Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I cannot remember to have a damage or thrown one away.
We use high quality and do not have a dryer.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re the prices. I usually get Ralph Lauren - i get a queen set at Home Goods (like a tjmax/marshalls) for $40. Often see the 1k thread counts for more like $60.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 AM   #23

I would *guess* ours last about as long. My guess they would last longer if we all STOPPED reusing dryer sheets!

A little off topic, but my Dad has been using the same sheet sets for at least 20 years, probably longer. Towels? Yeah, those are probably closer to 30 years old...and most are still in good shape. I would guess it's because when Mom was still around doing the laundry, they didn't use a dryer. Everything was hung up to dry. My Dad has a nack for making things last FOREVER. His house was built in 1973 and most of the furnishings are from his parents and some of it from his grandparents. Even though so much of it is SO OLD, it all still looks new.

When my SIL/BIL came to visit last year, we went over there for happy hour. They were in awe of the condition and appearance of the furnishings. They had two thoughts...1) This looks like it should be used as a set on Mad Men and 2) We all need smoking jackets and a martini!

I do laugh that much of the furniture he has now sells as high-end at sellers like this Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams: Classic Modern Home Furnishings
Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Nodak, I live in MN and have spent time in Minot. It isn't THAT cold!!!
I just like the feel of flannel.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #25

Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies. I guess the 5 years I've been getting out of my sheets is pretty typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
I recently bought a queen set of sheets from Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and they were pilling after about 4 weeks of use. Guess I won't buy that brand again, and will check reviews before I buy another set of sheets.
Would you mind sharing the specific brand and product name of those BB&B sheets you didn't like? I have a "20% off" BB&B coupon and was thinking about using it to buy some new sheets.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #26

Timely topic but anyone have any links to a specific brand/type they like on Bed Bath, Target or Amazon?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #27

I'm a little OCD about my sheets.

I bought every set of Ralph Lauren Brianna Paisley (now discontinued) I could find at least 15 years ago because I wanted enough to have for the rest of my life. ( I just LOVE them!) I had 7 sets. I still have 5 sets new and unopened, and the set I'm using now is fairly new. So...these sheets have lasted over 10 years.

I guess I need to live another 50 years in order to use all my beloved sheets.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

I have to admit I love my bamboo sheets, they are the smoothest, softest I've ever felt. But they are fragile and only last 3 years or so...
Old 07-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #29

I found a percale with 100% pima cotton, 500 thread count that I love (Thomas Lee LTD:PerfectCale). I gladly iron them as they remind me of my Grandmother's sheets. Crisp and soft at the same time. Cool to the touch, etc. I can't remember when I bought the first set but it has to be over 5 years ago and I suspect I will get another 5 plus years out them. I bought a second set to have on hand for needed quick changes in case I did not have the time to iron them. I haven't had to use them yet at all. They are pricey though!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #30
Administrator

2 sets here - rotated for washing.. They seems to last about 5 years. Another percale fan here, btw. Have you noticed that they are getting harder and harder to find in stores?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #31

Do you bleach? Bleach takes a bite out of fabric, weakening it.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
2 sets here - rotated for washing.. They seems to last about 5 years. Another percale fan here, btw. Have you noticed that they are getting harder and harder to find in stores?
Janet H, Yes I could not easily find them in stores or online at the typical Department Stores. Not sure how I ran across Thomas Lee Ltd but it was probably from internet searches. I read the reviews, was encouraged, ordered a set and love them.
Prior too that I was doing Egyptian Cotton, very high thread counts found in Department Stores and they just thinned out and fell apart so quickly.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #33

I have a random assortment of sheets for our king bed, but the best sheets I've ever bought were for our guest bed--microfiber 1800 Clara Clark ones from Amazon. Discontinued now, but I swear, those are the softest sheets and have held up really well.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I'm a little OCD about my sheets.

I bought every set of Ralph Lauren Brianna Paisley (now discontinued) I could find at least 15 years ago because I wanted enough to have for the rest of my life. ( I just LOVE them!) I had 7 sets. I still have 5 sets new and unopened, and the set I'm using now is fairly new. So...these sheets have lasted over 10 years.

I guess I need to live another 50 years in order to use all my beloved sheets.
I checked out my 10+ year old sheets last night and all three sets are Ralph Lauren brand - I bought them to coordinate with RL comforters that I have since discarded. Maybe that is why my sheets are lasting so long.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrdarrash View Post
I have to admit I love my bamboo sheets, they are the smoothest, softest I've ever felt. But they are fragile and only last 3 years or so...
My wife recently bought two sets of bamboo sheets at Costco, and so far, we really like them. They are very soft and cool feeling in the summer. I would say they are at least as good as the best cotton sheets we've owned (400 thread count pima).
Old 07-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #36

One would think the longevity of bed sheets would be directly proportional to the amount of friction and washings, said sheets experience.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrdarrash View Post
I have not found bamboo sheets to be very durable.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #38

Currently have this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love the feel of cotton jersey. But I have to tuck the top edge of the top sheet at the foot of the bed due to the twisted hem.

Would have to save up for quite awhile to try these:
www.roughlinen.com