Join Early Retirement Today

Bed sheets
Old 07-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bed sheets

Kind of an odd topic, but I'm wondering how long most people use the same bed sheets before replacing them. I'm asking because I seem to be buying new ones every 5 years or so, due to the wear and tear -- I guess from my feet moving around and creating little rips and tears that gradually turn into large rips and tears. I buy 100% cotton with a thread count in the 400-600 range, usually. I guess this might be the kind of thing where, if I want the softness and luxury of pure cotton, I just have to live with the fact that the sheets won't be super durable.

So -- if you care to answer -- about how long do you sleep on the same bed sheets before buying new ones? If you'd also include the thread count and whether they're 100% cotton, that would be appreciated, too.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We love the sheets sold by Costco. We replace them if needed, but never marked the date we bought them.

Enjoying life!
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

I am sold on the cotton jersey--t-shirt type--sheets. I find them cool in summer and warm in winter and love the feel. They are not expensive (believe it or not I've found the best brand ever at Walmart) but don't last more than about 2-3 years. Then they get cut up and replenish my rag bag.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

You don't think 5 years is durable? That's 1825 nights or so. We get rid of ours if they started to feel rough or pilly.....I believe that the newer high efficiency washers are harder on sheets and towels. I'm not picky about sheets, usually buy on white sales and just look for about a 500 thread count or higher.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #5

+1 on the Costco sheets - they fit the description in the OP of high thread count, 100% egyptian pima cotton.

I replace about every 3-4 years. Only when they develop a tear - which is typically in the foot area... 3-4 years isn't bad for something that has my body lying on it 6 months of the year. (I alternate between 2 sets... so each gets 1/2 use.)
Old 07-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

bout 5 years is what I get on sheets. I always buy flannel sheets.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #7

Haven't tracked but 5 years sounds about right. I like to get at least 300 ct or better, and i like cotton sateen. I usually pick up sets for cheap at Homegoods and rotate 2, one off one on.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You don't think 5 years is durable? That's 1825 nights or so. We get rid of ours if they started to feel rough or pilly.....I believe that the newer high efficiency washers are harder on sheets and towels. I'm not picky about sheets, usually buy on white sales and just look for about a 500 thread count or higher.
I too have found that HE washers and detergent are harder on sheets (and clothes). I seem to ruin/tear stuff much faster.

OP, 4-6 years seems about what we get out of ours. We recently started using different ones in colder months.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish my sheets would wear out and get a hole in them. I rotate between three sets and they are at least 10 years old. My favorite is the 500 or 600 threat count Egyptian Cotton that is Wamsutta brand. The other two sets are 100% cotton but maybe 200 or 300 thread count and I would like to get rid of them but I hate to buy new sheets when the old ones are adequate (note on other thread that I don't have this issue with an unmatched washer and dryer). I would never buy percale and don't care for sateen. I have the same problem with towels - they last forever.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I rotate several pairs of sheets. One of them, 300 thread count, is about 30 years old and is holding up better than the newer ones.

Maybe I don't kick as much some of you in bed!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I am sold on the cotton jersey--t-shirt type--sheets. I find them cool in summer and warm in winter and love the feel. They are not expensive (believe it or not I've found the best brand ever at Walmart) but don't last more than about 2-3 years. Then they get cut up and replenish my rag bag.
+1 Love the Jersey sheets.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Nodak, I live in MN and have spent time in Minot. It isn't THAT cold!!!
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I don't care for the ultra high count cloth. But what's important now that mattresses have gotten so thick is having a very deep pocket in the fitted sheets. There's nothing worse than the sheet coming off the mattress when I rollover in the middle of the night.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #14
Administrator

We have all cotton, high thread count percale (not sateen). We replace them when they rip. I can't recall precisely, but I bet we get 10 years out of a set. We have two sets and change them out to wash them once a week.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

DW buys more sheets than we need, we seem to have about 8 sets. They are approx 600 threadcount and seem to last a very long time, but I can't give even a rough estimate of longevity due to the number of sets in the rotation. I'd be perfectly happy with 200 TPI: Bigger threads = thicker sheets that should last longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I always buy flannel sheets.
We have a set that we put on sometimes in the winter. It's a special treat to get into bed and not have that initial cold feeling that non-flannel sheets have. DW doesn't care for them very much though--I guess they aren't smooth enough.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I rotate several pairs of sheets. One of them, 300 thread count, is about 30 years old and is holding up better than the newer ones.

Maybe I don't kick as much some of you in bed!

Your 300 count sheets are probably percale sheets. It's difficult to find percale sheets anymore. I've seen them on Overstock occasionally, and Kohls used to sell Canon percale sheets.

A high thread count doesn't necessarily translate into better wearability or quality in sheets.

I avoid sateen sheets as they seem to be the worst in durability, and are often the highest in thread count.
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #17

Not sure if my theory is right - but if you have rips is it usually on the husband's side of the bed?

It is in my house...DH is also far more likely than me to have calloused heels and sharper toenails - just observing!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I love Costco's products but the flat sheet for a queen bed just barely covers our bodies. It is difficult to purchase sheets other than in a set but I did find wonderful sheets at LL Bean where I can purchase a deep pocket fitted queen sheet and a king size top sheet. I love the feel of those sheets and my tush doesn't get exposed in the middle of the night. 280-Thread-Count Pima Cotton Percale Sheet, Fitted | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean .
Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Which of the Costco sheets are recommended? They carry a couple different brands. I recently bought a queen set of sheets from Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and they were pilling after about 4 weeks of use. Guess I won't buy that brand again, and will check reviews before I buy another set of sheets. $50 is a lot of money for sheets! Has anyone tried IKEA's higher thread count sheets (300 threads per inch & above)? How are they?
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #20

Currently sleeping on a 800 count JC Penny second from most expensive set bought during a good sale I'm told ($60). These are nice compared to the micro fiber and the cheapo Dollar General brand I first tried. I'll probably get them again when needed. DW always took care these things and would toss out the old if they pilled or ripped.

5 years seems a long time considering how much use they get.