've been playing around on the computer instead of getting her dinner ready!

Nords...... Have you looked at sun ovens? Bake, boil, etc., by converting sunshine directly to heat bypassing the electricity stage?
I have a solar oven I've never used. Where can I find specific instructions on cooking (pots, times)?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #51

Lots of links here: Solar Oven, Cooker and Dryer Tips and Solar Recipes.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Force the convicted to climb to the top of a tall building and then take the quick way down
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, thanks, Achiever! I'll get on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Well, I wouldn't go so far as advocating capital punishment. But in these parts, it's not uncommon to shoot out their tires. No jury would convict you.
That's because of the popular Texas defense strategy of "Your Honor, they needed shootin'."

Quote:
Yep, that's our hurricane cooker and we've also used it for Girl Scout brownies years ago.

We haven't figured out yet how to make the sun shine on cue for our cooking/baking plans. We're as lazy & impatient as they come when it's dinnertime. In fact if we had two microwave ovens we wouldn't have to wait so long...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That's because of the popular Texas defense strategy of "Your Honor, they needed shootin'."
It's killin', not shootin'...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post

P.S. This site is satirical: Al Gore's Hummer Club
THAT was funny! Lotsa gold in there, I think my favorite is the hummer limo - 'The zebra stripes on the side remind people that I care about the earth.'

- ERD50
Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #56

Good info on carbon credits:

Carbon Credits for Sale | Carbon Credit Warehouse
Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #57

Gore and Suzuki both seem to believe that it is A-okay to be as environmentally unfriendly as you wish, provided that you offset your excessive consumption by purchasing those offset credits.

Aside from many other questions, the above assumes that everyone has loads of surplus cash available ... which I rather doubt.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

My thanks again to Achiever for the FastaPasta cooker. Ours came yesterday (Achiever, is that from your neighborhood?) and it rocks. If you buy one for yourself, buy the recipe book too and learn how to cook phad thai the easy way.

We only use our oven a half-dozen times a year, and now we're probably only going to use the stove burners for browning meat & stirring gravy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually I'm more curious about all the cows, pigs, and chickens. What happens to them if we do not eat them? Do they become extinct because they have not needed to survive for all these years without a farmers helping hand? Do they become roadkill because we have too many? Do they become a problem like mice getting into your house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
I'm curious - do vegetarians only eat plants because they love animals, or cause they hate plants?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My thanks again to Achiever for the Fasta Pasta cooker.
Hey, could you or Achiever scan in and post the cooking guide so that us tightwads can experiment with making our own? No, CFB, not with 2x4s and wood with holes in it, I have some microwavable rubbermaid containers that could work fine, assuming the "patented reservoir" isn't really that important.

Thanks,